dry vs. canned...

painter

Herschel said:
All of the foods/treats that have received the "seal" are horrible!
Can you help me by explaining the specific horrible things. Perhaps some science versus opinion to support your claim?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Painter, it's actually pretty obvious, just look at the ingredient lists of those products. Almost all of them fall into the category of low quality food that people are warned about.

I do realize that you are an employee of the pet food industry, and as such may have a different perspective, but it is pretty obvious to me that this VOHC is heavily biased towards that same industry and doesn't recommend a single alternative that involves anything but buying a commercial food or treat.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here though and will leave it to you to inform the other readers of this forum of your employment and explain your particular point of view. :)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
painter said:
Can you help me by explaining the specific horrible things. Perhaps some science versus opinion to support your claim?
It really is obvious. Is kibble full of corn, starch, grain, and unnatural additives supposed to be healthy for any dog? Are Hartz rawhides known to be made in countries where rawhide is preserved with toxins, and widely warned about, supposed to be healthy? Greenies are primarily made with processed wheat gluten, not exactly healthful. I used to give my Border Collie a Greenie a day. This cost around $30 a month, in Greenies alone, and his rear molars and canines were still half covered in plaque. He also chipped a tooth on a sterilized bone that is supposedly recommended by Vets. Now that he gets 2 $2 rec bones a month, his teeth are white, healthy and plaque-free... something that plasticy, synthetic SD & Hartz chews could never, ever accomplish.

Poppy

Mental note-do not take advise from painter.:eek:

As far as canned vs kibble I have seen just as many dogs with horrible tarter build up from kibble. Perhaps more so than canned. Consider it this way if I were to eat chocolate chip cookies every day do you think those cookies are going to clean my teeth.:) Yet, if I were to eat natural organic yogurt every day my teeth would be clean.

I am a health freak (later in life health freak). When I was eating junk I got cavities, tarter and I brushed daily. Now I eat healthy, veggies, yogurt, fish, nuts, seeds and my teeth are beautiful I do not get plaque or morning breath any longer.

The quality of the food that goes into your body is what gives you healthy teeth. Kibble does not clean teeth any better than my favorite chocolate chip cookies. It's the state your body is in. Sugar, poor Carb's etc = dental problems and yes health problems.

There is nothing better than a good raw meaty bone for cleaning teeth. I feed a rotation diet of canned and raw meats/food diet. My dogs have beautiful teeth and a tooth brush has never touched their teeth. My Vets are always so amazed especially since all my dogs are senior citizens.

Members online

No members online now.