Girly Stuff

And not about PMS!

Lately I've been feeling girly and with my hair growing out, keeping it back more I've been experimenting with different braids, makeup, skin care routines and things so I thought it might be fun to have a thread with different people's tricks, favorites, tips, blogs, suggestions and things like that.

So, make this thread me not talking to myself! Share!

For the past month I've taken up washing my face with oil at night (castor oil and avocado and/or extra virgin olive oil) and using coconut oil as a lotion in the morning and at night and oh my god has it made my skin so much nicer.

I have naturally very oily skin that likes to break out often and since starting this it's just so less oily, no breakouts, any black heads are pretty much gone and my face just feels nice and stays that way all day. It was a noticeable difference that even my sister who believes nothing I say is going to try it for her oily skin.

As far as hair goes I bought a dozen of these a few weeks ago and remembered why I loved them so in gradeschool

And I recently did this simple braid on my hair and really liked it.

http://pinterest.com/pin/54887689181116074/

What I'm looking for now though is a good mascara that isn't terrible for your eyelashes.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Huh, that braid is really interesting! I wear my hair up in a ponytail all of the time at work, so that would be a neat way to do it. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but is the bottom half essentially a french braid?

I will be eagerly watching this thread for hair tips...ever since now, I have worn my hair two ways: up, or down. LOL I either throw it up in a ponytail, do a half up/half down dealio, or just flat iron it and leave it down.

I've now added French braids to my list, but I am just HORRIBLE with styling my hair. Absolutely horrible. I can't even make a proper sloppy bun.

So...I want to see tons of hair styling tips, people! :D

Kootenay

For the past month I've taken up washing my face with oil at night (castor oil and avocado and/or extra virgin olive oil) and using coconut oil as a lotion in the morning and at night and oh my god has it made my skin so much nicer.
Ok maybe this is a dumb question...but...how do you wash your face with oil?

And, I LOVE coconut oil for everything! It even works as sunscreen! I used it all last summer and it was amazing. It just has to have time to properly absorb. Not a super high SPF but it definitely stopped me from burning, even the first few times out in the sun. I eventually started not letting it absorb and using it more as a tanning oil (BAD)...

And I use it in my super-dry hair. Not to mention cook with it. Best stuff ever!

milos_mommy

Kootenay, google "oil cleansing method". It works REALLY well.

I used to use it, and my skin looked great, but I don't generally have many skin issues so I pretty much just wash it with water and use bar soap if it get really dirty for some reason. I've never used any other products and never had breakouts.

I just started using African Black Soap on my hair (and everywhere else) and OH MY GOD so soft and shiny and glorious. The only issue is it doesn't seem to be staying in elastics as well because it's SOooooo soft, but I think if I get the grippy kind it will be better.

I do a few different things with hair, but mainly, it's either up in a bun or down. It gets tangled super easily, so it's been up all winter. Bangs make it look a little more "finished" or formal even when it's just thrown back. But I also do french braids, fishtail braids, rope braids, braid pieces before pulling it back, etc. all of which I find on pinterest.

Those sock bun waves or curling it around a soft fabric headband or bantu curls work really well, too.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I feel like I'm so boring with my hair. I play sports a good part of the day, so I never do anything fancy. I almost never wear it down, it's so and long & I don't want to bother straightening it. It's always either in a ponytail/braided, or like this:

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/laarnaay/hairlaloo/sectioned-pony.jpg

But hair elastics in the ponytail too.

So, if anyone has any cute hairstyles that are functional, let me know, lol.
I'm also considering chopping it all off or getting bangs, I'm just getting bored of it.
At one point it was down to my waist (last year!), and that was like an elderly lady magnet, they'd grab my hair from behind and yank and be like 'sooo beautiful', I'd be like 'ok but you just scared the hell out of me!!'.

Huh, that braid is really interesting! I wear my hair up in a ponytail all of the time at work, so that would be a neat way to do it. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but is the bottom half essentially a french braid?

I will be eagerly watching this thread for hair tips...ever since now, I have worn my hair two ways: up, or down. LOL I either throw it up in a ponytail, do a half up/half down dealio, or just flat iron it and leave it down.

I've now added French braids to my list, but I am just HORRIBLE with styling my hair. Absolutely horrible. I can't even make a proper sloppy bun.

So...I want to see tons of hair styling tips, people! :D
Yes it's french braided! I did it on my sister too yesterday and it worked really well. It's especially nice since I'm growing my hair out and it's just in the last month or so long enough to really have in a pony tail but it still has fly aways at the bottom. So this keeps them all in.

