stratshire bull terrior?

i was wondering if i should get this dog it looks really nice and the description ain't that bad. is it a pit bull? And does the jaws clamp down like a pit bull too? :confused:

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier isn't a Pit Bull, but they do have some similar traits. They can be absolutely wonderful, loving companions in the right hands. You must be able to be firm, more so with the Terriers, without bullying the dog, and be willing to invest some time in obedience training, whether you do it on your own or take a class.

Do some research on the breed on the web and visit the dog you are interested in before you make up your mind.

You've also got to consider the dog's exercise needs and the amount of time and attention you can devote to him. A Bull Terrier is going to need more exercise than just running around in a yard. It needs for you to play with it; tugging games are great - if your arms can take it! They are also very devoted to their people and want to be treated as your best friend and most trusted confidante. These are not dogs you can ignore, they just won't let you.

Bailey's Pet

Bailey's Pet
I love my staffy but he is an attention hog... he pouts every time i leave the room... Great pup though.. needs some training though. can someone help??? :confused:

Staffy's are often too smart to respond to "typical" training. They'll figure things out and they need a reason to do things. NILIF - you've seen Serena's posts about it probably - Nothing In Life Is Free, has some real plusses with dogs like Terriers, and I'd also recommend checking out the Monks of New Skete training books and videos.

Then, there's always my little method that gets a lot of strange looks, head shaking and disbelief . . . I talk to mine. I explain to them what I want and why, usually nose to snout, always in a quiet, low voice and very calmly. Of course, you'd better be very sure of your dog before you stick your nose that close, and it's only going to work if you've established a tight, tight loving bond and a great deal of understanding and rapport. And your dog has to be used to you just talking to him/her on a routine basis. Then you have to get used to all the looks you get from other people. (lol)

pitbulliest

just because they "look nice" and their "description ain't that bad" it doesn't mean its the breed for you...are you even ready for a dog? Do you know the responsibilities involved in owning one..especially one that has a rough reputation? (maybe not as bad as a pit's..but definately not far off)...

It takes a knowledgeable and well educated owner to own one of these dogs..and I would never recommend one to someone that has no experience in the breed..if there is ever a negative situation that this dog is involved with because you didn't do enough reading or had enough experience, THAT BREED'S REPUTATION WILL SUFFER...which is why I always emphasize that only people who know what they're doing and talking about should even consider owning these dogs..

If I were you..I would do some heavy research..think about where you live, what your daily schedule is like..and definately what your future looks like..are you going to be moving soon? Are you going back to school or getting a full time job? Does your family want a dog? Are you ready to spend time, money, and energy on a dog in order to ensure that it's happy, healthy and well cared for?

Get a few books from the library on dog ownership..nevermind breeds YET..figure out if you're ready for a DOG..and then start figuring out which breed would be most suitable for your lifestyle..but like I said..if its your first dog..please reconsider pit bulls/rotties/staffies..any dogs that require a truely knowledgeable owner to ensure that the breed only receives positive feedback..

good luck in your research, and I hope you keep us updated about what you're gonna do next.

Members online

No members online now.