Got a question

LEM

KEANU & SAGE!
I have a 3 year old German Shepherd Dog, and also a Pekingnese Mix. I brought home a Jack Russell Terrier today. The Female Pekingnese gets along with the male Jack Russell Puppy but the male German Shepherd is one minute, they get along and the next, they're barking at eachother.

What could the the issue?

LEM

KEANU & SAGE!
Bump....please, I need some advice here. My GSD gets along with everyone else but this Jack pup. I dont understand what the deal is.

bitme

I'd suggest to give the new dog a few weeks to adjust to new home and you. Use a kennel and let them get to know each other through a barrier with brief supervised free time. Hope it works out.

LEM

KEANU & SAGE!
Well that was my thing too, I had him in a crate, and Keanu (GSD) went over to Raylan (JR) and they're find until I take Raylan out of the crate, but its not Keanu who starts it. He just wants to finish it and i'm worried that the pup will get into something he cant get himself out of.

~Tucker&Me~

I believe GSDs and JRs are both known for same-sex aggression... Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

You may never be able to trust them together without direct supervision, just a warning :(

LEM

KEANU & SAGE!
I wish someone would have informed me of this 'need-to-know' information. Would have been helpful. lol. Anyway, I called my relatives and as much as it hurt to do it, cause hes a cute bugger, i had to inform them that i'm returning him tomorrow.

~Tucker&Me~

I wish someone would have informed me of this 'need-to-know' information. Would have been helpful. lol. Anyway, I called my relatives and as much as it hurt to do it, cause hes a cute bugger, i had to inform them that i'm returning him tomorrow.
Oh gosh, I wasn't trying to convince you to give him back! Though if you feel as though you don't want to have to juggle two dogs who don't like each other, it may be for the best. The thing is, even if they are great 80% or 90% of the time, it can be quite stressful wondering when the next time one of them decides not to like the other is. This would probably be especially true with having such a large size difference between your GSD and JR, because if they duked it out and you weren't fast enough you could end up with a very dead dog :( I know for me that is part of the reason I try to avoid breeds with higher likelihoods of same-sex or dog-dog aggression... It's not that it can't happen with my dogs, it's just that I want to put the odds in my favour lol.

Not to be preachy, but I always advise people to do their own research on every kind of pet they want to bring into their house. This is true for small pets like fish (OMG some of the store employees know absolutely JACK all... I once saw an employee recommend a young cichlid who would grow up to be large and VERY aggressive for some poor dude's 20g community tank :wall:) up to the larger animals as well. Even spending an hours worth of time online googling will provide a ton of info. Definitely worth the time, imo :) At the end of the day yeah someone could have told you something wrong or omitted important info, but ultimately it is up to you to do your own research. You definitely don't want to rely on other people for that kind of stuff, trust me... :lol-sign:

That totally sucks to get attached and have to give him back though... :( *hug*

Aleron

Having a male GSD and JRT together can be a bit iffy because both breeds are known to have same sex aggression issues. And with the size difference, that makes it even more risky. However, I don't think this issue is same sex aggression. Same sex aggression is generally doesn't show up until both dogs involved are mature and it often esculates very quickly. Of course, your dogs may not have these issues - you wouldn't know for sure until the puppy is grown up.

This sounds more like what I'd think of as a communication issue between two dogs who don't know each other. When my PyrShep Savvy was a young pup, he and my friend's Brittany (about a year older than Savvy) would go through this. At first all they did was bark at each other. Then gradually, they started playing but at first could only play for a few minutes without starting the barking again. It took management (putting them together for a few minutes at a time, then separating them) but they eventually learned to adjust to each other's play style. Now they are BFFs :)

LEM

KEANU & SAGE!
I didnt give Raylan back because i found out that the relatives who had him, didnt feed him but twice daily, and i'm under the assumption, that puppies eat about 4 times a day atleast. Good news is that my sister in New York is gonna take him if i can get him safely to her. I know she'll take care of him.

Members online

No members online now.