Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

gapeach

Big Mutts
Cali, so now you know! It will be ok. We tried for 2 yrs before I got pregnant with our first child. For along time I ate everything right, hoping to be Prego. Then finally started to give up, drank some alcohol on the weekend, took nyquil for a cold and gave blood. The next week found out I was pregnant! :yikes:

Last edited:

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Everything in moderation. One cup of earl grey will be fine. Just don't over do it. As for the meats, just find a organic one for your lunches. The Internet is full of crap too. If you only ate things that people said you should you would probably starve to death

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
GUYS. I'm failing at this pregnancy thing. I keep finding out I've eaten stuff I'm not allowed to eat. This baby is going to come out a mangled miniature munchkin.

Last night I was at a friend's house and she served fondue. Came home to find out I shouldn't have eaten Camembert. Today I was at training for work and they catered lunch (NEVER HAPPENS as a school teacher!). Enjoyed tasty sandwiches, to find out I should not be eating deli meats. In between training sessions, I was enjoying the free tea they had set out, only to google that I should not be drinking tea (i had 3-4 mugs of it today). How will I survive without earl grey?!

Ugh.

Tell me that it's no big deal that I've eaten all this stuff and the internet is full of scare tactics?
No it's not a big deal. I mean I wouldn't suggest eating a pound of deli meat that was sitting out in the display case all day but a little here and there likely won't hurt and just pop it in a microwave for a moment and voila... You can eat it :)

I drank coffee every morning while I was pregnant. I tried to limit it to one cup a day but I usually try to only have one anyway or I start to vibrate lol but some days I had more than one :)

There are somethings that are NO GO, somethings that just need a little extra prep( like microwaving lunchmeat) and somethings that are just moderation :)

HOnestly, there is a lot of fear mongering that goes along with being pregnant. Drinking heavily, many drugs, smoking, ....yes, all very bad. But most of the others (speaking generally I am sure I am forgetting some big no nos) are all relative. I ate all the cheeses and lunch meats I wanted. I was ok with the slight risk.

CaliTerp07

Yeah, all the naughty things are out until April. I made Zach promise he would stock up on pumpkin beer this fall though and save it until after baby comes in the spring :D

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Omg. I have the worst baby fever. I mean, I go through mini stages every once in a while, but this is bad...

I have sooo much fun babysitting my cousin's five and one year old every other week. They are a freaking blast. Sometimes they cure my fever, other times (like this week) they make it worse.

Josh and I are pretty sure we don't want our own children (health issues, yadda yadda). Especially not before we are 30.. too much do to! Whyyy. I need to stay out of this thread.

GipsyQueen

Omg. I have the worst baby fever. I mean, I go through mini stages every once in a while, but this is bad...

I have sooo much fun babysitting my cousin's five and one year old every other week. They are a freaking blast. Sometimes they cure my fever, other times (like this week) they make it worse.
Same. Though puppies help, because puppies are hard - but not as hard as babies. :p On the other hand Zora never shuts up, so it may be the same level. -.-

Ughhh I am insane for saying this but I think I find this baby easier than a lot of the puppies I fostered in the last year.

But I'm not really a puppy person.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I had a baby and a puppy at the same time. Cadie, my youngest turned 7 in June. Gracie will be 7 in December. Would never do that again!

Taqroy

That's what I figured, but omg the internet is full of crazy scare tactics, and I don't go to the doctor for 2 more weeks.

Thank you :)
The most important thing to do is STEP AWAY FROM DOCTOR GOOGLE. :p

The risks of getting listeria from deli meat are incredibly low. I chose not to worry about it, but I also very rarely eat deli meat. If you want to eat it and not worry just do the microwave thing that Sparks mentioned.

The whole caffeine thing bothers me. I've seen studies that say OMGONECUPISTOOMUCH and studies that say as long as you're not drinking 10+ cups a day you're totally fine. From what I've read and researched (I used PubMed) the main risk in the first trimester and it's not proven that there's a link between caffeine and miscarriage, only a correlation. I drank one-two cups of coffee a day and I'd have a soda in the afternoon every once in awhile.

Honestly, your doctor will tell you the main things to stay away from. If you want to know why, ask them, and make them answer. If they don't have a good answer ask for data to back it up. My doctors never minded answering my question (although they did get a bit flustered when I asked for sources to back things up).

Drinking while breastfeeding isn't much less judged.

I have a beer or a glass of wine whenever. If I want another, I wait until the next feed but studies that I've read say that someone my size would likely be fine with two.

But if people see you with a drink in one hand and a baby on your boob, they give great reactions.

Sparrow

And I just came across this extremely awesome article that pertains to everything we're talking about.

Take Back Your Pregnancy

I especially think the alcohol studies are interesting because WOW people get judgey about drinking during pregnancy.

ETA: Here's another one. Light Drinking in Pregnancy Not Linked to Development Problems in Childhood, Study Suggests
The problem with alcohol is that you can never know exactly what is developing at exactly which moment/day, and unlucky timing can be the difference between something you'd only see on a brain scan if at all, and something that has physical or psychological impacts. As someone who works with many children with FASD, some with mothers who drank very little, or only before they knew they were pregnant, etc... I just don't see how it's worth an unknown risk. There have been opposing studies showing even very light drinking having crippling effects based on timing, so I just wouldn't.

Grab

two year old here as well. Bedtime isn't often too bad, but dear god, naptime. Today he fell asleep in the car. He woke up when we got home, but is pissy he's awake, but too pissy to realize he can just go back to sleep. :rolleyes: The yelling...oh...the yelling.

Members online

No members online now.