Chicago anyone?

Taqroy

Stop in Minneapolis on the way!!!
Yes! Definitely Minneapolis!
I can't be that close and NOT meet you guys! :p I'm trying to figure out a way to bring Mu with me but I'm not having much luck. I'm planning on flying and she's just a little too tall and heavy to fit in an under the seat kennel. :(

I'm thinking I might fly into Chicago, see my sister for a couple days, rent a car and drive out to Minneapolis (and stop and see Moth for a bit on the way), crash somewhere there and then fly out of Minneapolis. Just priced it out and it looks totally do-able. Now I just have to find out when my in-laws want us to come visit them so I can plan around that.

Uh...sorry for the massive threadjacking Fran! Lol.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I can't be that close and NOT meet you guys! :p I'm trying to figure out a way to bring Mu with me but I'm not having much luck. I'm planning on flying and she's just a little too tall and heavy to fit in an under the seat kennel. :(

I'm thinking I might fly into Chicago, see my sister for a couple days, rent a car and drive out to Minneapolis (and stop and see Moth for a bit on the way), crash somewhere there and then fly out of Minneapolis. Just priced it out and it looks totally do-able. Now I just have to find out when my in-laws want us to come visit them so I can plan around that.

You can stay on my couch! :lol-sign: Someone may come along with a better offer, but you can definitely stay with us! :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well...I like Chicago and I'm not really a big-city person. For some reason, even though it's huge and "the" Midwestern city, it never struck me as too crowded the way many coastal cities do. To be fair I lived outside the city, not in it, but I was close and would visit for various things. Shows to see, pretty much unlimited shopping, lots of dog activities...

It's a nice city but definitely has a midwestern vibe. It may be different but that doesn't make it bad. If nothing else, you can explore something new for your college career then flee back to the eastern seaboard with an education and no debt ;)

I'm not much of a big city person. It's fun to visit Chicago sometimes, but it's not a place for me to live in. I guess the traffic really turns me off, but that's any big city. But usually when we're going somewhere, we're going thru chicago at the worst times and I always wonder how people can live with this everyday :) But i'm sure they find ways to adapt.

Dekka

Just try me..
I find winters are easier in big cities, Toronto always has less snow and is warmer (even though its on the shore of lake ontario) than here. The buildings and pavement store heat from the sun. So it shouldn't be bad.

That said I find the idea of religious universities bizarre. Here the only religious post secondary schools we have are bible colleges that you go to if you want to get involved in a religious based career. Do religious colleges teach the same things? Do they add religion to your courses?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'm a few hours south.

Honestly, as a big city girl, I think you would LOVE Chicago. Tons to do, the shopping OMG. If you like concerts and plays and all that stuff you really don't need to look anywhere else. Just about any artist you would ever want to see will play Chicago. One of the best concerts of my life took place in a small old theatre up in Chicago... it was amazing. And seriously, the shopping. Plus all the museums, the zoos, the aquarium, frickin' Navy Pier.
It would also be awesome for you because you really don't need a car. The public transport system will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Some of the lines are a bit janky and nasty but it IS Chicago, LOL. You can cab it if you want but there's really no need, plus that's expensive and the public transport is way cheap.

But as a Florida girl you might also hate it, because they do tend to get lots of cold lake effect weather. I will say, however, that Chicago is beautiful in the snow.
When it doesn't look like this.

KIDDING... I'm almost 28 and I can only think of twice in my life, counting last year, that we had snowstorms THAT bad. Chicago always gets more than we do down here but it's not like Lake Shore Drive gets buried in snow every other week in winter. It's really not super common. On the up side, a friend of mine who moved up to Chicago went SNOWBOARDING in the city when it snowed like that. Urban snowboarding. In Chicago. How cool is that?!

And yes... it's a Catholic private university... I think that is something you need to do a lot of soul searching on more than if you think Chicago is going to be too cold for you. Their website talks plenty about diversity and people from all kinds of faiths but it's still a Catholic university. I visited a Christian college years ago and they aren't going to be forcing people to go to church on Sunday and stuff but it's definitely still a Christian college and you can tell.

ETA: Linds lives in a suburb near Chicago. I think we have a few Chicago suburbanites on the forum actually. I have considered Schaumburg personally... it's a nice little place and THAT'S WHERE IKEA IS.

