Tricks and Training

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Thanks, any sources for jumping IN? I have a client who was asking today actually and I'm not sure, most dogs I know either did it naturally or don't.

I did start training Arnold to jump up and out past me and I would catch him (and proceeded to hurt my back) but I haven't tried with either Mal and would be interested in a proper jump into my arms trick.

Thanks, any sources for jumping IN? I have a client who was asking today actually and I'm not sure, most dogs I know either did it naturally or don't.

I did start training Arnold to jump up and out past me and I would catch him (and proceeded to hurt my back) but I haven't tried with either Mal and would be interested in a proper jump into my arms trick.
I did it by getting Traveler to crawl into my lap while I was sitting, then jump in my lap and then progressed to leaning against a wall sitting and slowly kept standing up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MFvRzqnv4F4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uPAiLMkjCoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And finally I got to this

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oF03tQd1RjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really liked starting with the sitting then wall because it taught me how to catch him and him how to be caught. Also, I know Traveler is a jumper by nature but before I taught this all he would do would do the pogo jump up and down on his hind legs at me.

FG167

I really liked starting with the sitting then wall because it taught me how to catch him and him how to be caught. Also, I know Traveler is a jumper by nature but before I taught this all he would do would do the pogo jump up and down on his hind legs at me.
That's fantastic - how much does he weigh? I think I want to teach that to one or both of the boys...Eden's got no boing LOL

Aleron

I taught Whim and Savvy the same way Linds taught Traveler. Savvy had a natural inclination towards it but Whim did not and both are really good at it now. I always have them jump from the side, not the front and I always treat with the dog facing away from me. My oldest Belgian was a natural at this trick but she always jumped from the front and well, I was injured a few times over the years. She gave me a bloody during conformation class one time. Conformation class is not usually a place you end up bloody!

That's fantastic - how much does he weigh? I think I want to teach that to one or both of the boys...Eden's got no boing LOL
He's 39 lb but he lands like it's nothing at all.

The biggest issue we have is he thinks it's the most awesome amazing thing ever and whenever he gets excited he jumps into my arms, whether or not I'm looking, asking or ready. During agility class everytime I would look at him and say "Good boy" he would be like "REALLY?? DO YOU WANT TO SEE HOW GOOD??" and land in my arms. I get home from work and I typically end up with him jumping into my arms, pushing off, landing and doing it again.

I kinda love it.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy

The biggest issue we have is he thinks it's the most awesome amazing thing ever and whenever he gets excited he jumps into my arms, whether or not I'm looking, asking or ready. During agility class everytime I would look at him and say "Good boy" he would be like "REALLY?? DO YOU WANT TO SEE HOW GOOD??" and land in my arms. I get home from work and I typically end up with him jumping into my arms, pushing off, landing and doing it again.

I kinda love it.
:rofl1:

Yeah... Arnold is 60-65 lbs and the period of me catching him in the air was a few months and then nothing. No more, I'm getting older (**** near in a nursing home) and my back should probably be preserved. LOL

Thanks for the tips, I may try this with the mals, but either way I'll pass it along to the client with boing-y a terrier mix. :)

:rofl1:

Yeah... Arnold is 60-65 lbs and the period of me catching him in the air was a few months and then nothing. No more, I'm getting older (**** near in a nursing home) and my back should probably be preserved. LOL

Thanks for the tips, I may try this with the mals, but either way I'll pass it along to the client with boing-y a terrier mix. :)
During the period that I was teaching it and proofing it I had a sore back more days than not. Luckily, I got stronger and we both got better at executing it. But much bigger than him and it would have been painful! Especially since you said you were catching him more than he was landing on you. Ow.

FG167

I kinda love it.
Bummer, so my catching 62 lb Kastle is probably not happening :( Even Limit will probably be 45 lbs...although I could teach him now - he's "offering" it as it is. He boings off the furniture and launches himself at me even if I'm not facing him!

I kinda love it too :)

Red.Apricot

Elsie's finally getting 'swing' (finish to the left). I don't know why we made that one so hard on ourselves.

I've also started having her heel automatically if I start on the left food and stay if I start on the right, which has reduced her lag considerably when I say, "Let's go!" and march off.

