Sibes and other northern breeds

Romy

Taxiderpy
We are having this discussion because I refuse to get and discard dog after dog finding what works. I want to figure it out beforehand, get a dog, and have it have been the right choice. If I wasnt set on that, I would be another Jairi and I wouldnt be bitching about having to reject the GSD and Akita because of unsuitabilities. Iv got half a dozen people in person and online telling me a watered down Sibe would do perfectly, and half a dozen people telling me that NO Sibe, on ANY part of the spectrum, will suit me. I just dont know. This is why Im HERE, asking stupid questions.
I definitely think that fostering some sibes or sibe x would be a really enlightening step. Everybody has different definitions for terms like "drivey" and "sharp" and different ideas of what is a lot of activity and what is normal which is probably why you're getting a variety of answers. With fostering you'll get an idea of what exactly you do and don't like, and that information will help you find the right breed/lines for your needs. :)

Lyzelle

I think the reason many of us aren't clamoring to tell you a watered down Sibe *might* be okay is because we are basically telling you to go out and get a poorly bred dog that doesn't represent the breed well. It's an awkward position.

But they exceed your height, weight and sport needs, too. So that makes it more complicated.

Equinox

Malinois look like coyotes on steroids, they would be dangerous in ID. -_-
I actually remember reading somewhere that there was a Malinois that got mistaken for a deer while loping through the forest. Considering that it was a large Malinois, I can actually kind of see how that would happen :eek: (thankfully the dog is fine).

Romy

Taxiderpy
I actually remember reading somewhere that there was a Malinois that got mistaken for a deer while loping through the forest. Considering that it was a large Malinois, I can actually kind of see how that would happen :eek: (thankfully the dog is fine).
The caretaker for the church campground had a beautiful fawn dane that was shot by someone who thought it was a deer. It was heartbreaking. She totally did look like a deer too, until she slowed down enough you could see her head.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I even cover Ozzy in orange and keep everyone in sight during deer season, and we typically stay out of the woods this time of year. But this year we actually live IN the woods, so staying out isn't an option.

And personally, I don't think she needs a GSD at all. They need a certain type of owner, and by her own admission, she's not it. So don't get a bloody GSD. That's simple there, isn't it?

Knox is a screaming banshee who will nail you when he's over threshold and frustrated, which is entirely my fault. But I love that drive (not the screaming though, I could totally do without that) and some people don't. Simple as.

I was GOING to say it's entirely possible to find a smaller working line GSD who fits your size requirements. Knox is 24 inches at the shoulder, and when he's not off his food, is about 60 pounds to 65 at working weight. But you'd give him back in less than 24 hours because he's a demanding jerk who WILL ignore people whom he doesn't respect. And currently, there's only about three people he listens to. Me, my boss, and his breeder. He blows Steven off constantly, flat out ignores my mother, and runs all over my brother and sisters. I don't care, because he loves and respects me.

monkeys23

Yes, exactly - I don't want a dog with high suspicion because my dog is my day to day companion first and foremost, and that means I take him everywhere I can with me. Trent is very stable, breezes through large crowds when I take him to sidewalk sales, and while he doesn't look forward to meeting new people, he's been known to fall in love with strangers once or twice :) He allows people to walk through our door if someone is there to greet them, and even then if guests walk in unannounced, he'll alert bark at most. A frightening display, but with no meaning behind the action. He hardly bats an eye at people walking past our house or our car, if we're in a parking lot.

But, if he senses any genuine nervousness or fear from me, he jumps into action (and I admit to scaring easily). And not as a human or fear reactive dog would. Luckily, it's always been false alarms and a pat on the side or a "it's okay, Trent" calms him down almost immediately. He's very conscious of me even when he is acting on a perceived threat, and has displayed excellent discernment in the past.

It helps that he is 3 1/2 now and finally growing that brain of his :) In dog less self aware or mentally balanced (whether due to age or maturity), or in a dog with lower thresholds and stronger suspicion or a sharper temperament, this can become something that is difficult to manage... especially if handled by the wrong person. Some traits inherent to the breed can be misinterpreted and then mishandled, or simply not recognized or dealt with at all.

