Bad behavior rubbing off

JPuckett1989

Slowly but surely......
Is it just me or do normally well tempered dogs seem to act out more when around other misbehaving dogs?

Went back home this weekend for my brothers wedding and there were 4 dogs in the house two of them being my brothers dogs who doesn't know what he's doing with them,and his newest puppy lucy is a little demon,and it seemed like sadie picked up on her bad behavior and was doing things she normally wouldn't do,and didn't listen to me half the time.

Is there anyway to break this?

Snark

Mutts to you
Well, she is a youngster and that's a heck of a lot of distraction for her to handle so I wouldn't be too hard on her. What was the bad behavior? Maybe next time, keep her on leash, have some really high value treats and get her to do something (sit, eye contact, come, whatever), reward heavily, then let her go play (preferably outdoors in a fenced area). At various times (especially if the dogs have wound down a bit), call her, reward her and let her go again.

I've been letting Riley off leash to run with the older dogs on my neighbor's 60 acres. He ignored me the first few times but the older dogs always come when I call, so he followed them and they all got rewarded and turned loose again. He's starting to learn that my calling him in doesn't mean playtime is over and he's also picking up the older dogs' habit of 'checking in' (if I don't keep up with them, they come back to find me).

JPuckett1989

Slowly but surely......
Well, she is a youngster and that's a heck of a lot of distraction for her to handle so I wouldn't be too hard on her. What was the bad behavior? Maybe next time, keep her on leash, have some really high value treats and get her to do something (sit, eye contact, come, whatever), reward heavily, then let her go play (preferably outdoors in a fenced area). At various times (especially if the dogs have wound down a bit), call her, reward her and let her go again.

I've been letting Riley off leash to run with the older dogs on my neighbor's 60 acres. He ignored me the first few times but the older dogs always come when I call, so he followed them and they all got rewarded and turned loose again. He's starting to learn that my calling him in doesn't mean playtime is over and he's also picking up the older dogs' habit of 'checking in' (if I don't keep up with them, they come back to find me).
The bad behavior was not coming when called,especially outside,jumping up on me in the kitchen if I went and got a treat,pacing around the table. I've been training her at home,and i'm able to take her outside now without a leash,which gives her more freedom to do what she needs to do and just makes it over all easier,and faster,and I got her to immediately come inside now when I start walking towards the house and she wasn't doing that at my parents house either. But you're right,she is still young,and 3 other dogs was probably just OMG DOG OMG DOG OMG DOG OMG DOG for her constantly.

Maura

Remember that dogs don't generalize, so her not listening to you is to be expected, especially with all of the distractions. I find it works best if I put my dog through his paces as soon as we come to a new place. This would be in the front yard, back yard, and in all rooms in the house we will be in.

Members online

No members online now.