Help with a nervous rat terrier

Ailish

I've had Anya about 5 months. She's a little over 1 and half years old and came housebroken from a shelter that had no history about her. I've been crating her and she does really well. But in the last month, even though we have the same schedule, she's started eliminating by the door if I don't crate her while I'm gone. And anytime she's done something bad, as soon as she sees me see it, she pees and shakes like a leaf. If I even raise my voice a little (even in greeting when I get home) she shakes and hides. She's always been a little skittish, but for some reason it's much worse lately. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Doberluv

She was probably mistreated and scolded harshly by her previous owners. When dogs are in an extreme submissive state, they'll often pee (submissive urination) to acknowledge that they are the weak ones and you are the leader. It's very sad when you see this fear, isn't it. Don't coddle her, as much as you may be tempted because this teaches "learned helplessness." Don't make an issue of her when she gets like this. And you'll have to handle her with purely positive reinforcement methods...no scolding. Look up online for some confidence building games for dogs.

When you say she's done something bad, what do you mean? If she's hiding, shaking in fear, she is afraid of your reaction, if you've been harsh when she is "bad" or she's been conditioned to be this way by her previous owners. I don't know how you react to her. Can you describe what she does which you see as "bad" and how you react? There are ways to get around this and teach her how you want her to behave using very gentle methods which should help her confidence and fear problem.

Ailish

She does little things like knocking over the garbage or being on the table. She did this more often when she first came home and the people at the shelter said to use a noisemaker and she stopped for the most part. If I catch her peeing inside, I say no very firmly and carry her outside. I try not to scold her because of the peeing. Tonight when I came home she had made a mess by the door, and when she saw me she hid behind the couch and wouldn't come out. She really hasn't been too much trouble until lately. The only thing I can think of that's different is I had a friend stay here for a week or so and she wasn't crated nearly as much. Not long after I noticed the change in behavior. You're right. It is sad to see that fear, and I'm hoping I can find a way to make her feel less afraid and save my carpets:)

Doberluv

Just think of it this way: (not that I want to sound harsh toward you) but, if she gets into the garbage, that is not her fault. She hasn't been taught. If dogs are taught things and taught in a way which makes it worth their while, they tend not to engage in those behaviors. For instance, getting into the garbage has the promise of a payoff, right? She's probably been successful before. Dogs do what works. It's how they survive in the wild....doing what works. So, you have to make in impossible for her to succeed at getting that payoff....getting into the garbage. She must never ever have a success. Then she'll not get into that habit.

Take her off the table, gently, calmly, saying "off" and when she is down on the floor on all fours, praise her. Prevent her from getting on the table. If she looks like she's about to get on, or thinking about it, re-direct her to another place and praise for that. Be super consistant. If she gets the payoff for getting on the table (it must be fun for her) then that reinforces that behavior. Always prevent a payoff for any unwanted behavior and give a payoff for wanted behavior. Again, be patient and don't scold. She can learn this way.

When she is doing something that you don't like, instead of scolding, go to her and re-direct her...get her attention and show her an alternative behavior which she can do instead. Scaring her with noisemakers, startling her, being loud, making quick movements are all things which this dog, really, no dog should be subjected to. It doesn't teach. It only creates fear and distrust of her owner. So, in other words, show her what you want her to do instead of the undesireable behavior. Give her an alternative. And praise her for that. This will cause the undesireable behavior to extinguish all by itself. You don't have to scold.

With potty mistakes, again....that is not her fault. She doesn't know yet well enough. She must be confused. Take her out more often. Watch her when she's lose in the house so she doesn't have an opportunity to go pee inside. Praise her right the second she's done peeing outside. Even if you catch her in the act, don't say, "no." She's one timid dog. Just pick her up right away and scoot her outside, then praise if she goes outside. Give a command while she's going so she learns to go on command (if she has to go at all). If she's nervous, keep your praise low key. If she likes a squeeky voice, playfulness, then do it that way. (remember that when you tell a dog "no" or scold when it pees or poos in the house, the dog may interpret this to mean that peeing and pooping is bad period...not that it's bad to go inside) This can make a dog hold it and hold it and not even want to go outside. Finally it can't hold it and it hides behind furniture to go. It causes fear in the dog. So, don't make a big deal out of it if you make a mistake and not take her out often enough. Just clean it up and forget it.

To be a good leader, be calm and confident, fair, gentle, no scolding, motivate and reward her for behavior you like, distract and give alternatives for behavior you don't like. Teach her some little basic obedience skills (that builds confidence and makes her look up to you). Make training fun and rewarding. Dogs usually love walks. Take her where she is comfortable and not afraid.

I don't mean to sound bossy, but that's my writing style. LOL. I'm just writing things as I think of them and trying to give you some tips. I hope it helps a little. You have a timid dog who is a special needs dog and it takes oodles of patience. Kudos to you for taking her on and giving her such a nice home and caring for her. I hope things will improve for you.:)

Ailish

Thanks for all the advice. I think the redirection is something I can work on more. The problem is the behavior when I'm gone. I can see her before I open the door so she gets caught a lot. The other day when she was on the table I didn't scold her, but she started to go anyway. Of course, she sometimes goes when she gets really excited as well. A friend suggested taking her to the vet to rule out an infection. And she does know some basic commands, along with a few unique ones. (My girl can "dance" with the best of them.) I know I'm pretty lucky. She really isn't a chewer and she's super sweet. I could just crate her everytime I leave, but I hate to do it.

Members online

No members online now.