What do you add to their kibble? Or do you?

JacksonsMom

What do you add to your dogs kibble? Or I guess just food in general?

Sometimes I feel like I'm not giving Jackson enough... I always hear of people adding fish oil, coconut oil, and all kinds of other supplements. Maybe he's being deprived! LOL.

Jackson just gets his kibble and wet food mixed in. Usually breakfast is kibble/wet and at dinner time I pour the rest of the kibble in his bowl and he eats it within an hour dry.

The only thing he occasionally gets is some egg, but that's probably only twice a month when I make scrambled. I had made a thread not too long ago about giving him a raw egg once a week or so - still haven't started that. Also, if we ever eat chicken or beef, etc, he gets a little bit of our leftover meat in his dinner.

But as far as daily, I don't give any fish oil, or omega's, or vitamins, or anything. Should I be? I mean, he's doing well as is (very active, no knee or joint problems, good weight, good coat, etc). He does get a half of a stick of one of these glucosamine sticks every night before bed:

He will be 4 in October, so not old by any means, but he certainly runs a LOT and is pretty active, I wonder if anything should be used as a preventative measure?

Toller_08

They get coconut oil in the morning, sardine or salmon oil in the evening, and the Dobes get Apple Cider Vinegar in the morning and evening. They also get a raw egg (no shell - they won't eat it) two to three times per week. I also try to make sure the Dobes get some raw stuff (meaty bones, some of Dance's ground stuff depending on what I've thawed for her) in their diets now too a couple times a week (not mixed with their kibble). It just makes me feel better to know they're getting something that's not processed.

The ACV is a new addition, trying to see if it helps Ripley's skin issues at all. And I figure it can't hurt Keira, so she gets it too.

Dance eats raw, but she gets all of those same things minus the ACV and I also give her dried kelp in the mornings.

I never used to give my dogs anything extra at all, but the Dobermans inparticular seem prone to dry skin, which is why I originally started adding fish oils to their diet. The coconut oil is new - I just started that a few months ago. Not really for any real reason other than I wanted to try it and it's supposed to be good for them. But, seeing as I am also giving them fish oil, I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not.

I've considered adding a joint supplement to their diet as well, but I don't know if I should or not. None of them seem to have any issues, and they aren't sport dogs or anything. Just active pets. So I haven't done it yet, but might start. The Dobes will both be middle aged for their breed next year, and of course I want Dance to live (healthy) forever so want to do what I can to help her do that!

And aside from all that, they often get leftover people food thrown in too if it's something they can eat. I have dogs with sensitive tummies, so have to be careful. Occasionally I'll buy them a tub of yogurt too to share, but that's just a "when I feel like it" thing. We'll see if the ACV does anything.

My dogs don't seem any different now with supplements than without. I just like knowing they're getting a little extra. And their coats are more shiny with oils in their diet.

If I am feeling nice I also sometimes add canned food to the Dobes' kibble. It's obviously not a supplement, but they think it's just the best thing ever.

CaliTerp07

Nothing--she's doing great on just kibble alone, so with all her food intolerance issues I don't want to rock the boat!

She had seasonal allergy issues for a while, and the vet suggested fish oil, but it was near impossible to get her to eat it. We had to cut open the pills and hide it in little cheese pillows and it was messy and gross and sometimes still she'd sniff and avoid it. (And this is my dog who eats EVERYTHING she can get her mouth on). I gave up--it didn't seem to be making a difference anyway.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Nothing consistently. They get canned Merrick or Wellness stew on the weekends (the only time I feed them) but that's about it. I don't really see the need for my dogs to have any supplements added, they're doing fine as is.

Lyzelle

I feed Acana Pacifica and I add an egg and SG Seameal in the mornings. Bit of water, too, because I don't like a loose powder over dry food.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
All five get Vitamin C and Fish Oil. Stryder and Kiba and Glyco-Flex I (soon to be II), and then Kiba gets Duralactin twice a day.

In the evening, they get some premade raw mixed in with their kibble, along with some water.

In the morning, they get canned food (a wide variety), water, and supplements. For supplements, they get kelp/seameal, liquid fish oil, digestive enzymes, and a hip/joint supplement daily. They also get pumpkin about three times a week.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
As far as supplements go, we just give glyco flex. I'm not sure if it's doing anything to be honest.

SpringerLover

Bailey gets salmon oil, seameal, dasuquin with msm, and wapiti labs mobility in the morning. She gets salmon oil and seameal at night. She eats a mixture of kibble, raw, freeze dried raw, and canned.

Buzz gets coconut oil and wapiti labs longevity in the morning. He gets nothing at night. He eats all raw and the only treats he gets are dehydrated duck liver.

They both take a handful of prescription meds, but those aren't supplements.

Oh, and Buzz has been getting a naturvet digestive enxzym/probiotic supplement too... because he farts a lot without it.

