Anyone have a law in their state that

Cidney

prevents people from letting an dog or any animal for that matter ride in the back of a truck unsecured?

It makes me so darn mad to see someone riding down the road and there is a dog riding in the back. I would like to know if there are such laws against this and would like to attempt to bring some attention to the matter in the state of Texas. I have no idea where to begin or who to contact.

Debi

I'm in PA and I see it all the time, so we must not have a law against it either. Like you, I HATE that!! :mad:

That legislation was brought before the Tennessee House of Representatives and was overwhelmingly defeated. You wouldn't believe the outcry from people against the legislation.

I have very mixed feelings. On one hand, it just curls my toes to see an animal riding loose in the back of a pickup - or worse on a flatbed, but on the other hand, the creeping infringement of government in our lives frightens me even more. It seems like every time you blink there's another law being passed that subverts personal freedom and civil liberty - like breed specific legislation.

The best answer is personal responsibility and concern for the welfare of the creatures in our care. Some people don't even think about the possible consequences for their dog(s) riding in the back of a truck. Personally, I don't like seeing a dog riding in the open at all; the primary risk being injury from highway debris. The other thing that absolutely baffles me is seeing people transport their dogs in those cages fastened to the back bumper of their vehicle. They're in the worst position possible to be crushed in the lightest fender-bender, the containers are often metal - can you imagine how hot they get, and they're right above the exhaust!
We don't need more laws, we just need to be more thoughtful.

As far as I am concerned, I am a bit more concerned with people riding in the back than the dog...in colorado, I know you can't sit someone back there...but I don't think there is any law prohibiting dogs from being there.

Although...I wouldn't be surprised of some of the cops would pull you over about it.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

yep i saw dogs riding in the back of ick up trucks. i dont like it its do dangerous i dont think its illegal up in N..Y.

hunter12

its unfortunate...

....but majority, including myself, do not transport animals properly.
NOT A LECTURE I PROMISE.
I have three danes, who all enjoy a ride every now and then.
I used to have a dodge caravan that worked well. Danes like to sit on things... so... it was brillliant. Back row seats held three sitting ( on real short trips) and two comfortably. I even had a custom steel grate that would lock in place where the sliding door was so i could drive with the side sliding door open. They loved it.
Now i have a 4 door truck but noone rides in the back.

I was corrected a year or so ago by a friend's attempt to scare me by showing me accident pictures with animals inside and sadly, it did just that. A horrible, needless, thing. Even the tuffist heart would pity.
So, I was given the lecture on crating my dogs while in transport. For thier safety and my safety. Fair enough.

OK so im not here to preach, because to this day, "my danes still ride front feet on the floor", in the back seat. Free from restraint.
I drive more careful with them in the truck. I am aware of them all the way.

A "russel", ok I'd probably crate.. ( probably more often that I should ..heh JK. Really. ) :rolleyes:

So, im not saying seatbelts and straps ( cuz really, even I dont wear a seatbelt all the time..(whatever)) , are the cure all, like crates,
but I think as an owner, we should do what we can, whatever that is, to protect our pets.

Thats it.

Hunter12
:cool:

Last edited:
They've just passed a law here that enables the cops to pull you over if they don't think you're wearing a seatbelt (we call it the Safety Nazi law - the real purpose is to provide a legal cover for otherwise unauthorized stops) so I've been fairly religious about putting mine on. I used to have a seat belt that Bimmer used but it's disappeared somewhere, and the two girls will be getting seatbelts. Of course, Shiva in the back seat of the little 318i pretty much takes up the entire seat, and when Kharma's full grown the two of them belted in their seats on each side will be pretty hysterical. Bimmer will not sit with either one of them, so he has to sit in the front passenger, which I really don't like since it's the most dangerous seat, but my driving is completely different with the dogs in the car than it is by myself - much less aggressive and closer to the speed limit. (lol)

It's a lot like driving with kids: "Settle down in the back seat! Don't make me stop and pull this car over!" They're actually getting pretty well mannered in the car now that the girls are growing up.

D

doggy_lover

i love my dog and all but i dont see it being harm full to the pup if hes back there and at least has some sort of padding! its not like were going to race and be stupid with our dogs back there!

Yeah, but that doesn't take into account all the other idiots on the road who don't have their dogs with them, are drinking coffee, talking on the phone, twiddling with the CD player or radio or just being stupid.

Members online

No members online now.