ETA2: The other nice thing about Chicago is you have an international airport there, so you can fly pretty much wherever you want right from there, or people can fly in there. So it will be great for your family. Though I think Boston also has an international airport, so that one isn't any different for you.

It really is a lovely city. I love to visit and play. Something about it just gives me a major thrill and puts "Sweet Home Chicago" in my head, even though I've never lived there or called it home LOL.
I don't know if I could truly live there a LONG time, but I could do a year or two pretty easily before I started wanting some acreage LOL.
Thanks for the info! This totally has me a bit psyched and that pictures is awesome :rofl1:
As for the weather, honestly, even being from Florida.. I do much better in the Connecticut winter than I do in hot summers lol I'm not really that picky weather wise

I had no idea there was so much to do there! I knew it was a city but I just started researching and WOW!

I went to a Catholic high school, and frankly, didn't bother me all that much. I mean.. If anything I have adapted to the point where I just tune it all out lol

There's a few Chazzers close to Chicago.

The weather does suck at it's extremes, though being from Miami, you'll at least be used to the heat/humidity of summer. Still, lots to do, great art all around, fun bars, Michigan Mile...
Sounds like fun! I just googled the mile and it looks frikin awesome!

And ya, extreme temperatures.. bring it on! lol I'm used to the Miami heat and ridiculous connecticut winters so hopefully this will be an even compromise of craziness :rofl1:

Yeah, pretty much ditto what Beanie said.

I am so not a good city person, I don't like it, I avoid it and I do not enjoy it. That being said, I am so spoiled living here because everything I could ever want is at my finger tips. Big names come to Chicago, there are a million stores and things to do. And there is a lot of land outside of it. It's not so built up that you can't find nice forest preserves and places outside of the city atmosphere.

And yes, I live near Chicago! Emily lives in Chicago currently too.
I'm a total city person, but it's great that it's so easy to kind of get away and find space. It seems like there are quite a few nice parks.. which are great dog wise.

Oh cool...both of my parents went to Loyola!

I'm in the burbs, not the city, but Chicago is pretty awesome. Yes, the winters can be rough (although this year has been really mild), but there's a lot of fun stuff to make up for it. Chicago is seriously the best city to eat in (deep dish pizza, Chicago-style hot dogs, etc). Great sports, museums, concerts, theater, shopping, architecture, etc. There's always something to do or a new place to visit.
I do like pizza!! lol and I do love that aspect of city life..always things to do!

I would live there just for the Giordanos pizza.

My sister lived in Chicago for about 5 years so I went down and visited a couple times. I am NOT a city person... AT ALL. So I could never live there, I absolutely hated using public transportation but it's also a city that I would not want to drive in either. Stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one lol.

But I really loved visiting and I wish I had a reason to go back. So much to see and do, lots of fun places to shop at, good places to eat. If you're a big city person, I think it'd be right up your alley!
I love public transport and cities and hate driving lol so I guess it works.

It really does seem like a lovely city, and it's not like I'm deciding on a place to live forever and start a family.. I think the change might be nice :)

I just wanted to say I go to a Christian university and I'm an atheist, and it's really so NOT an issue. Other than the bio teacher last semester rambling on about how you can choose what you believe and blah blah blah (and then going on to teach a FANTASTIC evolution class), I really don't even notice. It's not like they force you to go to church or anything lol. I even got out of religion classes since I already have a BA and am working on my second BA.
I have heard things similar to this speaking of the class schedule. The only difference really is that you have to take a theology course (which can be anything from philosophy, to world religions, etc.. if you don't want to take a religious class)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I live in Chicago proper, Fran. I'm wiped and my back is out (doh) but I PROMISE to get back to this tomorrow. :)
IT'S TOMORROW!! lol

This.
Both my and my husband's hometown is just a few hours south of Chicago. I used to take day or weekend trips there often. The city is quite enjoyable and I always thought the lack of needing to drive was a huge draw, lol.

I'm not a fan of IL in general, but I do love Chicago. Probably because I live in a place with no museums whatsoever. Horrors
I can't drive (people with epilepsy driving tends to be frowned upon lol go figure :rofl1:) so I certainly see the draw!

