Dog Aggression Info

Interesting, but not terribly enlightened. I think someone ought to "dominate" this guy for a while and see how he likes it!

Sorry, I just REALLY resent "experts" that perpetuate unproductive stereotypes about dogs.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
me too that exactly why i posted it to have someone else prove my point :). He's a typical guy I think.

Saje

Island dweller
now now guys don't like to be stereotyped either. :D

Of course, it MAY be true. LOL

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
He says that letting your dog on furniture can lead to your dog dominant and dog aggressive. He seems a little hard on dogs from what I've read from all the articles.

ROFL! Yeah, my girls and Bimmer have SOOOO many aggression and dominance issues. :rolleyes: Right. If laying on the furniture caused those problems mine would be slavering killers by now . . .

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny: "What a marroon!"

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I want my dogs on the furniture..mary's bones are old and the floor is the worst place for her..besides I like sitting beside them..anyway there isn't a mean or aggressive bone in any of my dogs..especially Bronki who was rocked in the rocking chair..that was our most favorite place.. where do these people come up with this stuff...I do believe that playing to roughly with a pup especially in weeks 4-8 can make a dog very aggressive. If they are treated as babies, and loved as children, i don't think a dog would ever be aggressive...unless provoked.

If your social standing in your dog's eyes is so low that letting him on the furniture allows him to usurp your position, you have WAY more to worry about than a snotty dog!

At the risk of sounding like a 'typical guy' :D , some of what was said probably should make for manditory reading - like his bit on small dogs. In another spot he says being too agressive isn't the right answer - which I certainly agree with. On the other hand, sayings like 'make him think he's about to die and the devil himself is on the other end of the leash' doesn't exactly get my vote of approval either. It seems the main philosophy is dominate or be dominated. Kind of like it's you against the dog instead of you being WITH the dog.

Now keep in mind Jake is my first dog since childhood so I'm about the farthest thing from an expert on this board, or likely any other place - virtual or other - that you'll ever come across. With that said, I've done pretty good teaching Jake what behaviours I like and curbing him from behaviors I don't approve of - and never once has he felt like he was about to die or that the devil himself was on the other end of the leash. I haven't crate-trained or clicker-trained or beaten him either. It's been by spending the time with him that he needs and even more time because I want to. He learned to sit, stay, come and lie-down without any strings attached (or a leash for that matter).

On the matter of growling when people come over, Jake will growl at my mother because she's in the habit of walking in without knocking instead of being let in - and quite frankly, I'm not about to change Jake's behavior in that regard - On the contrary, if someone walks in without my wife or me letting them in, I certainly hope he growls or barks to let me know what's happening - and perhaps that makes me a bad person - but (imho) quite frankly it's a matter of re-training my mother - not Jake...afterall, Jake lives here - my mother doesn't.

Just my 0.02

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Renee750il said:
ROFL! Yeah, my girls and Bimmer have SOOOO many aggression and dominance issues. :rolleyes: Right. If laying on the furniture caused those problems mine would be slavering killers by now . . .

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny: "What a marroon!"

LOL! :D

You're great, Andrew!

I don't get why people still think it's necessary to nurture an adversarial relationship with dogs. I worked for a trainer once that did her best to scare, hurt, and otherwise bully dogs into doing what she said. I took them back to their kennels when she was done with them, and sat in there and held them for a long time. I felt SO awful for them! We would sit in the kennel and they would shake while we listened to her torment her next charge (victim). The dogs would actually try to escape the facility rather than go to "class". Even then I knew they weren't learning anything. They did what she told them because they were afraid of her. What kind of relationship is that to have? I want my dogs to do what I ask them to do because they want to do it, not because I bully them into it. And frankly, I think my way is better because instead of trying to escape, my doggy students always run toward me with big smiles when it's training time!

If there are two ways to do something--as there are in dog training--and one way is clearly easier, kinder, and more fun, why doesn't everyone go with it? I just don't get it. I always tell my clients, "Don't pay someone to do to your dog what you would have them arrested for doing to your child." Why, in this "enlightened" age (although we're obviously slipping backward in that regard in my country), are dogs still second-class citizens?

I'll quit preaching now. I just get so frustrated in this business, not with the dogs or the owners, but with the other trainers! I think we ought to put shock collars on them! :mad:

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
CreatureTeacher said:
You're great, Andrew!

I don't get why people still think it's necessary to nurture an adversarial relationship with dogs. I worked for a trainer once that did her best to scare, hurt, and otherwise bully dogs into doing what she said. I took them back to their kennels when she was done with them, and sat in there and held them for a long time. I felt SO awful for them! We would sit in the kennel and they would shake while we listened to her torment her next charge (victim). The dogs would actually try to escape the facility rather than go to "class". Even then I knew they weren't learning anything. They did what she told them because they were afraid of her. What kind of relationship is that to have? I want my dogs to do what I ask them to do because they want to do it, not because I bully them into it. And frankly, I think my way is better because instead of trying to escape, my doggy students always run toward me with big smiles when it's training time!

If there are two ways to do something--as there are in dog training--and one way is clearly easier, kinder, and more fun, why doesn't everyone go with it? I just don't get it. I always tell my clients, "Don't pay someone to do to your dog what you would have them arrested for doing to your child." Why, in this "enlightened" age (although we're obviously slipping backward in that regard in my country), are dogs still second-class citizens?

I'll quit preaching now. I just get so frustrated in this business, not with the dogs or the owners, but with the other trainers! I think we ought to put shock collars on them! :mad:
Very well-said. :)

CreatureTeacher said:
I think we ought to put shock collars on them! :mad:
Not without increasing the voltage first - proportionate to body weight perhaps? :D

I think a lot of people still have the (not so) great idea that things have to be conquored....whether it be a mountain, the highway taken on the way to work in the morning or their pets. When the idea is to 'break' something and then re-mold it into what you want it to be, the individuality of that person or animal is lost - and ironically, a lot of people are drawn to the personality first :rolleyes:

I agree with Andrew, my father doesn't like animals period. He had a fit that my dogs were on the furniture and then this past summer he and my step-mother came over for a cook-out and he was upset that the dogs were outside with us. But what really got him, was that the neighbors came over with their cameras to take pictures of the dogs. My neighbors have pictures of my boys on their refrigerators and even get them Christmas presents. Why do some people not like our dogs? What is wrong with them? I wouldn't trade their fuzzy little warm faces, which wake me up way to early with a big old wet kiss, for anything in the world.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My animals mean the world to me; they are my family. To come in the front door and have them all gather around for me to tell them how good they are and exchange kisses is a wonderful thing.

You're so right, Barb! Although I'll have to admit I'd kind of like to be able to get in the front door without bracing myself and crying, 'BACK, BACK, BACK, DOWN! Let me in the door!" :eek:

Members online

No members online now.