Last edited:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nothing consistently. They get canned Merrick or Wellness stew on the weekends (the only time I feed them) but that's about it. I don't really see the need for my dogs to have any supplements added, they're doing fine as is.
Yah i only feed rosey on weekends too, or else she comes to expect food daily... much cheaper this way! ;)

Rosey gets nothing mixed in... she gets some meat thrown in once a week.

The ferrets get melatonin

yoko

Yoshi just gets kibble but I do give her safe scraps about once a week I just make sure to not feed her as much kibble later that night so she doesn't get fat.

I usually give her a raw egg once or twice a week. Not really to supplement, just because she likes it.

Saeleofu

Gavroche get fish oil a joint supplement, his thyroid medication, and water, B12 every other day, and occasionally a digestive enzyme supplement if he's been particularly farty.

Logan gets water, fish oil, a joint supplement, biotin, and B12 every other day.

The joint supplements are preventative. I know Gavroche has less than spectacular hips, so I want to preserve them. Logan is a big working dog and I'd like him to be able to work as long as possible, so I give it to him because I figure it can't hurt anything. The fish oil is for skin and joints, and the B12 is for poop issue prevention. I just started Logan on biotin to see if it helps the hair on his tail any - it tends to break around the base of the tail. Nobody would notice if they didn't know that it's supposed to be solid black there instead of seeing the undercoat color poke through, but I figured it can't hurt. He also gets occasional small hotspots (nothing that requires shaving, thankfully!) and I read that biotin is supposed to be spectacular for those sorts of skin issues.

The water is because I like my dogs to be as hydrated as possible. (Mixed in with their food, JESS! :p )

They both get raw eggs several times per week because they LOVE fresh, hot-from-the-chicken eggs.

Red Chrome

Mine get SG Seameal, Vertex,Nupro Joint and a couple THK supplements. Also fish oil,coconut oil and a raw egg a couple times a week.

K, it's VERY complicated. Here goes-
All three get kibble, I make a homemade cooked "wet mix" of mostly lean ground beef with veggies/fruit/small amount of rice/and spices (cinnamon/curry powder/sometime ginger), with that I give Jinj 50/50 kibble wet mix and mix all his supplements in the wet mix. Noods gets a small dab of the wet mix, and End gets a small amount of it too with dinner mix her supplements in. Enda also gets Raw for breakfast often, and gets a raw satin ball with her dinner.

Supplements, Jinj get in a day- 2000MG of G and MSM, 1000MG salmon oil, 1 TBSP coconut oil, and his allergy meds. End gets- half a b-complex pill (Rexal), 650MG of cranberry, 1000MG salmon oil, and 2 TBSP coconut oil. Noods get about 1/2TBSP coconut oil.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Finnegan gets Omega Alpha GlucosaPet, tripe and salmon oil mixed in with the kibble in his Kong in the mornings. Evenings, he gets wet mixed in with kibble (the wet varies - Weruva, Merrick, Hound & Gatos..) mostly because I give him powdered supplements at night - a kelp-based multivitamin that does WONDERS for his coat, and Geneflora which is primarily a probiotic. Also Nature's Dentist on top.

The GlucosaPet is just a low dose preventative, but the rest I really see a difference. Nice tiny poops, sheen on his coat, and generally just healthier-looking.

June Bug gets the kelp vitamins, fish oil and Geneflora in her wet food, and Nature's Dentist on top.

The ferrets get melatonin and Geneflora in their weekly soup for a probiotic boost.

All the carnivores get raw as supplements/treats when I can, though Barrett hates raw. :p

Not to mention I get all pet supplements at cost, and Omega Alpha makes human supplements, and I can order them in through the store for my discount if I wish, so I'm on like six supplements as well. XD

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
With kibble they get various stuff. I try to make their meals at least 1/3 fresh food when they're eating kibble. Usually they get boiled chicken or ground beef, a raw egg, and/or cottage cheese mixed in. Canned food is a waste of money IMO! :p You can get pounds of fresh meat or one little can for the same price.

They always get salmon oil and Pet Kelp daily, whether they eat kibble or raw. Gonzo gets Pet Kelp for Joints and Skin, Fozzie just gets Pet Kelp for skin. I notice a difference within DAYS of running out of Pet Kelp... I highly recommend it for anyone whose dogs have dry skin or coat.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo AM:
-kibble
-tiny bit of Earthborn Holistic Pepper's Pot Pie (just started, waiting for a reaction)
-Alaska Natural's Salmon Oil
-1/2 tablet of NaturVet VitaPet Adult Stage Multi-Vitamin

Frodo PM:
-kibble
-tiny bit of Earthborn Holistic Pepper's Pot Pie
-Alaska Natural's Salmon Oil
-1/2 tablet NaturVet VitaPet Adult Stage Multi-Vitamin
-Fluoxitine (crazy meds, so...not really supplement but w/e)
-Gentle Digest (probiotic due to constipation from Fluoxitine)
-Wapiti Labs Mobility (I'm freaking out that Frodo is probably starting to have joint issues :()

Members online

No members online now.