Social justice.

Picklepaige

So, if you are apart of any blog site filled with (mostly,) younger folk, you have probably heard of this term. Basically, it is a huge movement to get people who are either white, straight, male, or cis (identifying with the gender you were born with) to "check their privileges* and acknowledge that they are not able to complain and they are all deserving of the hatred they get from the "non-privileged" people.

It's really, REALLY been getting on my nerves lately. I'm on Tumblr, where it's gone CRAZY. It is mostly the trans* folk who are doing it; if you are not transgendered, they will make sure to remind you that you are scum (die cis scum is pretty much their slogan) and unless you dedicate your life to their cause, then you are transphobic and deserve to be called bad things and hated, because you are privileged and are never allowed to complain.

Has anyone else seen this? It's really been bothering me lately :/

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I've never heard of this, but my response is a firm "Meh."

I'm not going to apologize for who I am. You (collective) don't gain dignity and respect by trying to strip others of it. If they want to participate in REAL social justice perhaps they should recognize that there are many folks out there who don't have time to whine on blogs because they are trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from, are desperately trying to raise the money to pay for their child's cancer treatment, or are living in a mental illness hell. Helping those people would do far more to advance social justice than hating on people because they are white or straight.

Picklepaige

I agree, 100%. If they have the money to afford Internet, doesn't that make them privileged as well? Maybe I should start up a "die rich scum" campaign ;)

But seriously, it's just stupid. I am androgynous. I am biologically female but I do not identify with any gender (though I use female pronouns because I hate the neutral ones like zi and whatnot lol) and so I have gotten bitched at because I do not hate "cis" people like I should. It's really ridiculous.

My best friend in the world is transgender - and she is NOT part of any of this bullcrap. She is a very different person altogether but she doesn't really band together with any sort of collective of protest - especially this one.

She supports but is wary of the mass LGBT movements and really just minds her own sh!t when it comes to this topic in particular. There are real assholes out there that are LGBT/Minority just as much as there are CIS/"Normal" ostensibly privileged people that are as well. It's what's in our hearts that matters - not what's in our pants or their pockets.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am fine with the term itself.
It makes sense.. like there is heterosexual, homosexual etc.. instead of referring to heterosexual as "normal" and then gay etc.. That's how the term began really, to make an equal term that covered all genders. instead of "normal" and "abnormal" kind of thing

I am also ok with pointing at that there are privileges that GO with being cisgendered. Because there are lol

..but I guess as somebody who is black lol it's kind of easier for me to see the sense in this kind of thing.. because it is inequality and unfairness.
and I'm also very familiar with the idea of privileged people who DO NOT LIKE to have their privileges pointed out to them lol talking about white privilege, as obvious as it is.. causes a lot of ruckus in itself. People want to pretend it doesn't exist and it does kind of make you want to yell the inequality from the rooftops..

That said, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about talking about these kinds of issues.
Belittling others/their problem, blind hatred, violence, throwing it in people's faces etc.. is obviously the WRONG WAY.

I hate to see how much hate there is in what's supposed to be an open and honest community.
You'd think the human race would figure out that blind hatred doesn't solve anything but hey.. guess not.

I agree. the whole thing has SPUN OUT OF CONTROL.
LaciGreen (a popular youtube sex educator) mentioned the word Tranny in a video like 9 years ago and was ATTACKED. Even though she has done nothing but educate and fight for equality for YEARS. And she was chased off tumblr with threats of violence.

It's a damned mess and it'll continue to be a mess until, inequality or not, people figure out that blind hatred solves NOTHING for their cause.

Things are unfair, and it sucks.. yes.
but isn't the whole point of the cause for equality? Loving everyone? Fairness?

So what's up with the violence?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My annoyance with someone pointing out and getting resentful about "white privilege" is that white people have no more choice in the race that they are born than any other race. I try to go through life treating everyone with respect and I don't think I should be expected to feel guilty that I am white, straight, and identify as a female. I am what I am. If someone who is black and homosexual should feel good about how they were born then why should I feel guilty?

I'm for people loving both each other and themselves, regardless of how they were born.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My annoyance with someone pointing out and getting resentful about "white privilege" is that white people have no more choice in the race that they are born than any other race. I try to go through life treating everyone with respect and I don't think I should be expected to feel guilty that I am white, straight, and identify as a female. I am what I am. If someone who is black and homosexual should feel good about how they were born then why should I feel guilty?

I'm for people loving both each other and themselves, regardless of how they were born.
This is what I meant about the wrong way.. pointing out something or the discussion about the inequalities of it is not supposed to make people feel guilty or be fueled by anger. It just is what it is. We try to change things for the better, point out inequalities, fix them, work together, treat each other with respect.. but in NO WAY do I think certain privilege (ones that are born into or not even) should be a reason to hate someone or want them to be ashamed or guilty. I am aware of inequalities based on race, gender, sexual orientation.. I do what I can (as you said, treating people with respect etc..) to rectify them. but I am not ASHAMED or guilty because of who I am.. I just am more aware of things I should be thankful for that I take for granted.