Even in a lower drive, higher threshold, "pet quality" dog like Trent, it took a while for me to really know my dog and what I had (and by that, I mean a great dog and a poor personal understanding of the type I owned :eek:). As a first time dog owner, I managed well, in my opinion, and without much effort to be honest. Just a basic understanding and the realization that my expectations weren't very informed. So if someone wanted a dog that would not display aggression, then I'd definitely recommend against German Shepherds, among many other breeds.
I'm so glad you've had such a good first dog experience! I really love a GSD with a good balance of breed traits... they are just such awesome dogs.

Oh absolutely, and I don't mean to say or imply that it's the breeder's fault at all. I can see how it may have come off that way to anyone else, so just to let everyone know, I don't fault the breeder the least! I remember the Shepherd's owner posting a picture of the dog's littermate and he was just fine. And, as I said, the dog's temperament sounds just stellar.

She recently updated on a smaller GSD forum I'm a member of, with a quick picture and post.
I know you didn't mean anythnig like that, its just good to clarify for those who might be lurking. :) Thats awesome, I'm glad she's doing so well with her dog! He sounds like he's a great fit for her.

Oh geez, I could go two weeks without training or exercising Trent and he'd still just nap his way through the day. He's so calm around the house he's flat out boring. I wish he'd do more! I love practicing indoor pictures, but all of them are just of him looking at me (points to signature).
Erm, yeah the girlies are "special." It probably doesn't hurt that I have a hard time sitting still too, lol. They stare at me like that too, but its more like Stewie Griffin going, "Mom, mom, mom, mom..."

Lily and Scout sound like such a fun pair to be around! There should be some sort of PNW meet up - I've been wanting to meet katielou (I can't remember if she's in Seattle or an hour away from Seattle) and steal Abe. I'll nab your pair while I'm at it.

Always love hearing your thoughts, monkeys!
I think they are, but then I'm super biased! :D Oh man that would be really fun! Some summer we should all do that. And Adrianne will be in OR soon! The girls would totally love you nabbing them, they are shameless attention whores LOL.

Thanks, that is nice to hear. Sometimes I get kinda shy about voicing my views, trying to get over that lol.:p

monkeys23

Someone's buckskin horse got killed here like five or six years ago. And another person's sorrel horse got shot because some asshat from Boise got overexcited. Sigh, its fun when city people come out to our mountains. The rednecks are actually a lot less trigger happy than the yuppies who think they are going to come shoot a deer/elk/whatever.

monkeys23

And personally, I don't think she needs a GSD at all. They need a certain type of owner, and by her own admission, she's not it. So don't get a bloody GSD. That's simple there, isn't it?

Knox is a screaming banshee who will nail you when he's over threshold and frustrated, which is entirely my fault. But I love that drive (not the screaming though, I could totally do without that) and some people don't. Simple as.

I was GOING to say it's entirely possible to find a smaller working line GSD who fits your size requirements. Knox is 24 inches at the shoulder, and when he's not off his food, is about 60 pounds to 65 at working weight. But you'd give him back in less than 24 hours because he's a demanding jerk who WILL ignore people whom he doesn't respect. And currently, there's only about three people he listens to. Me, my boss, and his breeder. He blows Steven off constantly, flat out ignores my mother, and runs all over my brother and sisters. I don't care, because he loves and respects me.
Knox is such a cool crazy boy, I'd love to meet him. Scout does the exact same thing of going over the top in drive. Another thing I think wouldn't be a problem if I'd had her since she was a pup, but no way in hell I'd pay what her first adopter paid to adopt her from the shelter at 12wks old. No way.

Playing fetch with her is fun. We're working on her overexcitement, but I still get nice bruises sometimes. At least she doesn't nip my butt when I pick up her toy anymore, lol.

