EX Smokers, I need help.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sheesh you can not even smoke in public in many places now and I might point out that fewer people smoke now then ever before and yet the cancer deaths are on the rise.
I understand what you're saying, Aussie, but I am going to have to disagree with you... a lot of people are highly sensitive to cigarette smoke, and when people are smoking in public places that they need to be, it's very hard. Most of the people I've politely asked to move downwind have been exceedingly rude AND blown smoke in my face (purposely). I'm highly sensitive to cigarettes, and have trouble breathing after only a minute or two of inhaling it. If I'm around it too long, it can make me ill for days. For me it's a godsend that smoking is banned in many public places.

Blue, I really hope you succeed, and you have a LOT of support here from peopl who love you. Some of the suggestions I've read sound great, and Chantix hopefully will work with you. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
you can do it blue. I been telling you that for a year now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You can do it! I'll give you something to work towards as a rewards hee hee

My dad used Cinnamon Altoids as his substitute and this time around is trying Chantix. His biggest complaint about it is that is cuts his appetite so bad that when he does try to eat, it gives him a stomachache. So maybe eat before taking the pill. But he doesn't have munchy cravings on it.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The physical addiction is the easier bit to crack, it's the actual habit side that is the killer I think.

The cravings generally pass in a week or so, and can be controlled with the patches and stuff, but it's the inground cycle of those times when you normally have a cig, people you normally smoke with etc etc that puts you off the wagon.

You need to look at those times that you associate with smoking.

For me, when I 1st moved back to my parents, I stopped smoking. I have never smoked here, and so I didn't have that habit or routine, and I stopped.. But, started working in a pub full of smokers and slowly but surely got back into the loop.

I know people who have carried pens and things to hold like a cig in those situations! So they have the habit side (holding a cig) covered.

Or people who, whenever they have a craving, just say, I will wait 10 minutes... 10 mins pass, they forget, and say the same next time the idea pops in their head.

The hardest thing is saying NOOOO, but once you manage it a few time, and it is HARD!! it becomes easier.

Depends on the person though... some people can do it right out, wake up one day and say no more.. others need to do it in baby steps.

I want to quit. I'd say I am a social smoker, and we have the ban coming in on July 1st, so unlike most of my fellow smokers, I am not intending on standing out in the rain just to get a drag!! Plus, I'd like to spend my money on more interesting things... We'll see.

Either way - good luck. It's never easy - but it's mind over matter - be strong!!

Thanks for the encoragement everybody.

I guess my mind is made up now. Last ttime I quit I did it cold turkey and lasted 3 months. My new job isnt as stressfull as the last one so tomorow it begins. Who wants to be my buddy?

I'm not a smoker but, here are some of my tips, (some that I have learned in health class, and some common sense, that I actually can think of on top of my head) some might not help. lol

Don't start the habit! lol

You need to want to quit! Very important, which I can see that you do.

Um, thats all. lol, When I find more I will shoot it at ya. ;) But for now, good luck! I hope you stop soon!!

bubbatd

Unfortunately I'm with Zoom's Dad . I started with Chantix and it really cut down on my desire , then it started to upset my stomach ..... you really have to take it with food and I didn't want food . I'm going to go back and try it again though . Don't start kids !!!!!

Unfortunately I'm with Zoom's Dad . I started with Chantix and it really cut down on my desire , then it started to upset my stomach ..... you really have to take it with food and I didn't want food . I'm going to go back and try it again though . Don't start kids !!!!!
Im going cold turkey tomorow Grammy, you wanna try?

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
cold Turkey did not work for me Blue Good luck. I was just down right nasty doing it that way. I want you to succeed for sure. Go Blue.

I made it 3 months when I was younger twice, I forgot going cold turkey going into Boot. I need to stock up on vitimen rich juices.

Good Luck Blue!! I smoked years ago, I quit before I got pregnant the first time...almost 23 years ago now. I had a really hard time quitting even though I saw my dad was dying of emphysema. Watching him having to sleep sitting up clinched it for me. He died over 20 years ago but knew that I had quit before we said goodbye and that meant something to him.

I used the gum...it tasted WAY worse back then than it does now. I had a piece recently and it was actually quite yummy....I had to spit it out because it gave me arrhythmia..hehe.