I'm very close to Chicago too :D I think SillySally is as well. I can get to Chicago (driving) in about an hour-ish......depending on traffic of course.

We normally have about the same weather Chicago is having since we live nearly straight east, and being a Florida girl, you most definitely will not like it, LOL This winter has been very mild though with only a couple snow storms. It is snowing right this minute though :( BOO!

As others have said, shopping, museums, shopping, restaurants, shopping, plays, shopping.......tons to do if you like the big city! LOL

PS The south shore train will only cost you $8 to come see me! hahahaha
I am down for any chazzer visits!! lol especially for $8!

As for weather.. I adapt pretty well. I go home (to Miami) on school holidays, so I'm not too worried about it honestly lol

They do have really good public transportation, which is why my sister really wanted to go there. A different sister did go to Wheaton, which is outside of Chicago, so we've visited there, and I love that city. It was so much prettier then New York, it was fun, windy, clean, the atmosphere was awesome. And they have cool parks. And the bean is epic.
I totally forgot about the beach!! I do miss being around water!

All I know about Chicago is Jerry Springer and Oprah where filmed there.

I vote give Chicago a try , You know what Boston is Like and why not expand your horzions , especially if it is almost free. Heck you did cold and snow last year in so the weather should not be a put off.

What about your medical issues , do they have to be considered , or you commuting to the doc? well really not my business just wanted to throw that ot if you had not considered it.

Okay that is all.
Lol Oh god Oprah! I should go just to meet her!!

That's also been on my mind lately.. I mean, I KNOW I love Boston, I have family in boston and have been there plenty of times.. I'll be attending basically for free so I figure.. why not give it a shot? Boston will always be there if I don't like it lol

Distance from home really isn't an issue I've found. Flights from Chicago-Miami and Boston-Miami are about the same price range.. and either way, theres no way I am road-tripping home lol

Oh and yea, the reason why I picked some cities to apply to schools to and not others is because they have recommended Doctors/hospital programs near by. Most of my work will still be done at home during breaks (research and check up wise), but I do have doctors I trust in both Chicago and Boston if need be for more frequent visits/emergencies :)

It's pretty lucky that I love cities because everything that kind of comes with my condition (not being able to drive, needing to be near hospitals and such) comes with city life lol

Skivvies

They do have really good public transportation, which is why my sister really wanted to go there. A different sister did go to Wheaton, which is outside of Chicago, so we've visited there, and I love that city. It was so much prettier then New York, it was fun, windy, clean, the atmosphere was awesome. And they have cool parks. And the bean is epic.
Wheaton is where I live now. It's a really nice little town, although I wouldn't mind moving to a burb that's closer to the city one day (Oak Park would be my dream, love that place).

Loyola's campus is far north within the city (Rogers Park I think?) so the traffic and stuff isn't as bad as, say, the Loop. Also, public transportation around the city is pretty decent. Some of my friends will drive us in the city, but I'm a terrible driver so I've always managed to get where I need to go using public transportation.

I didn't realize there were so many Chicago-area people here either!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
NO kidding... mmmmmm.

The closest Giordanos to me is still about an hour and forty minutes away... waaaay too far. Though maybe that's a good thing because I might be really fat if one was closer.

I don't even LIKE deep dish pizza. It's THAT good people.
OMG.

Oh yeah, and there's also ANY dog sport you could want up there. Dock diving? Okay. Earth dog? Sure. Agility? Uh-huh. Confo? Yup. Flyball? Fo' sho'.
Down here I can get agility and earth dog aaaaand that's about it.
I really need to try this pizza now!! lol

and good to hear about dog sports :) I had no idea Chicago was so doggy friendly!!

I've only ever been to Chicago on trips, mainly to see concerts. We were there last year for an anime convention, as well as a Distant Worlds concert. LOL The parts I've been in, I've liked. For the convention we drove (3 hours away from us) and our world basically existed of the hotel (and the hot tub. Bwahahaha). But for the concert, my friend, sister, and I took the train up and walked everywhere we needed to go. It was great. My back hurt from walking after awhile, as we were lugging our luggage in a backpack about 90% of the time, but it was still great.

Glad to hear you can pretty much walk/make my way everywhere :)

and Anime convention sounds awesome!! is it like comic-con?

