Doggie Author Bo Hoefinger Answers the Dames' Dozen

Bofinger

Interview by Christy French, one of the Dames'.

I’d like to preface this by stating, as a dog lover, I truly appreciate what Bo is doing with his enjoyable and fun-to-read book. It’s dedicated to shelter workers, rescue groups, and animal welfare proponents, and 10% of the proceeds are donated to help homeless dogs and cats. Read Bo's adoption chapter below the interview.

DOGGIE BLOGGER AND AUTHOR BO HOEFINGER ANSWERS THE DAMES’ DOZEN

April 6, 2010 in Animals we love, Author & Celebrity Interviews

Welcome to Dames of Dialogue, Bo. You’re the first dog we’ve interviewed and this is one interview I’ve really looked forward to. Tell us about your book, Bad to the Bone, Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger.

First, let me say, I’m honored to be the first dog to be interviewed on Dames of Dialogue. Bad To The Bone is a memoir written through the eyes of man’s best friend, the family dog. That’s me, Bo.

My book focuses on how I—and two seemingly normal people—wreak havoc on an unsuspecting world while creating a lifelong bond in the process. All the stories are true and will leave dog lovers laughing out loud. The only tears you will shed are tears of laughter.

I’ve dedicated my book to all the rescue and shelter workers who make this world a better place, one animal at a time. I donate 10% of my proceeds to help homeless dogs…and cats.

You’ve gotten some really great reviews for your book. Any particular ones special to you?

I especially like the reviews where the reader writes the book made them laugh out loud. That’s exactly why I wrote the book, to make people laugh at the crazy antics that happen when you have a dog in your life. Hopefully, the book will give you a little break from the seriousness of what’s happening in the world and remind you of the special bond between pet and owner.

One of my favorites, besides yours, is by a reader named Sarah. It starts off ‘The best book I’ve read all year.’ Let’s just hope she’s read more than one.

Your book is dedicated to shelter workers, rescue groups and animal welfare proponents, calling them “unsung heroesâ€. I agree. As a former shelter dog (and I have to state here, they do make the best pets!), what advice would you give to those (of the two-legged variety) wanting to adopt?

First off, anyone and everyone who is involved in helping to rescue dogs (and all animals) get a big bark out from me. I dedicated my book to them because they are truly the unsung heroes for the voiceless among us. I can’t thank them enough for all they do!!

For potential owners, the best words of wisdom I can share is to make sure you get a pup that fits into your lifestyle. If you’re lazy, get some dog like me. If you live in an apartment, get a tiny pup. If you’re aloof and like animals pooping in your house, get a cat.

Every dog has the potential to change a human’s life, given the opportunity. One lonely, frightened dog sitting in cage staring back at you in a shelter can make a bigger difference in your life than you would ever expect.

I got a kick out of the sweet couple who adopted you and all they went through. How do they feel about your success as an author?

I don’t know about my success as an author, but thank you. I think I’ll know I made it when I’m up there with Marley and Enzo. My folks are proud of my determination, and that as a young pup I learned to never accept the word ‘no’. It’s not always easy being a writer in a fur suit, but I learned the only one that can set limits on you, is you. If you believe in something, go for it. Regardless of species or breed.

As of the time the book was published, you were 1 for 433 in the ongoing squirrel chase (poor Rocky). Is that status quo or has it changed?

Unfortunately, no. And lately, the only thing I’ve caught is a cold.

Since you’ve broken ground for other dogs, what advice would you give for a dog just starting out in this field?

Do it as a hobby and have fun with it…all else is gravy.

Describe a typical writing day for you.

I get up, have breakfast, write between 10 am-noon, and then nap. Repeat for lunch and dinner, minus the writing.

What’s your favorite snack?

Peanut Butter. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a Kong, smothered on one of my daily pills, or fed to me on a spoon. Anything that hides a tasty treat is a winner in my book…maybe that’s why I like the kitty litter box so much.

What’s your favorite pastime?

Since I’m about 107 in people years, it would have to be napping and being waited on hand and paw.

Which do you prefer, being a Yankee dog or a Southern dog?

Well, I was born a Yankee dog, so that’s what I’ll always be at heart. But you can’t beat southern cooking. Who wouldn’t like everything, including their dog food, fried?

Woof!

Members online

No members online now.