Where's The Abuse?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'd LOVE to live in New York. I like the extremes- busy places like New York and London (where I REALLY want to live) and rural, nature-filled places like where I live now.

I'd LOVE to live in New York. I like the extremes- busy places like New York and London (where I REALLY want to live) and rural, nature-filled places like where I live now.
Haha I only like the one extreme... I want to be doing something all the time, I am terrible like that... I get bored way too easy... I love that you can find something to do at 2 in the morning if you want.

I really want to visit London! I also love Vegas... always something to do... although I would need rehab for gambling if I lived there so its probably not a good idea.

S

Squishy22

If a dog can not handle the physical exercise of a hike/walk, etc. then it shouldn't go with... OR... the walk/hike should be tailored so that the dog CAN go and not have to be put in some kind of purse or stroller.

I want my dogs to go with me to places, too. I love be around them. We only go on vacations that they can go to and we don't leave them at home for long periods of time. But, a "no pets" sign means NO PETS, regardless of whether they can fit in a purse or a stroller. I don't want any animal around the food I buy from the grocery store and I don't want some dog yapping away while I enjoy a meal out at a restaurant and I certainly don't want Fido at the movie theater, at the mall, etc., they simply do not belong in those places.

And as for the spiked collar and hypocrisy comment... rude. Since it was following my statement about "froo froo" dogs, I take it was directed at me. My dogs are treated like dogs. They have collars, sure, but they are not studded or spiked, they don't wear harley davidson jackets, bandanas around their heads or tutus around their would-be waist. They are DOGS. We respect them enough to treat them as such.

Disclaimer: If we were to live in a much colder climate Buddy would need to wear a sweater. He gets so cold. But that type of thing would be for his comfort and survival. I can understand things like that, putting on a cooling vest in the summer, putting on a sweater in the winter. The rest of it, no, I don't understand, but as long as the dog is treated well and still has its needs met, then rock on with your bad selves. ;)

Do they make a duffel bag big enough for Bella? :rofl1::rofl1:
WOAH, This thread really took off!

No, it wasn't directed at you. I was actually thinking of people in real life... not net wise. ;)

I agree. NO DOG sign means NO DOGS, period. But, some places DO allow dogs if they are carried. I was talking about those kinds of places. The mall I go to allow dogs who are carried or are in a carrier. Restaurants are a huge no go carrier or not, and when I see a little dog in a carrier or purse at a restaurant it pisses me off. Rules are rules. Laws are laws. People like to get there way around it.

I dont see anything wrong with a spiked collar.. just people who use spiked collars but yet yell abuse or give attitude to people that put a shirt on their little dog. THAT was my point. This goes both ways too.

Hell, I've used both spiked collars and sweaters for my dogs. I DO see something wrong with huge spiked collars that the poor dog can barely move its neck or lay down comfortably. Same thing goes for froo froo shirts used on over heating toy dogs. ABUSE IS ABUSE. BOTH WAYS.

If its not harming the dog physically OR psychologically, then I dont see why people get their panties in a bunch over it. lol. Everyone is different.

lizzybeth727

Just to point out - pet dogs are not allowed in businesses that prepare food, because of the health code. But they are allowed outside, I guess because you could argue birds, squirrels, and bugs are on those tables too. And of course, working dogs (service, guide, hearing, seizure, etc.) are allowed anywhere, including inside restaurants.

S

Squishy22

Just to point out - pet dogs are not allowed in businesses that prepare food, because of the health code. But they are allowed outside, I guess because you could argue birds, squirrels, and bugs are on those tables too. And of course, working dogs (service, guide, hearing, seizure, etc.) are allowed anywhere, including inside restaurants.
Yes. My local walmart has a mcdonalds in it and it irritates me that every time I go there I see dogs in the shopping carts. HELLO!!! Doesn't anyone enforce rules anymore??

I know some other countries are a lot more dog friendly that the US, and they allow all dogs in restaurants and bars.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Lucy & Holly want to know if this is "doggle" abuse! :lol-sign: When Lucy went blind I got her some doggles, so we could just put them on her when we are out hiking or camping in the woods, where she might run into branches etc. I was putting them on to "practice" so she would be use to wearing them, and Holly kept wanting to put them on! They were too big for her... so had to go and buy her own smaller pair. :rolleyes:

Paige

Let it be
Yes. My local walmart has a mcdonalds in it and it irritates me that every time I go there I see dogs in the shopping carts. HELLO!!! Doesn't anyone enforce rules anymore??

