How do you know if your dog has been vaccinated for Parvo?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah has been a little sick lately (potty problems) and Maverick is having slight problems as well. Not as bad as Hannah but you can tell his stool is a little soft as well. He was given shots at both the shelters he was at but I don't know how to tell if he was vaccinated for parvo specifically. Are all puppies given parvo shots, or do they have to be specifically asked for and administered. On his adoption contract it says he was given DA2LPT(it's either a T or a +)PV (when he was adopted was his 2nd dose) and also Drontal plus (also his second dose). He was also given Advantage as well. Do any of those shots sound familiar to anyone? Do they protect against Parvo? I'm all paranoid now that they might have parvo. Hannah has had all of her puppy shots and her rabies shot as well.

Athe

Parvo is a core vaccine, this is always given to puppies, the combination vaccine, often called a 5-way vaccine, usually includes adenovirus cough and hepatitis, distemper, parainfluenza, and parvovirus.. PV would stand for canine parvovirus.
The only problem is there is a period of time from several days to a couple of weeks which the maternal antibodies are too low to provide protection against the disease, but too high to allow the vaccine to work and produce immunity. This period is called the window of susceptibility. This is the time when despite being vaccinated, a puppy or kitten can still contract the disease. This window varies from litter to litter.
The core vaccines include distemper, Parvovirus, Hepatitis, Rabies...the other vaccines they give only if requested or high risk areas. Have you been to the Vet? you should also have had a booster shot as well to follow up the first shot depending on the age of your puppy.

Also for diarrhea, make sure you are not over feeding your puppy. Some times we tend to over feed our pups which leads to loose stool. Make sure the food the pup is on is agreeing with her...maybe make a change to a lamb & rice formula.

Fran27

Did you just change their diet? I would feed them something blend (like boiled chicken and rice) for a few days to see if it helps.

If you have any doubt about their shots though, go see your vet, he can test for you, and I don't think it's really expensive.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
no their diet hasn't been changed. Well Maverick's has been changed from Purina puppy chow (what they fed him at the last shelter) to Eagle Pack (what I feed him now). I also mix in some water to soften the kibble and some Chicken Soup for the Puppy lover's soul. I've been giving Hannah the boiled chicken and rice and she hasn't been doing any better, I've also been giving her canned pumpkin. Maverick seems more solid this morning though, so I'm assuming he was just adjusting to a new and better food. They did get rawhide bones, this weekend I believe, and that is when Hannah started getting her potty problems but since I've been feeding her the chickend and rice and pumpkin it hasn't gotten any better.

M

Manchesters

How Old Are They?

And when did they receive their last booster shots? Puppies should get a booster at 16 weeks of age, and then again at 6 months of age. After that the owner can go onto whatever shot protocol they prefer.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah is almost six months old. Maverick is 9 or 10 weeks old. He was given those two shots that I mentioned earlier but that is all I know on him. He's been to our vet and the vet said he looked healthy. Hannah has been healthy up until this weekend when she's been getting EXTREMELY watery poop.

M

Manchesters

juliefurry said:
Hannah is almost six months old. Maverick is 9 or 10 weeks old. He was given those two shots that I mentioned earlier but that is all I know on him. He's been to our vet and the vet said he looked healthy. Hannah has been healthy up until this weekend when she's been getting EXTREMELY watery poop.
Hannah needs a booster shot NOW. But wait until her poop is cleared up. Try giving her some rice and ground meat, or rice and chicken....mostly rice. The meat is thrown in as a bribe to get them to eat that tasteless rice, lol. Some cheddar cheese might help too. Of course there are things like Kaopectate, but I am trying to think of things that you can easily get into the dog, lol.

OH.......AND GIVE HER SOME YOGURT QUICK!!!! Maybe half a container? All living beings should consume some live cultures regularly. You can use yogurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese (I think) or nowadays tablets. Just be sure it says that the product contains live cultures! It will help to maintain the natural flora and fauna (better known as bacteria, lol) of our digestive systems. :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
DA2LP-P (or DA2LP-PV) is a combo vaccine of distemper, adenovirus- type 2 (causes infectious canine hepatitis), leptospirosis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus.

pups are generally automatically vaccinated for parvo, since it's a disease that generally only affects puppies.

for what it's worth, i do not think your dog has parvo, and i would not recommend vaccinating while the dog isn't in 100% good shape.

buy some canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not the premade pie filling stuff) and add 1-2 teaspoons to each meal. it should normalize the "situation" pretty quickly.

a probiotic supplement is beneficial too, but at this point i wouldn't introduce many different new things like cottage cheese or buttermilk. you can do that after everything has normalized.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I spoke to the people that own Hannah's mother and they said that Hannah's mother also suffered from very watery poop at around the same age as Hannah is now. They said they brought her into the vet, she was given a shot, and was fine. Hannah is fine otherwise though. I've been giving her the canned pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) with every meal as well. Is this some hereditary thing, or do I have the rawhide to thank for it?

Fran27

My vet gives the booster after one year I think... They get 3 before 4 months, then one a year later. This is confusing.

Members online

No members online now.