No problem about the threadjacking! :D lol if I do decide to move there we can do a meet up part 2! haha

Well...I like Chicago and I'm not really a big-city person. For some reason, even though it's huge and "the" Midwestern city, it never struck me as too crowded the way many coastal cities do. To be fair I lived outside the city, not in it, but I was close and would visit for various things. Shows to see, pretty much unlimited shopping, lots of dog activities...

It's a nice city but definitely has a midwestern vibe. It may be different but that doesn't make it bad. If nothing else, you can explore something new for your college career then flee back to the eastern seaboard with an education and no debt ;)
That really is important to me... like I could do pretty well in Boston no problem with your basic work/study thing but to be able to really just live and go to school for free..it's an awesome opportunity.

and yea, as much as I love cities and hustle and bustle and people.. I don't like crowds. So that's good! lol

I'm not much of a big city person. It's fun to visit Chicago sometimes, but it's not a place for me to live in. I guess the traffic really turns me off, but that's any big city. But usually when we're going somewhere, we're going thru chicago at the worst times and I always wonder how people can live with this everyday :) But i'm sure they find ways to adapt.
I guess I'm adapted lol or maybe that's not the right word considering I was born/raised in the city. It did take a while for me to adapt to little town, connecticut though! lol it's funny but I really was stressed my first months here, everything is so QUIET!! haha

I find winters are easier in big cities, Toronto always has less snow and is warmer (even though its on the shore of lake ontario) than here. The buildings and pavement store heat from the sun. So it shouldn't be bad.

That said I find the idea of religious universities bizarre. Here the only religious post secondary schools we have are bible colleges that you go to if you want to get involved in a religious based career. Do religious colleges teach the same things? Do they add religion to your courses?
They teach the same things are regular colleges (as in, religion doesn't make it's way into regular coursework) some do add extra required courses such as theology but as with Loyola, you can choose to fulfill that requirement by taking philosophy, world religions or some kind of non-catholic equivalent course.

The only real difference is that there are some religious stuffs dotted around campus (crosses, church) and sometimes student rules tend to correspond with religious teachings (for example, many catholic universities discourage co-ed sleepovers in dorms.. where-as at regular unis they honestly don't care lol)

I've heard that Loyola is pretty forward thinking, it's a Jesuit school, which I've heard tends to run on the much looser/liberal side of the catholic church stuff.. which is nice.

It's also nice that kind of part of the whole religious school thing is that the schools tend to focus a lot on smaller class sizes and such.. which is awesome!

Saeleofu

It's also nice that kind of part of the whole religious school thing is that the schools tend to focus a lot on smaller class sizes and such.. which is awesome!
That's my favorite part. 13 people in a class? AWESOME!

Dekka

Just try me..
I have only 14 people in one of my classes. I just go to a smallish university.

Do they have multiple classes of each subject to keep them small, or is the draw just that limited?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

Do they have multiple classes of each subject to keep them small, or is the draw just that limited?
The schools tend to be smaller/more selective in general.
To find a school with gen-eds with less than 50 people I'd say is pretty rare.. I go to a LARGE university now and one of my gen-ed classes has over 200 students lol

I said I was an atheist on my application lol so I assume they are ready to deal with me :rofl1:
but for real I think if I can survive 4 years of catholic (as in, nuns teaching you about abstinence and walking around being scary) high school.. I can deal with this lol

I have been checking the interwebs and it seems that the school is very liberal. There are gay pride/pro-choice groups on campus, and it seems that the school has even had issues with the catholic church
which only makes me want to go there even more! LOL

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I live about 2 hours from Chicago too! Very nice city! It is beautiful and very pretty.

Should I keep my mouth shut about the fact that we have a Giordanos in my town? :D

Saeleofu

For the basics, there are multiple sections of each course, so classes are still usually 20 or less. The Zoo Science classes do not have multiples per semester, it's just a small program.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Should I keep my mouth shut about the fact that we have a Giordanos in my town? :D
Yes. :D

We actually had a frozen one shipped up here a while back and while it obviously was not as amazing as eating it fresh... it was still REALLY FREAKING DELICIOUS.
Ugh now I have the biggest craving ever. Must. Go. To. Chicago.

Members online

No members online now.