What can I put on dry skin?

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Once again, we are battling Morgan's seasonal allergy outbreak. We started his medication early this year, because we knew it would be bad with the mild winter. So far, so good. No rashes, no hot spots, no red ears, etc.

However, on top of allergy season it is extremely DRY, and you can see that is also getting to Morgan's sensitive skin. One spot near his left eyebrow is especially dry and flakey. I imagine that isn't helping his itchiness at all, either. :(

So my question is this: Is there something I can use to help relieve his dry spots? I have Aveeno Baby lotion and St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter... but clearly those are people products. LOL! Is there a specific dog product that I should look for instead? Or might the things I have be okay?

I just feel so bad for him. :( Allergies are bad enough without this dry weather!

swabby

Once again, we are battling Morgan's seasonal allergy outbreak. We started his medication early this year, because we knew it would be bad with the mild winter. So far, so good. No rashes, no hot spots, no red ears, etc.

However, on top of allergy season it is extremely DRY, and you can see that is also getting to Morgan's sensitive skin. One spot near his left eyebrow is especially dry and flakey. I imagine that isn't helping his itchiness at all, either. :(

So my question is this: Is there something I can use to help relieve his dry spots? I have Aveeno Baby lotion and St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter... but clearly those are people products. LOL! Is there a specific dog product that I should look for instead? Or might the things I have be okay?

I just feel so bad for him. :( Allergies are bad enough without this dry weather!

Since my dogs spend so much time in the summer, in and out of salt water and in the sun, I use Allerderm spot treatment on them. I have been very happy with it. My Vet suggested it, because it turned out Stormy was allergic to our laundry detergent and was scratching and losing hair.

ETA: Best price I have found is from Amazon, it comes from the UK.
I also give them salmon oil.

MicksMom

I love Bag Balm for stuff like the spot over his eye. I second Swabby's suggestion about the Salmon Oil. I get them in the vitamin/pharmacy department in WalMart.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like Mushers Secret for dry spots. I even use it on myself when my hands get dry in the winter!

I like it even more after it seems to have cured Juno's abdominal rash that we had been fighting for a while.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Thank you for all the input! I went ahead and dabbed some of the Aveeno on him since that is what I have, but definitely going to look into the other suggestions. Thank you!

Morgan (aka King Itchy) thanks you all, too! :D

Corey101

Fish oils are always good to try and the bag balm is a great idea as well. Giving him a bath in oatmeal shampoo (I'm sure your vet already suggested that) can help as well.
This is a very bad allergy season, good luck!

Members online