Tattooing your pets?

Barbara!

Recently I've seen a couple things in my newsfeed about tattooed pets. No, not tattoos OF pets, but pets that have been tattooed. It's being seen a lot in bald breed cats and dogs and even some pigs.

What do you guys think of it? What are your thoughts?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm not ok with it at all. I have tattoos on me and that's fine, but I'm just not ok with tattooing animals.

Cricket has a 'tattoo' but its just a little green dash on her belly that they put on her when she was spayed.

We have a APBT that comes to the dog daycare I work at named Styles. His name is tattooed on his penis in scribble scratch type lettering. His current owners said it was there prior to them adopting him.

There's one other dog that comes to my work that is tattoed, but she doesn't come often and I can't remember right off hand what her tattoo is of.

Well I think a lot of the pictures of "tattooed pets" are probably photoshopped, especially the really elaborate ones... people can barely keep their pets from messing with small incisions after surgeries, let alone a large intricate tattoo for a few weeks while it heals without any complications.

But having said that, I am not ok with it at all. Other than identification or to indicate spay/neuter status as skittledoo mentioned (which is common practice at some of the shelters here), I think it's pretty ridiculous. Too much discomfort and aftercare for no substantive reason IMO.

momto8

Not something I'd be okay with. Courtney is tattooed with an ID in her ear, and I had thought about doing it with our future pup since it's permanent ID that is visible..but I can't do it, I wouldn't want to put a pup under for something so unnecessary and I could not imagine doing it while awake.

Assamiea

I have my own tattoos also but I would never tattoo my pets. Rocky has a 4-digit alphanumeric identification tattoo on the underside of his leg but that's as far as it goes.

Now, if one of my dogs ever comes up to me and expresses his want of a tattoo in English, then I'll cross that bride if it comes. Other than that I think I'll leave my pets the way they are.

S

SevenSins

As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.

Danefied

This sort of thing is such a slippery slope...
ID tattoos? Oh yeah... that’s okay, no problem...
Spay indicator tattoos... sure!

Okay... what if instead of a green line to indicate spay we did a cute little squiggly instead? Hey, what if we added some hearts and stars? Where does it stop.
Same with id - I *could* say that tattooing wings on the side of my hairless dog is for ID purposes right? Where’s the line?

Bottom line is, we do a LOT of things to our pets for purely cosmetic/selfish reasons that you could argue are not beneficial and could be detrimental.

SarahHound

No, I don't agree with it at all. ID tattoos are one thing, as they serve a purpose, but I think tattooing designs on an animal is just cruel. They can't tell you what they want and they can't tell someone to stop.

I'd never actually seen that before, the just look awful :(

S

SevenSins

They can't tell you what they want and they can't tell someone to stop.
Technically speaking...neither can pets who are about to be spayed or neutered, even though the majority of us do that out of convenience (because we don't want to deal with intact males or the responsibility and maintenance of heat cycles) and not to prevent an unlikely health issue. By definition, very few elective procedures we do to our pets are necessary.

Note: I'm NOT anti-speuter. ;)

My original thought was hell no....but then I started thinking. Don't we pretty commonly put dogs under for cosmetic or convenience reasons already? I still do not like it but I am not as OMG! as I was when I first saw it

Mine have ID tatoos, but that's as far as I'd go. I think they're silly myself, but wouldn't do anything to stop others from doing it. If they like that stuff, go ahead.

I don't like to use anesthesia for anything that isn't life threatening myself. I can't imagine some of those are possible any other way. But people put dogs under for all sorts of procedures I myself find unnecessary, but who am I?

If they love them, give them food and shelter, I can't really say anything.

Danefied

Technically speaking...neither can pets who are about to be spayed or neutered, even though the majority of us do that out of convenience (because we don't want to deal with intact males or the responsibility and maintenance of heat cycles) and not to prevent an unlikely health issue. By definition, very few elective procedures we do to our pets are necessary.

Oh, Breez is totally spayed for my convenience. I am perfectly capable of keeping her away from intact males, I just don’t want to deal with heats. And I have an irrational fear of pyo.
It was not an easy procedure for her either - I imagine harder on her than getting a tat under general anesthesia...

SarahHound

I know, but all the same, there are *some* benefits to that (not trying to get into a neutering debate by saying that!). Tattooing is just pointless, it doesn't benefit the pet in anyway, not to mention how long it would take to heal compared to a neuter!

yoko

I get for I'd purposes but full out look how awesome this design is? No not really. If you want a unique looking dog there are a ton of crazy mixes to pick from.

As for spay/neuter thing. I know around here if you adopt the dog has to be fixed. So there really isn't a choice if you go the adoption route.

Grab

I'd have an identification tattoo done on my dogs if it were available here...whether that was a number, star, etc . It would be something I'd have done while they were out for another procedure though. I think spays, neuters and the like are far more invasive.

Now, will I be lining up to get Nog a sleeve? No. Is extensive tattooing something I'd want done on my own pets? No. But it's not that horrible to me. (assuming, again, they were under general anesthesia).

Barbara!

As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
These were my thoughts as well. I have no issue with ear cropping, so for me to speak out against this would be hypocritical. As far as I know, the animals are put under while the tattoo is being done. So that would actually mean the tattoo would be less painful and have less aftercare than an ear crop? I don't know the logistics of it, so I'm not sure.

I think it looks kind of cool on the Sphinx cats. Lol.

Members online