Both mine ignore people they don't respect too. They just act like they don't know what that person is talking about.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Someone's buckskin horse got killed here like five or six years ago. And another person's sorrel horse got shot because some asshat from Boise got overexcited. Sigh, its fun when city people come out to our mountains. The rednecks are actually a lot less trigger happy than the yuppies who think they are going to come shoot a deer/elk/whatever.
That's awful. And yeah, that's been our experience too. My grandma had a jersey cow that she had to paint C O W on with blaze orange paint every hunting season because idiots from the city would come down and shoot at the cow. She also had about 200 pekin ducks (pure white) in her front yard. My mom says one time they had to call the police because some idiot city hunter came in their yard and started shooting their ducks in the direction of the kids playing with the ducks.

One of my borzoi breeder friends had to rush her little red bitch in to the vet when a dove hunter trespassed on her acreage and decided to shoot her dog broadside with his shotgun. She turned out okay, but dude was he lucky. She was so worried about rushing her to the vet that she didn't get a chance to kill the stupid jerk/bring about criminal charges and sue him before he escaped.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Yeah Ill definitely look into a foster situation. I sent a PM to the gal with the ANCD so we will see what comes of that

Any other breed suggestions?

monkeys23

What about a Keeshond?

Medium sized, really fluffy, biddable, fun to train, and should if well bred be able to do whatever you want to. But a LOT more average pet owner friendly than the other breeds you've been looking at. ;)

http://www.keeshond.org/
http://www.akc.org/breeds/keeshond/index.cfm

My friend had a Keesh puppy. She was really awesome, but she sadly died @ six months old because she was from a puppy mill. Essentially her body stopped producing red blood cells and she had to be put down. It was really sad, but I relate that so that you take the time to do research through the official breed club and find a reputable breeder that does all required health testing (OFA hips/elbows/CERF/Cardiac and tests for PHPT), actually does stuff with their dogs, and breeds for good temperament.

Honestly I could see a Keesh being a really good fit. You could foster through rescue too probably, to see if one would be a good fit. Should be able to easily find people in your area active in the breed through the official breed club website, so that you can meet a bunch of dogs and learn more about the breed.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
A bit too small, keeshonds. Im seeing 35-45 lbs? If thats correct, thats too small. Is there another spitz thats larger? The german spitz have like 5 size varieties right?

monkeys23

Also my dog in my avatar is 47lbs... people guess she's a lot heavier because of her height/length/size overall. Sled dog types are a lot lighter than similarly sized dogs of other breeds. Lily looks waaaaaaaay bigger than my parent's BC, but they are within 3lbs of each other, Will is just heavier boned than Lily is. ;)

I've had people guess Lily's weight at 60-70lbs. Just seemed really weird to me. Everyone says she's a big dog though.

First you are looking for a medium sized dog, now you are saying you want a large breed dog. Seriously dude make up your mind. :rolleyes:

monkeys23

Please dear god in heaven do NOT get an Akita. They would not be a good fit for you. Please trust me.

I really like them, but yeah.... hello DA, guarding capabilities (they were orginally created for hunting and dog fighting in Japan :rolleyes: ), same Spitz aloofness, and generally honey badger don't care what you want. ;)
My old neighbors had a 4 dog team of huskies and Akitas. I dogsat their new puppy. Awesome dogs, but they would NOT be a good fit for what you describe wanting.

Romy

Taxiderpy
A bit too small, keeshonds. Im seeing 35-45 lbs? If thats correct, thats too small. Is there another spitz thats larger? The german spitz have like 5 size varieties right?
Samoyeds are in the right size range, and being a reindeer herding type are a lot easier to manage than a sibe.

Norwegian elkhounds might be worth looking into. They're sort of shepherdy, sort of houndy, sort of spitzy, I have no idea if they're what you're looking for but they're in the size range. The ones I have known were a lot less naughty and active than sibes but more independent than a GSD.

There are Finnish spitz, but I think they're more around 30 lbs.

Members online

No members online now.