"Last meal" photo project - thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/artist-and-chef-julia-zie_n_1773210.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009#slide=1373678

I find it abit macabre yet interesting. Why are people that have done heinous, disgusting things granted a order of whatever they'd like to eat as a last supper anyways? shouldn't they just be sustained on bread and water all the way through?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_meal#Documented_last_meal_requests

Some very...interesting meal requests for sure.

If I was on death row I don't think I'd request anything for a last meal...whatever the circumstances. I'd probably just ask for some broth and bread and let them get it over with....

Teal

...ice road...
At first, I didn't want to open this thread, because I thought it was going to be about shelter dogs...

...but when I realized it was about inmates, I thought it was awesome! Very interesting to see their last requests... that is how they wanted to be remembered, and I think it says a lot about them. Fascinating project!

Romy

Taxiderpy
If I was on death row I don't think I'd request anything for a last meal...whatever the circumstances. I'd probably just ask for some broth and bread and let them get it over with....
Yeah, I'd probably throw up if I tried to eat right before I was scheduled to be executed. lol

Miakoda

I'm for the death penalty.

I'm also for providing a "last meal" service. Why? I really have no idea except that I believe it's an act of human decency and kindness.

Forgiveness is one of the hardest things in the world, and people surely commit some crimes that I cannot imagine forgiving. But condemnation is not mine. As a Christian, we are taught to love and forgive, as we are forgiven, through God's grace (trust me...as a person, I don't have that kind of grace or strength). So while I believe in consequences and punishments, I don't believe in behaving cruelly to another, especially when they are at our mercy. I dunno. I don't think I'd want to be that person to deliver that last meal, but if it meant showing love and kindness as we've been directed to do, I'd do it.

For those that are interested, "Riven" is a WONDERFUL book! It is Christian Fiction, but it's amazing (and not "preachy"...or so I believe it not to be). It really changed my views on criminals, the death penalty (I still believe in it, but it helped me remove my anger from the thought process), and how we perceive each other as human beings.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't believe in the death penalty.
but since it exists.. I think the last meal idea is a good one. They are going to die. one way or another. Why not show them SOME kindness? I don't think that doing a horrible thing/things means you deserve to die a horrible death and never have any joy in your life.

I always kind of compare it all to Azkaban (for those who aren't aware/hp fans, it's a fictional prison where all the joy is sucked out of prisoners for all eternity).. there have been cases where I have thought about who I think "deserves" to be in a place like that.. and frankly, I've come up with no-one that I feel deserves to face that kind of empty cruelty.

With that said, I think the last meal project is REALLY interesting in a weird way. This one was especially weird for me.. because these are my brothers FAVORITE foods and favorite films.

How odd that two people who are morally NOTHING alike could be so..similar..

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yeah, how often do condemned dogs -- who are dying for no reason other than human screw up -- get a special last meal?
I remember reading a story about a shelter who started giving the dogs canned food instead of dry kibble for their last meal :(

Members online

No members online now.