Is this Pure GSD?

Did you buy the pup as a purebred? If so what makes you question the breeder and think they might have lied?

S

Squishy22

I'd love to see more pics. Because like everyone has said, either he is very badly bred, or he isn't pure bred.

Is that a white stripe down his nose? It sure looks like it. But someone mentioned it could be a scar or thin hair. This could possibly be a clue, because I've never seen a GSD with a white stripe going down its muzzle.

Romy

Taxiderpy
IMO he is so out of standard I wouldn't consider him a pure bred. Especially if the parents are unknown. If he came from someone who claims he is purebred, they are either breeding really out of standard shepherds, or they are lying.

I have never seen a GSD with any kind of blaze on it's nose, white or otherwise. That by itself makes me think mix. When you add in the plush coat, floppy ears and funky build, and non shepherdy face, he just doesn't look pure bred to me.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
It's the same puppy picture you posted on another forum, the same one everyone said not to get and that doesn't look purebred, I'm confused, you buy the dog anyway and then go somewhere else to ask if he looks purebred?
If you wanted a purebred dog, go to a breeder that has proof of breeding from something like FCI, SV, AKC, UKC, etc. Nobody can tell you from pictures that the dog is 100% purebred..if both the parents are papered and they are REALLY the parents, then there should be no question as to if the dog is purebred or not.

his parents shouldn't be bred if that's what they're producing

and maybe i'm not seeing in the pics what people are talking about on the nose? which pic? almost every gsd has a color variation on their muzzle, especially going down the center of the nose.

S

Squishy22

You can see it in all the pics. Whether its light brown or white, I have no idea. Whether its common in this breed, I have no idea. Just something I noticed, that I've never seen in a GSD before. Maybe its just my eyes, I dunno.

I brightened this pic up in LIGHTROOM to show it a little better. The pic below...

Xandra

His parents, if those are his parents, are purebred.

My first impression is the really young picture looks purebred, the older ones don't. If that's the same dog I don't know what to say. I've seen markings change as dogs age but I've never seen a puppy with a full blanket change to a puppy with no blanket to speak of in what... weeks? Is it because his guard hairs are all missing/shaved out?

You're from Pakistan, right? Don't you have a registry there that keeps track of purebred dogs?

It comes down to this:
If there is no registry that has kept track of his lineage, you'll never really know if he is purebred. When he grows up, it'll be easier to tell. Right now all we can say is that his parents look absolutely pure and he looks like a mutt.

Maybe by some freak accident his mother was bred by the purebred dog and by a mutt as well? I know in some animals that can lead to different sires for different offspring in the same litter.

If those are his parents, well, then he is a purebred, and most of us are wrong, end of story.

Can you prove those are his parents?

S

Squishy22

I honestly think something is fishy here.

I do agree that if those ARE his parents, then he IS pure bred. No disputing that!

Romy

Taxiderpy

This puppy is a sable is he not? That's what I thought when I first saw him. It would also explain the drastic changes in markings, if he hasn't been shaved.

If he is genetically a sable, then those are not his parents. It is impossible. At the very LEAST, that is not his father. Two black and tans can not produce a sable, sable is dominant.

Either the breeder outright lied to you and that is not even his mother and father, or his mother got pregnant by a mix and the breeder didn't know, or did know and decided to sell them as purebred anyway.

Xandra

Either the breeder outright lied to you and that is not even his mother and father, or his mother got pregnant by a mix and the breeder didn't know, or did know and decided to sell them as purebred anyway.
Yessum that's my thinking as well.

Good point about the genetics I forgot about that.

Here, in the baby puppy pic, though:

He looks like a black and tan, not a sable.

Agree or disagree?

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
It doesn't look like the same dog in both pics at all, the puppy has black and tan face with specific markings, the older pup doesn't.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Ikram--I am curious as to why you want to know if he is purebred? Does it matter? What are your plans for this dog?

Members online