In the backyard

houndlove

coonhound crazy
What would be the alternative option?

I mean, you can do it. You can put elimination on to a cue and take them on leashes to wherever you want them to do it, give the cue and let them empty themselves and then take them to the yard. But in your ideal world, where would they be going instead, and when?

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Good questions and here are the answers :

1. They go twice / day when I am home. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Sometimes at noon. I take them to a nearby park
2. Their pee burns the grass
3. Their poop leaves smudges in the backyard and attract some weird insects

I was told an adult dog [ older than 1 year ] can hold itself for upto 12 hours. Do you guys think it's unfair and / or asking too much ?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Hi JR! *waves*

I'm sure it can be done, but where would you like them to go instead? Put them on a leash, treat them when they go where you want them to go, you can also start giving them commands and then teaching them to go on those commands which would make it a lot easier.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
So then you would take them on walks instead? They only eliminate those two times a day? :confused: My crew is peeing all the time! lol :p

Erm...

elegy

overdogged
i don't think only being given the opportunity to pee twice a day is great for them. stuff like that can lead to bladder issues. if you don't want pee burns in your yard, take the hose or a bucket of water and rinse off where they go.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Believe me I have tried that ... it doesn't work. The grass still burns.
Well, if I have to choose between some patches of burned grass and my dogs' well-being .... I choose the latter .... definitely

Thanks for all the help

houndlove

coonhound crazy
I also tried the watering thing and it didn't really work. But I just kind of decided that the effort of trying to train them to only eliminate at certain times and in certain places would just be a million times more annoying than just patching the burn spots a couple times a year.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
What about making just one designated spot for elimination? I found training the three b's to go on command pretty simple...

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I was going to add what BP said.. what about a specific yard spot.. even get some low decorative garden fencing so it has boundaries.

Labra

It would be extremely confusing for the dog. If they have been pooping and peeing in the backyard since they were pups and getting praise for doing so, suddenly telling them off when they do pee/poo out there would stress them in a big way.

The alternative would be to create an area for them to poo and pee on. A small fenced in section would be ideal.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Thanks guys for the ideas of a fenced area ... I think this could work.
Labra, Roy never used to poop or even pee in the backyard until I got Tia.
I had Roy since he was 7 weeks old. I got Tia at the age of 11 months.
I have some behavioral issues with her. For starters, she doesn't seem to be able to concentrate. She is sooooooo jumpy and when I first got her she was scared of pretty much anything that moves. A kid, a puppy, a cat and anything you can think of that moves. I will work on the fenced area.

Thanks again to all of you

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider hadn't pooped in the yard in months..Would hold it until someone took her off property, she would pee though. Got new puppy just over a month ago.. He does both in the yard so nwo she does again too..

She seems angry about his potty spots though.. at times sniffs carefully and seems to step around places he's gone and have been cleaned up, even after it rains..

Zoom

Twin 2.0
This might seem a little off-topic, but what are you feeding? I had horrible problems with pee burns until I switched to a better food (was Iams, now Innova) and the burns disappeared.

As to not going in the backyard, they still need a spot to go and they do need out more than twice a day. UTI's are pretty common...I've noticed that most dogs like to go at least twice if not three times a day and pee constantly. They can hold it, but do you like holding your bladder for 12 hours?

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
This might seem a little off-topic, but what are you feeding? I had horrible problems with pee burns until I switched to a better food (was Iams, now Innova) and the burns disappeared.

As to not going in the backyard, they still need a spot to go and they do need out more than twice a day. UTI's are pretty common...I've noticed that most dogs like to go at least twice if not three times a day and pee constantly. They can hold it, but do you like holding your bladder for 12 hours?
I am switching [ every 3 months ] between Eagle Pack and Orijen. I had no idea that food can affect the burning of grass. In any case, I can't use any other food because Roy has EPI and seems to be doing well on those 2 foods.
I'd hate to risk what I faught for for almost 1 year [ diarrhea and weight loss ]

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
He does both in the yard so nwo she does again too..
I think they learn from each other. Good and bad habits.
Like I said, I had Roy for almost 18 months before getting Tia and he never did it in the backyard until Tia arrived. She is tooooo cute and affectionate :)
for me to get upset with her over this.

Members online

No members online now.