Too Much Hair!!

katt223

Mom of Two
ok I've tried to read through most posts here and I haven't found one with exactly the same problem as me so I'm going to start another shedding topic...

Bella sheds all year round. She's inbetween a long and short haired dog... she has a thick undercoat all the time (its all white) but her black top coat sheds all the time too. I can brush a bag of hair outta of her in one sitting and she's shedding like mad again the next day.

People have told me taking her to the groomer will help... but don't they just bath them and brush them? I can do that and it only helps for a few days. What is a furmilator (sp?) Any other tips?

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I have the same problem. I just ordered a furminator from Amazon.com but haven't gotten it yet. It is just a kind of brush that supposedly takes out more of the undercoat than other types of brushes. I haven't gotten mine yet but I've heard they work wonders. I'll let ya know!

angelzeus

a groomer does some of the same things that you are doing but i'm sure you don't have the same tools and know how s the groomer trust me try a groomer you will be surprised how well they do give it a try it can't hurt

ramseyt

hair

I am a groomer at petsmart and they have this procedure called a lo shed. It works really well with most dogs. It normally gets out about 80% of the shedding hair and costs about the same price as bying a furminator. They also have something called a zoom groom that is much cheaper than the furminator and works just as well.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Actually, a good groomer will do more than just bathe and brush - they will use a high velocity steam of air to blow out all the dead coat - which will decrease shedding dramatically!

I worked at a groom shop that offered a similar "de-shedding" package... it was no more in depth than a nice blow-out with the Hi-Vi... just another way to suck the money out of people!

Rubber brushes (such as a the Zoom Groom) are great - I prefer them over the Furminator, and they're one-fifth of the cost. Petco used to carry a generic brand Zoom Groom, which wored much better than the actual ZG. I should have bought a dozen of them, after five years of professional grooming both of mine are worn down to nubs!

duncan15

yes a groomer will do more than just "bathing and brushing". a high velocity dryer will get out more hair tham brushing, and quicker. to be honest, and i am aware that i am mostly alone in this, i do not really like the ferminator. yes it gets out hair. however it is not near as efficient as an undercoat rake, and if used too much can take out guard hairs as well as undercoat, pretty much stripping them. zoom grooms work amazingly well, but not so much on long haired dogs. i use them on chihs, pugs, labs, buxers, dogs like that.

if tou go to a salon and get a deshedding program, it will normally last for about 1-2 weeks, depending on the dog. normally they shed a lot the same day they get it done b/c of all the loose hair, but other than that, i have never had complaints from people feeling like its a ripoff

btw sizzle, your dogs are beautiful, i love dobies

Members online

No members online now.