The whole problem with all these problems is that people don't treat each other with respect. Once you get passed privilege, names, labels, laws and all that other crap.. the ROOT of the issue is that people aren't kind to one another. golden rule and all.
If you forget about and don't care about the whole complex labeling and politics behind it all.. the solution is quite simple. Treat others as you would like to be treated, they will treat others as they would like to be treated.. people will care about each other..things will be fair. Boom. Equality.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
and I read my post again and let me clarify..totally not trying to sound like a martyr for all inequalities lol
I have an INCREDIBLE amount of privilege. I think the important thing is that I KNOW that..and recognize that other people aren't as lucky and do what I can to try to make the world more fair and equal for things I believe should be a RIGHT to all people.. not just people like me.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Years ago I had my very first introduction to this kind of mentality. Two transgendered people who really, truly did HATE me because I was born a girl and was happy that way. "Die cis scum" sounds about right. It didn't exactly bother me - it's a stupid reason to hate somebody so it's nothing for me to be concerned about - but I have a very good and very long memory and I certainly haven't forgotten. It DID bother me that I had friends who were also friends with them and they never really cared about the cruel way these people talked to me and treated me. Apparently if you were born male and were happy being born male, that was okay. Being born female and happy being born female was not okay. Only one of my friends ever stuck up for me and he ended up on their "hate list" too.

Hate is hate is hate. It's hypocritical to say it's okay for a black person to hate a white person. It's hypocritical to say it's okay for gay people to like straight people. Inequalities exist all over the place for a million different reasons and not all of them are what people even traditionally think of... everyone enjoys different privileges and opportunities for various different reasons whether they think of it that way or not. I think it's a lot about perspective. People are very negative and rather than looking at what we've gotten we focus more on what other people are getting and what we don't have. Nobody wants to be happy and grateful with what they have and who they are, and God forbid, if you are, people will hate you for it.

I think it just all comes back to hate being wrong no matter what the reason. =P

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I honestly didn't even know the term "cis" existed until this thread- I feel very out of touch-lol. Is it an acronym? Why the term "cis?"

It seems to me that there are a LOT of people out there who identify with the gender they were born-that's a LOT of people to hate. Who has that kind of time and energy?

I think it important for privileged groups to really understand and acknowledge that they actually have privileges. Because it's so much easier to be empathetic and so much harder to make assumptions when you realize that someone isn't starting off at the same starting line in life that you are. Not even just obviously visible things like race, but things like people who didn't learn good life skills from their parents.

Having said that, I don't like backlashes and I don't think warping that awareness to guilt accomplishes anything but making people dig in and close their ears. If you don't want me to give a f*ck that you are black/ trans/ gay/ whatever, then you shouldn't give a f*ck that I am white/ cis/ straight/ whatever.

Xandra

cis is a latin prefix for "same side"

I agree with the general sentiment here... I get that they're far more likely to be mistreated than I am but the anger should be directed towards the people doing the mistreating. I've never heard of this "die cis scum" but anyone who wishes death upon me, people I care about or most of the population can go jump off a bridge.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It seems to me that there are a LOT of people out there who identify with the gender they were born-that's a LOT of people to hate. Who has that kind of time and energy?
lol it really does seem exhausting.
I was too lazy to even do laundry today...

BostonBanker

Not even just obviously visible things like race, but things like people who didn't learn good life skills from their parents.
Exactly. The "privileged" person they are trying to tear down may well be suffering from issues you can't see, that trump anything you are going through. One can never judge what someone else's life is like.

I'd like to say I'm perfect and don't judge anyone, but of course I'm not. What I do know is that I have a far easier time not judging those who aren't busy throwing their issues in my face. If you don't want me to make a big deal over who and what you are, don't make a big deal of it yourself.

"Die cis scum" is every bit as horrific to me as "Die trans scum" or "Die gay scum" or "Die black scum". And vise versa.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I honestly didn't even know the term "cis" existed until this thread- I feel very out of touch-lol. Is it an acronym? Why the term "cis?"

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. I was so confused by what I was reading XD :lol-sign:

I agree with the general consensus here... I think.

ACooper

Wow. Chazhound.com/forums .........way, waaaaay more than dog eductational services :rofl1:

Hate is hate and it all stinks.

crazedACD

Having said that, I don't like backlashes and I don't think warping that awareness to guilt accomplishes anything but making people dig in and close their ears. If you don't want me to give a f*ck that you are black/ trans/ gay/ whatever, then you shouldn't give a f*ck that I am white/ cis/ straight/ whatever.
Here here.

If I spent my time protesting and backing causes for everything I felt for or against..I wouldn't have a life. I'll support your rights and I'll vote for total equality and probably stand up for you against someone else, but I just don't have time to crusade for everyone's cause. My primary focus and interest in this world is animals, and that is what I spend the most time on.

I can't help but view it as a sort of temper tantrum and tantrums don't deserve attention.

Assjerks are assjerks, no matter what their sexual/gender orientation, race, religion, minority or majority, whatever, and they make it harder on those of the same persuasion who are good, decent human beings.

Members online