Tricks and Training

SaraB

Awesome foot stall! How could you go about training this by yourself? I can't see any one laying on the floor for me like that, hehe
I couldn't come up with a feasible way. I tried laying on my back with my legs on a desk chair and having her stall on my knees but that didn't really work. I thought for a good week on trying some other way and seriously couldn't think of anything other than this. So ya. I don't know!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
HAHAHAHA! Sara, you need to start a Rent-A-Tim service to help people train footstalls! :p

Also, I didn't see any c/t going on for the helper being so helpful. :lol-sign:

SaraB

HAHAHAHA! Sara, you need to start a Rent-A-Tim service to help people train footstalls! :p

Also, I didn't see any c/t going on for the helper being so helpful. :lol-sign:
Well for proper husband training, one has to adopt the dominance theory way of training. :cool:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
HAHAHAHA!

Welp, here is the video. I hate/love watching these videos because it's embarrasing how inefficient of a trainer I am, it's really a miracle that Frodo can even sit :lol-sign: but I like seeing all the things that I'm doing wrong.

This is the first non-behavior mod training we have done since starting meds. Even though the meds aren't at full capacity yet, it was awesome to have a dog that was THINKING about what he was doing instead of him going "OMG I don't know what you want *stresspant* *stresspant* *laysdown* *BARKBARKBARKBARK* Tell me what the eff you want?!??!?!!"

http://youtu.be/0atgSzRJQWg

Also, yes Froman is a little bit more chubby than normal. With all the work we have been doing since seeing Dr. D there really isn't too many places that I can cut calories. And since he has been having pretty large fluctuations between calm, collected awesome little corgi and snarly Cujo dog that would GLADLY take a chunk out of people while he gets used to his meds, I've been trying to keep him away from any crowded environments (like hiking trails) where I can't control people. Which means less calories burned.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I love it! Super cute, how'd you start?

I have some of those lean treats (I think that's the brand) from several clients and all of my dogs love them, maybe something to look into? He looks fine to me though.

Brattina88

I've been working in training Bailey to jump in my arms... this is hard for her because she is super aware of her personal space lol. But we're making good progress! And this will be a very helpful trick methinks. :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Kastle's leg weaving has come a long way - he's matured so much the last couple of months! He used to bark and air snap and muzzle punch my hands.

Like this...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wGpve9QdKho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:rofl1:

Getting loud mouth to shut it would be a trick in itself. :p

PS Kastle looks great, I like the calm attention!

ETA: Backup heel free, we have some polishing and it's 3minutes long but I figure I'll share. :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ejMiFC53cgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Picklepaige

I'm starting targeting (I think that's what it's called...I'm still new lol) with front paws today. The goal is to get Maggie to put both of her front paws on a raised platform (a book for now.) I'll be videoing it and putting it on here, so hopefully you guys can critique me! The only thing I've taught with a clicker and shaping so far is "back up," so this definitely requires a few more steps.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I love it! Super cute, how'd you start?

I have some of those lean treats (I think that's the brand) from several clients and all of my dogs love them, maybe something to look into? He looks fine to me though.
I cheated. My straight pointer finger touching the ground has been the cue for flop on your side for a long time now, initially as prep for nail work. Now nail work is done with Ryan holding Frodo, so I figured I would put the cue to better use. Started by just sticking out my thumb while the pointer finger was on the ground, and gradually moving it off the ground.

FG167

Yes! Precisely like that! Why do they have to bark/air snap as they're headed to go under the crotch?! Just to add excitement?? LOL

His heeling looks fantastic!

I stopped doing obedience with Kastle for about 4 months now. He was getting too loaded in heel position and leaking, consistently. Now, I've noticed with maturity he's a little less...well, nutso, so I'm hoping that when I start up with obedience again he'll be more together. That's probably totally futile but I can hold onto the hope until I start again! :rofl1:

SaraB

We officially have a footstall! Just working on balance and duration at this point. This is by far the most awkward thing I've ever had to train... mostly because Zuma tried to stall on every other part of my body rather than my feet.

First video is a quick video of one of her stalls. Yes, my feet arn't straight but seriously this is waaay tougher than it looks!
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX8TJKf2-4k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX8TJKf2-4k?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Second video is about 3 minutes long, includes the many attempts with a nice stall at the end.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvsqMEsEBVg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TvsqMEsEBVg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Taqroy

LOVE Zuma's foot stall. I also love the way she just kind of slid off your legs every time she tried to stall on your shins lol.

Me and Murphy are working on leg weaves. This is our second session.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/igYxMmasPZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mu is working on perch (and not very gracefully).
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eF5dAPTMTBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tipper is just being my darling Tipper. We're supposed to be working on removing her loathing of her harness but halfway through she decided Matt going in and out of the house was FAR more exciting. So we worked on performing under distraction instead.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/foUWFn2w0PI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FG167

I'm in love with this thread!

Zuma is sooo impressive - I don't have a dog that is anywhere near light/graceful enough to teach that too!

I cracked up watching Mu perch - just like Eden - lots of enthusiasm, little grace :)

Tonight I started to teach Kastle to weave backwards through my legs. Eden has nailed 4 weaves, onto 6 next. Limit is learning how to back-up-as-fast-as-he-can-and-then-fall-down-and-bark-like-a-loon...he has that pretty mastered.

SaraB

Taqroy, all those look fabulous!! What I love the most is your use of reward placement, you have killer technique! Murphy is too stinkin cute, you can go ahead and send him to me anytime.

SaraB

Tonight I started to teach Kastle to weave backwards through my legs. Eden has nailed 4 weaves, onto 6 next. Limit is learning how to back-up-as-fast-as-he-can-and-then-fall-down-and-bark-like-a-loon...he has that pretty mastered.
VIDEO OF LIMIT NEEDED.

(that is all.)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
How are you training the backwards weaving with Kastle? I considered it with Backup this weekend (lol at both of us saying no then saying "hmmmm") but I think he needs a stronger "reverse" command?

FG167

VIDEO OF LIMIT NEEDED.

(that is all.)
I worked on this while Jason was gone last night and he says the same thing - he wants to see him because he wants to laugh LOL Limit is pretty laugh-worthy!

How are you training the backwards weaving with Kastle? I considered it with Backup this weekend (lol at both of us saying no then saying "hmmmm") but I think he needs a stronger "reverse" command?
Kastle learns the very best if I keep him moving and don't ask him to think until his body almost already knows what it is doing. So, I'm just thrusting food in his face and having him back up through my legs and then switching food hands and legs and doing the same (I can try to video but it is HIDEOUS right now).

After one session, we can do steps - with a strong lure. He already figured out that hitting my leg and sliding down to sit on my foot is not right so now he's whipping his butt around trying to find the "hole" my legs make. He totally gets he's supposed to be backing up in some way...LOL

Not going to lie, the hardest part of this was figuring out HOW to lure him and move my body out of the way but so that he understood the cue. I wasted several minutes tripping over myself or him and tossing food in the air ;)

ETA: the reason I'm not using his "back" command is that I want that to stay meaning to back up straight, vs this which is all wonky crooked.

Members online

No members online now.