Anyone Ever Use a Low Cost Spay/ Neuter Clinic?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
VIctor was neutered at the Humane society clinic.

Amstaffer

Never used one but I have a friend that volunteers at one and she says in five years they have never lost a dog and they do a ton of them (they have a long waiting list). She did hear of a female Chi dying at another one across town. I guess the Chi died before the surgery even began, they figured it was a reaction to the drugs.

If you do, make sure you still do the blood screen before, that is a must IMHO.

Saeleofu

Keep in mind most low cost spay/neuter clinics don't do bloodwork, fluids, monitoring, etc like a regular clinic, so there is more of a risk. Of course there's a risk with any anesthetic procedure, regardless of where you get it done, but the risk goes up if the "extras" are cut out. Also, if they do a lot of surgeries, things may be hurried and not done as well as they should be. I know thew humane society here uses hydromorphone, but they inject it IM, which usually causes vomiting. Why do they do it? It's faster, and can be done by one person. At the clinic I work at, we give hydromorphone, but we give it IV.

Heck, I wouldn't even use a non-AAHA clinic, personally.

Also remember that some clinics do have an income cutoff. The one here is for families that make $40,000 a year or less. The humane society will also do it fairly cheap for people with 3 or more intact animals, regardless of income.

Are you talking of the one in Newmarket?

That is where I got Marley spayed (every one around here want 500 yea right that's crazy). It was very good there. staff were great, nice and answerd any and all questions.

Only thing they ask is DO NOT come back before 5pm. My boyfriend and I got back at around 4. So I walked around the adoption area of the humane society (bad idea. I wanted all those poor cats lol) But I seen so many people banging on the doors at 4-5pm. which just made the nurses mad. since it does say do not come earlier. as they are starting to stabalize all the cats that are waking up. They only do so many spays/neuters a day as its pre booked literally months in advance ( I was on the wait list for nearly 6 months, then had a booked appt about a month or 2 before my appointment lol. Its at the humane society. so I fully trusted the vets, as they clearly have to do so many a day.of a simple surgery.

all in all. I liked the service there, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. espeacially at the price (100 bucks for all shots UTD, spay, microchip.)

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I think it would depend on the animal...

Personally with my dogs being so small, I want to make sure bloodwork is done beforehand, that they are monitored the whole time, on IV, etc... when Chloe was coming out of Surgery they called and told me she was on a heating pad to make sure she warmed up quickly, she had a tech with her at all times until she was awake, they used different meds then normal because of her possible liver problem. So for sure I wouldnt want her done anywhere else.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I personally wouldn't use one, only because of two bad spay experiences I've had in the past as well as my Dobermans' sensitivities to certain sutures. Those experiences were with an actual vet clinic, and not a low cost clinic mind you, but it still makes me overly cautious. I'm paranoid now about where I take my dogs for surgeries... even if just routine spays and neuters. That said, I have known people to take their dogs to low cost clinics with great results!
This is how I feel as well.

We've had bad spay experiences with both Rylie and Chloe which were done at normal vet offices... Rylie's bladder was knicked, and Chloe had a botch suture job (still has a pretty big scar from it). So I'm definitely overly cautious now when it comes to vet offices.

Not to mention, I like the extras that come with the price of a spay/neuter at a vet hospital. The blood work/monitoring/fluids/pain meds, etc.

Pam111

I forgot that I had the pug done through a program that gave you a voucher for the spay/neuter if you qualified and then you got to choose from a bunch of vets. It was free and he got all the bloodwork, pain meds, etc. that he would normally get. Also, they would give shots for $10 if you needed it.

Not to mention, I like the extras that come with the price of a spay/neuter at a vet hospital. The blood work/monitoring/fluids/pain meds, etc.
Marley (and all the cats and dogs only about 10-15, if that combined) were monitored the whole time (for about 10 hours), they had a few vet techs stay in the room to look after them. and was given pain med's.
No blood work or fluids that I know of though. I'm sure this would be the same place mafia would be taking her dog. As there really isn't any low cost places around here, very few and far between.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
There's a Cat one around here, where you can take cats in and pay by donation, and I'd have no issues taking my cats there (we're hoping to this summer -- take all of our 'pets' and all of the barn/wild cats we can catch, as well.)... However, I'd be very nervous about spaying a dog with them -- but that is also because I'm very nervous about getting my dog spayed at all... Psyche's going in next week, and I'm a wreck!

Adrienne

We had our female cat spayed at the low cost one here that just recently opened. It was only $50 for the spay/rabies shot. Great deal. I am so pleased that they finally opened one up here. Hopefully it will lower the rate of animals dumped in shelters.

joce

Here is the website for one of our
Lifesavers Spay & Neuter Service

They offer a lot. Rabies shot is free along with the alter. I usually use it for ferals or stray cats so that works for me!

And here is everything they do offer
Amherst, Wed Mar 24th - $70.00 : Lifesavers Spay & Neuter Service, Be a Lifesaver, Spay or Neuter your pet

They do offer the pre surgical blood work. Never done it but it is an option.
They also do shots cheap and offer micro chipping, and some things like heart worm tests.

Including with the alter cost is a pain shot.

So I guess compared to some others we are lucky to have this here:p

SpringerLover

We had our female cat spayed at the low cost one here that just recently opened. It was only $50 for the spay/rabies shot. Great deal. I am so pleased that they finally opened one up here. Hopefully it will lower the rate of animals dumped in shelters.
Where did you find one in MN?!

I have a friend whose kitten went into heat and had kittens before he got her fixed. I've been trying to find options for him that are affordable, and haven't been able to!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Yes Tankstar. It had been where I'd been thinking of. Not sure I'm willing to bother to wait though. 12-16 weeks to return your phone call to book an appointment some months in the future is a turn off. The booking for months ahead because they are busy I do get. The 12-16 weeks to return your call I'm not so okay with.

Cider was 240 to spay some years ago. The going rate for a neuter seems to be 350 or more now with no extras. No antibiotics, no blood screenings. Heck for Cider it wasn't offered either.

It is so booked up though because there are no other options that aren't hundreds minimum.. and It's only been open a year or so.. so I assume they are backlogged with people who didn't fix their animals before. Although they have a cut off age of 5 years old.. so I guess it could be more backlogged than it is..

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Thats our program:

Gaston Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic
Everyone is eligible. Same-day surgery at Gastonia Clinic with local vets. Most dogs $65, Female Cats $65, Male Cats $40. All vaccines $8. Other services available with spay/neuter surgeries. Registration 11AM-2PM daily (except Sunday)

Juicy

All my animals (save one cat and one dog) were done at the HS just like the clinics are (same doctors, probably doing the same amount of animals) they all made it out fine.

BUT you don't get the option of antibiotics or pain meds
Ditto. Got all three done for $60 TOTAL. They were fine the next day, without the meds...and Valentino was neutered young and he's fine. You don't even see the scars, they did a good job.

Adrienne

Where did you find one in MN?!

I have a friend whose kitten went into heat and had kittens before he got her fixed. I've been trying to find options for him that are affordable, and haven't been able to!
I live in Duluth Minnesota. There is one located here on Superior Street. I would be happy to pm you more info if you want. I also know of one up on the Iron Range that does it for 50$ flat fee if your friend is not near the Duluth area.

Members online

No members online now.