Pippa growling when picked up

SallyandPippa

First time BT owner
Hey all,

When Pippa is picked up she usually gives a little growl, anyone know why this is? She never does it when I pick her up to put her into bed with me and she has never done it to a couple of my friends, I am starting to worry that its me! Could it be that she thinks I am playing as she growls a lot during play? Any ideas would be gratefully received!

femke

is it like a real growl or could it be something else? I know Penny gives a little noise in the back of her throath when i pick her up it's a loving thing lol. more or less an " I love you" lol it's not consistent tho, sometimes she'll do it, other times she won't. I would keep an eye on it. And watch her behaviour more closely, does she seem pissed off when she does it? I dont have a lot of experience so that's about all i can say.
By the way how did it go with having to leave her at home while you go to work, gotten used to it yet? Take care!

keyodie

Keyozilla
Well I know Charlie doesn't like to be picked up, but I guess that's not your case. Watch him closely the next time you pick him up.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i was thinking the same thing as Renee..exactly where are you hands when you pick her up..can you do a gentle palpation and see if there is any soreness where you are placing your hands? Every dog is different..when i rub Mary or Vic's ears they like you to rub with quite a bit of pressure..if i tried to rub Shaffers' ears like that he would yike with pain. He is a tender boy. You might try scooping up your dog..i didnt see the size but from the name i might guess small..or place on a pillow and pick up the whole package that way..experiment a bit and see if there is a difference.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My dog grunts/growls all the time when I pick him up. With Ripley, it is an expression of frustration rather than aggression. (He grunts at me when I pick him up - because he knows me - but he won't hesitate to bite a rude stranger that picks him up without an introduction)

He's the only dog I've known that does that, and I've grown to think of it as a "Oh, mom, for crying out loud, let me walk on my own!"

Often times, though, when he WANTS me to pick him up (To get into the car, to get a better view of things [he's only about 8" tall LOL] to get away from something scary on the ground, etc.) he makes no noise at all. It's just a control thing, with him. He wants what he wants, and will accept nothing else without complaints.

Also, how do you pick the dog up? I have friends who pick their Chihuahuas up from underneath their armpits. Their dogs don't care, but it REALLY hurts Ripley when they do that to him. (It leaves him with bruises, in fact.) Sometimes the way you pick them up makes all the difference.

Members online

No members online now.