Dog #2! Curious about her makeup...

jessm78

I just adopted a second dog, another rescue. Her name is Lucy and they believe she's around a year and a half old. She's from Louisiana (was abandoned by her family when they moved away, sad story). They first mentioned her as a "pocket coonie", as she's tri-colored like a Treeing Walker Coonhound, but she's very small. She's 30 lbs and I'd say she's about the size of the 15-inch variety Beagle. Her face does seem pretty beagle-ish, but her muzzle seems a bit longer and not as square as a beagle's... maybe more like a foxhound's. I thought at first that it looked a bit like a Dachshund's. When she's alert, her ears will perk up quite a bit. We wondered if she could have a bit of terrier in her too, but I'm really not sure.

Here are some pictures of her. In the first one, she is on the left and my 2 1/2 year old coonhound Abby (small Treeing Walker or English Coonhound, 20 inches tall, weight in the 40s) is on the right.

They're a bit too large to post here so I'll link to them.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I guess I could get a DNA test done, but I had one done for Abby and some of the results were a little far-fetched (1/4 Greyhound, 1/4 Beagle, 1/2 Treeing Walker Coonhound), so I question their accuracy. I had the Wisdom Panel one done, I've heard blood DNA tests might be better but my vet doesn't do them.

jessm78

Thanks guys for the input. Her face does look pretty foxhound-ish to me. She's so small she's kind of like a mini me, lol. Her bark is even a bit higher-pitched (with a bit of howl sometimes). My coonhound's bark is quite a bit deeper (well duh I guess since she's bigger).

Living in deer dog country, I've seen plenty of purebred 'hunting' beagles that look more like her than an AKC beagle. The ones that are run on deer tend to be leggy and racier looking than the typical beagle.

Are foxhounds common in your area? I'd tend to believe she's a walker/beagle mix before a foxhound.

jessm78

Thank you so much! :)

Neither walkers nor foxhounds are really common in my area... I'm in NY about 30 miles from NYC. She is originally from Louisiana though - Monroe area I believe. The rescue group hails from that area and they save a lot of walkers... some foxhounds, but mostly walkers. I guess she could very well be a beagle/walker mix... her face seems to resemble a walker's in miniature (kind of like a beagle vs. a pocket beagle).

Miakoda

As someone who lives down here, it could be a Treeing Walker crossed with a Beagle. I know of some people that purposefully make the mix, but they are novices that can't work either breed successfully therefore they feel they must cross them to achieve their goals.

However, there are sooooooooo many byb and poorly bred Beagles down here. Obviously the real working Beagles don't look like those fancy ones prancing in the show rings, and there is a little variance between breeders, but there are a lot of country folk that just breed whether it's to breed and sell to unsuspecting folk or it's an "oopsie" litter.

jessm78

Thanks for the input, Miakoda. Very interesting. :) I've been looking for both Beagle and Treeing Walker instincts in her. So far she doesn't seem to tree like my coonhound (unsure if she's TW or English - DNA test showed TW but her coloring is more like an English) Abby. But who knows, maybe she could have been bred to not have much of that instinct?

Thanks for bringing up the brb as well, that had also crossed my mind. A neighbor used to have a beagle who didn't resemble the fancy AKC show-ring Beagles, and Lucy actually reminds me of her a bit in terms of looks. Now that you mention that, it brings me back to her story...her family moved & abandoned her, and before that they purposefully left their gates open so she could escape. According to the rescue group, they just didn't want her. Maybe they didn't think she looked like the beagle they were hoping for. I could be way off the mark but it does make me wonder.

Pops2

running walkers are pretty common in NY. and crossing them with rabbit beagles is one way they quickly make bigger leggier snowshoe hare "beagles"

jessm78

Interesting, thanks Pops2. That might explain why I haven't seen the treeing behavior in her (although she does sometimes jump up on people - not sure if that's just because she's still very young and energetic). She is quite a runner, just about as good as my coonhound.

Members online