isit really ok to use regular shampoo?

poeluvr

i know you guys have said in before forums that you can use regular shampoo on your dog, but isnt that what they test animals on, and they get like rashes, and sick and stuff...and if that only happens till their is no affects on the animals so they can sell the shampoo, it wouldnt be a good idea to get shampoo that hasnt been tested on animals right. i use that type of shampoo myself (no animal testing)but i just dont know?

oriondw

user not active
I would suggest not to use human shampoo on dogs. Different PH balances.

There are plenty of dog specific shampoo's that you can use.

I dont really know though, I've only washed my dog once in 2 years (with shampoo).

poeluvr

yea ill use dog shampoo i wasa just curious cuz i heard some 1 on this forum say it was ok, and i dont have any dog shampoo and i wanted to give him a bath but ill wait.

showpug

LEA....some people say it is OK to use human shampoo on your dog. I DISAGREE! As it was said above, it is a fact that dogs have a different PH level to their skin. Using a human shampoo will probably not do harm, but I would not use it. There are so many FUN and good smelling choices out there for dogs...go pick one and have fun with it. Just DONT get one that is for fleas...they are too strongly medicated for my liking. :)

GSDFan05

I work for a vet and when we give baths we just use dish soap (unless it's a medicated bath, of course), it does a good job of getting rid of mud, oils, etc, although if you use it too often it will strip too much oil from the skin and dry the coat out, but it's fine to use a couple of times a month or so.

candy722

I know alot of people use baby shampoo. I keep telling them not to use baby shampoo. My boyfriend bathe Toki with baby shampoo one time because he ran out of dog shampoo and now I know why people bathe them with baby shampoo. It really makes their coat really soft. But im still against human shampoo for dogs.

showpug

Interesting....I have never heard of dish soap. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years and we never recommended anything other than shampoo intended for dogs, but there were some REALLY smelly dirty dogs that came in and I can see dish soap working in those situations. What do you tell the clients if they ask what type of soap you used? Do you say "dish soap" :confused:

Athe

I know of many people who show Collies, Newf's etc who use Pantene shampoo for humans and other human shampoo's. They look great and I have never seen any secondary problems on these show dogs from using certain human shampoo brands.
My sister owns a grooming shop and she uses only good quality dog shampoo, it's cheaper in the long run as its so concentrated.
She also uses dish soap using Palmolive, glycerin and vinegar. For some dogs with major sensitivities to most shampoo's including oatmeal's they can only be shampooed with the dish soap. Just follow up with a good conditioner as you want to replace the lost oils. ;)

GSDFan05

showpug said:
Interesting....I have never heard of dish soap. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years and we never recommended anything other than shampoo intended for dogs, but there were some REALLY smelly dirty dogs that came in and I can see dish soap working in those situations. What do you tell the clients if they ask what type of soap you used? Do you say "dish soap" :confused:
Actually, yes, lol the vet will tell people upfront that's what we use and will recommend it EXCEPT: 1) For dogs with skin problems that need medicated baths like Lytar, Malaseb, etc, 2) For people who bath frequently and need the special shampoo that won't strip off their Advantage, 3) For some people with white dogs who like them nice and snowy, Pearlyte is best for that.

But yes, for a just plain dirty dog my bosses always use dish soap. It's the only vet I've ever worked for so I don't know how other clinics do it, it surprised me when I started there, but it seems to work well.

mrose_s

BusterLove
we dont use human shampoo, we use woolwash, the washing thing for ure woolen clothes. But it is ok. My auntie was a profesional dog groomer and she bever said it was bad and none of our dogs have ever had problems so yeah

moe

I show my dogs and on the odd occassion I have run out of dog shampoo, I have used pantene or a mild, human shampoo, I have also used washing up liquid for dishes. non of these have never effected their coats in a detrimental way, although I would not use it on a regular basis.

MO

GSDFan05

moe said:
I have also used washing up liquid for dishes. non of these have never effected their coats in a detrimental way, although I would not use it on a regular basis.

MO
I agree, we use it at the clinic but I would definitely advise against using it for frequent baths, it seems like it would strip too much oil out of their coats.

I really like Buddy Wash. My Aunt gave us some a few years ago, it makes the girls smell really good, so I couldn't help buying some on Thursday when my Mom and I were at the grocery store.

Y

yuckaduck

I don't know but if they didn't require there own shampoo it would not be so popular so I do the dog shampoo, right now I use tearless puppy shampoo and I dilute with water, 50/50.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I haven't tried anything but doggie shampoo on Sawyer (usually Plum Silky) but I have used Suave on my rats a few times and it turned out pretty good.

Members online

No members online now.