Tumors and older dogs

ChrissyR

I asked this on another site, but I'm wondering how common tumors are on older dogs, about 10 years or more?

Thanks,
Chrissy

chinablu

Jackson's My Name
my mt. cur is only five and he has a golf ball size tumor on his side, the vet claims it is a fatty tumor that hounds can get due to their oily hair. but i am convinced this must soon come off due to the fact that it is growing. but thank God it is not cancerous.

Maxy24

My dog had lumps and bumps all over him at age 10. He had one on his face that the vet said was nothing (but it grew that's for sure). He also had them on all his legs, on his face an one on the bottom of his foot. First the vet saw one and was worried but once she realized how many he had she said some dogs are just prone to getting bumps.

bubbatd

My oldsters aways had a few .......... now want to count my warts as I age !!! ???

elegy

overdogged
depends on the breed, depends on the individual dog.

my poodle was almost 17 when i had to put her to sleep. she had a couple of ugly warts, but no tumors at all.

harv is ten or eleven, and he's got nothing.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I agree, I have two eleven year olds of the same breed and one has had several fatty tumors and the other none.

Sanas_K

I've been told that if you live long enough, cancer's gonna be the death of ya...I'd say that applies to dogs as well. My Dalmatian got put down around the age of 15 because of a cancerous tumor in her uterus and leg...they went in and tried to do surgery but she was too old to recover from it, and a few days later she was worse off than with the tumor and we had to put her down. ;_;

ChrissyR

I thank you all for the reponses. I'm just worried about the old boy and now knowing it's pretty common lesses the worry. He is schduled to get vet checked on the 11th for a tumor on his back and one above his anus. I have a 12 year old dog and he doesn't have any so I got worried when I found them on Bear. (He's a Chow-Chow. My 12 year old is a mixed breed.)

Thank you again!
Chrissy

Two of my labs Bear and Blue are 11+ now, and when they were between 9 and 10 both had little tumors.The vet didn't seem too consirned and now their is no sign of them.Seems to be more common in some breeds than others,and most end up being binine(sp?)

Yes they can

We had a Bouvier de Flanders,she was about 10 yrs old when got skin cancer,all benign -about 7 of them.She began losing weight,vet put her on special food & took alot of tests-refused to admit she could have cancer. Less than a year later we had to put her down for cancer.

I should clarify this to state: when asked the vet if internal cancer possible he stated if they have tumors on outside they can't possibly have them inside.

Live & learn,got a new vet of course.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Happy is ten and developed two fatty tumors this year... it was really scary to find them, but they are apparently very common and normal for "senior" dogs - and I guess anything over seven is senior! Yikes!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
mary is my lumpy bumpy old wonderful woman. I did have her fatty tumor checked out in the beginning, but as long as they are pliable and move that is a good indication that they are not harmful. If they are firm and feel like the end of your nose you best have a vet check

Members online

No members online now.