I do a lot of things with french braids like braiding the front of my hair in a french braid to get all the bangs in or doing a twist.

I also like headbands or bandanas to add some fun.

Ok maybe this is a dumb question...but...how do you wash your face with oil?

And, I LOVE coconut oil for everything! It even works as sunscreen! I used it all last summer and it was amazing. It just has to have time to properly absorb. Not a super high SPF but it definitely stopped me from burning, even the first few times out in the sun. I eventually started not letting it absorb and using it more as a tanning oil (BAD)...

And I use it in my super-dry hair. Not to mention cook with it. Best stuff ever!
http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

And it works soooo well! I'm seriously smitten.

I normally wouldn't go out of the house unless it was exercise without at least foundation on and now I don't feel like I need it. My complexion is so much better, all black heads gone and color is evening out nicely.

And I'm also falling in love with coconut oil. I didn't even like the smell at first and now it's growing on me.

When you cook with it though does it still taste like coconut? I don't like coconut and that's what has stopped me from cooking with it.

I have the same hair problem! lol

Here's a link of a ton of hair things to try. I've tried some of them
http://beauty-tutorial.blogspot.ca/search/label/Hair tutorials
Ooooh cool! Looking through that now!

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Aha! A place for me to ask this question... Anyone know any home remedies for dry skin when shaving? My skin is crazy sensitive and I get razor burn really bad, even when using the "for sensitive skin" shaving cream. Was wondering if someone knows a fairly inexpensive alternative that might actually work?

Aha! A place for me to ask this question... Anyone know any home remedies for dry skin when shaving? My skin is crazy sensitive and I get razor burn really bad, even when using the "for sensitive skin" shaving cream. Was wondering if someone knows a fairly inexpensive alternative that might actually work?
Coconut oil!

Kootenay

Love the look of the oil cleansing! Will definitely have to get some castor oil and start doing that.

As for hair, I am really boring too - my go-to is a french braid that goes kind of diagonally from one side to the other, so it comes down just on one side of my head. Sometimes I mix it up and do a french fishtail braid. I like these because they stay in pretty well during daily activities.

I'd love to be more creative but I find too many hairstyles don't stay in well enough. I hate it when my hair is always falling down!

some coconut oils don't leave any taste, but those have usually been lower quality ones IMO. We only use extra virgin organic and it does have slight coconut taste when cooking, but not much. I used to hate, and I do mean hate coconut taste. I can say my tastes have changed. I put a big glob in my shake everyday

Toller_08

I had no idea you could control oily skin with oils. Best advice ever! Thanks for sharing. I finally found a facial cleanser that seems to keep my skin under better control than in the past, but still not always that great, so I am excited to try this and see what happens! I hate having oily skin.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yes, now I am totally intrigued by this oil thing. Considering my skin does not react well to anything that isn't mild, I'll give this a whirl. I really wish I weren't allergic to coconut, it's so useful lol.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Slightly obsessed with skin care and makeup!

I love OCM. I'm currently using argon oil and jojoba oil. So good!

I also use a AHA exfoliator once or twice a week and also my clarisonic which I LOVE!

Where do you buy it?
I bought it at fruitful yield but I know a lot of people get it at Trader Joes

Slightly obsessed with skin care and makeup!

I love OCM. I'm currently using argon oil and jojoba oil. So good!

I also use a AHA exfoliator once or twice a week and also my clarisonic which I LOVE!
I've heard good things about jojoba but the price tag makes me step back. I really am digging the avocado oil too but I need to order some more cold pressed because the local store only has refined.

I've looked at the clarisonic, so you really like it? Worth the money?

Castor oil is super drying on its own so be careful.
I figured she meant she had other oil but not castor oil! But yeah, my face started drying out so I had to lesson the castor oil I was using.

ETA: Everyone that tries the OCM keep this thread updated because I'm curious to see how it works for everyone else long term!

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I bought it at fruitful yield but I know a lot of people get it at Trader Joes

I've heard good things about jojoba but the price tag makes me step back. I really am digging the avocado oil too but I need to order some more cold pressed because the local store only has refined.

I've looked at the clarisonic, so you really like it? Worth the money?

I figured she meant she had other oil but not castor oil! But yeah, my face started drying out so I had to lesson the castor oil I was using.

ETA: Everyone that tries the OCM keep this thread updated because I'm curious to see how it works for everyone else long term!
Yes I think the clarisonic was worth the money! My skin just felt really clean after I started using it and a week or so in it looked dewy and healthy again.

Members online

No members online now.