I know some other countries are a lot more dog friendly that the US, and they allow all dogs in restaurants and bars.
I'm guilty of bringing rats with me everywhere when I still had them and you bet I went into food places with them. I'd never do that now but I was young, trying to be a rebel and had the wicked cool gross pet to go along with my image. I love rats though. Such sweeties.

I remember being on the bus with my rats and a woman had her small dog on her lap. She turned and said to me "Those are disgusting and shouldn't be aloud in public." My ever so clever come back was "So are you but you don't here me complaining."

If you can bring your dog on public transit when it's poorly behaved I should be able to bring my rat on the bus with me.

BostonBanker

I agree. NO DOG sign means NO DOGS, period. But, some places DO allow dogs if they are carried.
We have a few places like that around here, including one of the big video stores. A girl I rode with in college used to sling her rottie across her shoulders and bring him in....:D

I'm guilty of bringing rats with me everywhere when I still had them and you bet I went into food places with them.
Wow...glad you stopped that habit. I'd complain to the management over any animal in a food place, but a rat would probably keep me from ever going back.

I love taking my dog everywhere with me, but have never felt compelled to bring her grocery shopping or into a restaurant. I don't even love seeing service dogs in those places, although I certainly understand the need.

As for the clothes...to each their own, I guess. My dog will wear coats in the winter when it is cold, and I need to order her a cooling coat for agility trials, but that is it. I can't imagine the appeal of putting clothes on her just for 'dress-up'. She's a dog, and I can appreciate her for what she is.

krisykris

I may be a little biased because I make and sell dog clothing with a specialty on fancy dresses that can be used as harnesses as well.

But my opinion on the subject is that as long as the dog is not suffering in any way from wearing clothing, it isn't an issue.

I certainly think a dog in sunglasses, boots, a tee, pants, a hat all at the same time and all day is a bit much. But the majority of small dog owners I know only put comfortable stretch items on their dogs for everyday wear.

Personally, my two smallest dogs Emma and McKenzie wear a tee in the house all winter and summer long. The reason for this is because I try to keep my heating bill at a reasonable price in the winter, so they can get a slight chill at times, and in the summer the AC is blaring and it does get icy in here, so the protection from that chill is important.

My two slightly bigger dogs, Bentley and Tallulah do better indoors and therefore rarely wear anything (besides for rain and wet weather and winter). Occasionally they will wear a cute tee or tank out just for fun but my lhasa has such a thick coat and really detests clothing so I rarely ever put a thing on her.

When I bought McKenzie I also bought a stroller for her because I was concerned about her keeping up with the other dogs. Now, I don't know what came over me to think I could walk 3 dogs at the same time and push one in a stroller, but let me tell you -- that didn't work out lol.

She is the one that usually lasts the longest on walks and is the smallest dog. She is an energizer bunny!

However, I think a stroller could be *extremely* useful if you live in a city or are going to a busy area. Small dogs often get looked over in crowds and could easily be stepped on and injured or killed. Not to mention it can be a fearful situation for such a small dog in crowded situations.

I know that even in Petco or PetSmart, other customers frequently swerve around aisle corners and don't even *see* my dog sitting beside me. It's for that main reason that I can't even shop while taking the dogs to pet shops because I'm constantly on the lookout for danger.

If they come with me, I typically bring a blanket, lay it out in the cart and essentially turn it into a stroller.

I don't go places I'm not allowed, but I find that a lot of stores have no pet policy specified.

I've gone into Kohl's, Sears, Jo Ann Fabrics, Old Navy, ect all without anyone saying a word about me carrying my small dog in a carrier.

I certainly would have left if I was asked, but there was no sign on the door and no comments made, so I guess I don't really know if it was allowed or not.

I know at a local outlet mall dogs are allowed -- including luxury outlet stores like Off Fifth and Coach. I've never had a problem bringing the dogs there and shopping.

I do baby my dogs, but I also let them be dogs. They get dirty, get tons of walks, tons of romp time in the backyard, they roll in the mud and can just be dogs.

But I'm proud of my dogs and I do like to bring them with me, have them in a cute shirt and matching bow, and carry them close to me so they are safe and secure.

I'm always courteous to other people when we're out, but I do find it very distasteful when people make comments about that "foofoo" dog, because theres a lot more to them than being small and cute and I wish people could look past an image and see a persons true intentions and love for their pets.

Members online