M

MyHorseMyRules

LIES. Speaking as someone who has personally caught the Loon, he can pack a punch when he's not paying attention, small or not. lol

To be fair, though, I don't think he was used to jumping up so very high. Linds is tiny, too. I think he may have been overcompensating because he did land easier after a few tries.

LIES. Speaking as someone who has personally caught the Loon, he can pack a punch when he's not paying attention, small or not. lol

To be fair, though, I don't think he was used to jumping up so very high. Linds is tiny, too. I think he may have been overcompensating because he did land easier after a few tries.
Oh don't be a baby! He does so land like nothing. He was doing it in excess tonight at the concert we were at. If you would stop being so tall there wouldn't be an issue.

Now, go teach Boone to jump into your arms.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
The only bad thing about this thread is that I'm getting too MANY ideas LOL.

So I've started teaching Kimma the handstand. What sorts of things did you guys that have done this use for them to back up on? Kimma only weighs 20lbs, so she's pretty light. Right now she's just targeting a folded up grooming table, and I can angle that up against a wall to a degree, but it's heavy, so I'm not sure how it will work in the long run (I don't want it to like slide down under her one day!).

SaraB

So I've started teaching Kimma the handstand. What sorts of things did you guys that have done this use for them to back up on? Kimma only weighs 20lbs, so she's pretty light. Right now she's just targeting a folded up grooming table, and I can angle that up against a wall to a degree, but it's heavy, so I'm not sure how it will work in the long run (I don't want it to like slide down under her one day!).
I used a couch cushion propped against the couch for Zuma who is only 24lbs.

Taqroy

Mu packs a punch when she "doesn't really want to but FINE if you're going to keep asking for it HERE HAVE IT". And she's only 25 pounds. Lol. I'm not even including the day she almost knocked me out because Matt crosswired my cue and when I patted my knee she jumped into my chin with my shoe in her mouth. :rofl1:

I started out using a board angled against the wall. Once we got the back feet on idea I moved to going backwards up the stairs (Linds has a great video for it). Then I just started out with small sessions of both back feet on the wall and we've been working up for-ev-er.

JacksonsMom

I wanna teach Jackson to jump in my arms like Trav! He's not necessarily a "boingy" type dog tho... so not sure if I'd ever fully be able to stand up and catch him in my arms, with him being so low to the ground to begin with. I've seen him jump pretty high when I stand on the other side of my dads 4foot fence, he almost jumps into my arms, but that's the only time I ever see him jumping like that... Hmmm it would be a challenge.

I think handstand may be on our to do list next. That's one I've been wanting to teach forever.

Taqroy

He's not necessarily a "boingy" type dog tho... so not sure if I'd ever fully be able to stand up and catch him in my arms, with him being so low to the ground to begin with. I've seen him jump pretty high when I stand on the other side of my dads 4foot fence, he almost jumps into my arms, but that's the only time I ever see him jumping like that... Hmmm it would be a challenge.
Mu is 12 inches at the shoulder and she can jump into my arms fine (when she wants to). She doesn't just jump straight up tho - she basically jumps to my thigh and then bounces up so I can catch her.

This is everything that we learned in the tricks class but her jumping into my arms is at the beginning. You can see how she lands more or less in my crotch and then scrabbles up. Lol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pz8ehI588AA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm sad that we are spending so much time with trying to make Frodo *normal* that I don't have as much time for fun stuffs.

I LOVE watching all these videos!!!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I used a couch cushion propped against the couch for Zuma who is only 24lbs.
Ahhhhh good idea!!!!! I will definitely be trying that after the grooming table! Thanks :)

I started out using a board angled against the wall. Once we got the back feet on idea I moved to going backwards up the stairs (Linds has a great video for it). Then I just started out with small sessions of both back feet on the wall and we've been working up for-ev-er.
Yes, she's done going backwards up the stairs, so she gets that (probably why she's picking up on this so quickly - I'm going to start angling the table today for her!). But we can't practice it any more since we don't have stairs here LOL. I took advantage of that before we moved :p

Members online

No members online now.