Anyway, I wouldn't discount the gum or the mints for the simple reason that what may not work for some might just be what it takes to free others from the clutches. Addiction's a bitch, WE'RE ALL HERE FOR YOU BLUE!!!!!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Blue, my brother & his wife have tried everything and anything including fermenting cigarettes in a jar and then having to spell the awful odor when they have a craving. The only thing that actually worked was quitting cold turkey. It's hard, but it was the only way both of them were able to quit. They actually didn't even do it at the same time.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Blue to be honest, I quit smoking a dozen times before I quit for good. Honestly and truly the only thing that worked for me was fear. I had this horrendous cough complete with blood--and made what I could only call a rare trip to the doctor's office. Hearing the potential of what it could be scared the bejesus out of me. It turned out not to be any of those things, but it scared me straight. I had quit smoking completely within a week after that, while my nightmares were still fresh. That was five years ago.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I say let's use this thread to help cheer Blue on. He can write how he feels and how he's doing. And the rest of us can give him encouragement.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
YAY!!! i did it and i smoked half my life, "tried" to quit about a zillion times. Didn't even tell anybody the last time that i was going to do it. Wish i could say it was because i wised up, but it was really because i was so sick i was out of money. Dog food or cigs. Guess which i brought home. If your "trying" you won't make it..if you decide, make up your mind and follow through, you will..just keep telling yourself
1 you are in control of your mind and body
2 you are not a pawn of the cigarette companies
3 The thought of cancer (something i watched first hand and lost my best friend) is scary to you and you don't want it to be you
You will do it!
Physical cravings will be over in three days. After that it is all mind over matter. Then they will begin to smell really bad to you..if you get stressed? use something else, walk or tic tacs or whatever.THere are always excuses for everything. THe cigarette companies count on that. Start to back down? Think about the shunt they put in your chest for chemo when all your veins cant take it anymore. Or the fact is that we all have cancer in our bodies around something like 3 or 4 times a year. Usually our immune systems are quick to gobble up the bad cells and set things to the right. That is until we weaken it so that it can't do that and the cancer cells that multiply geometrically (i think that is the right term, one becomes two, becomes four, becomes 16) get a foot hold. THen it spreads like crazy. I bet if they put a picture of that shunt..or better yet the drawing i don't have anymore of Jim sitting in his office chair, with his business jacket and hat, all bones in an ashtray,so once big and in control,and now so dead, on the packs it would make people do a double take. Aaron said it was the strangest thing i ever drew but he respected it and understood completely. I wish i still had it but it made me cry so i got rid of it. Watch a video on how the cigarette companies made billions off of making people sick. THe only product out there that if used correctly will kill you. You are WAY smarter then that Blue. Go Blue GO Blue GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in the bleachers cheering you on hour by hour.

oh i forgot the good things

smelling wonderful smells again..and food tasting devine..
being able to swim across the swimming pool underwater:D
the fact that you are still young enough that in 7 years you will have pink healthy lungs again..
less colds
i haven't coughed hardly at all since (i had chronic bronchitis)
women that don't like smokers will want to meet you
some of them are worth meeting;)
You will be proud of yourself!
and if you feel yourself weakening..read stuff like this http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/tobaccostatistics/a/CigaretteSmoke.htm
this is pretty good too http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/cravingsandurges/a/halt.htm

if you would have asked Jim or me which of us would have lasted the longest i am sure we both would have answered Jim. He was so big so strong so healthy, so happy with his retirement to look forward to. His rv set and ready for the road, his new harley in the garage. Turqoise chrome and white. He got to ride it i think 3 or 4 times. He was too tired, and then he was too dead. DO it for him. Dont be another statistic. He was a good man and i miss him terribly, he was only 63. HIs doc called him at 9 pm and said Jim you have cancer. I will never ever understand the reasoning behind that. Freaking cigarettes i hate them they take my favorite people away from me and makes them suffer so. Put your money that you would spend on them in a can and buy yourself something you have wanted for a long long time.

Last edited:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
One of the posts reminded me of what helped me most to succeed. Downright physical labor. Particularly outdoors. I dug gardens, I landscaped. I did the hardest work I could to keep me and my adrenalin busy. When you do that kind of stuff, you just can't think about cigarettes. Hours can go by before you stop and think about lighting up. That's hours you went without a smoke. I also went places where I couldn't smoke and made sure i stayed there as long as I could. Like malls (can get very expensive, lol), restaurants, etc. I even took a long train ride instead of driving where I was going. I did anything that would take me away from tobacco for as many hours as possible.

If I can make it the next half hour till I go to work Ill at least make it through the morning. But so far so good.

Members online

No members online now.