Something GOOD to get urine smell/residue out of carpet

There's a part of the house that has been cordoned off because Katalin kept p!ssing all over the carpet. Stains are pretty much gone but there's a whole lotta residue/odor left. Nature's Miracle is pricey and not the most effective.

Can anyone recommend something potent, effective, yet non-toxic and safe to use on carpet and thoroughly remove odor and traces of urine?

Nature's Miracle will work for stuff like that, although it's not always very practical for big, old stains because you have to completely SOAK the carpet and let it air dry by itself from that soaked state. Don't blot it or anything. And anywhere from a few days to a week in, it will suddenly smell worse than ever before going away completely a day or two later.

A friend of mine swears by Anti Icky Poo, although I've never used it myself.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I much prefer Simple Solution to Natures Miracle for cleaning and odor control. It also seems less likely to leave "water spotting".

Barb04

Super Moderator
Nature's Miracle works great. My friend found out they make a Nature's Miracle carpet cleaning solution. She used it in her hallway where all the stains were, and they are gone!

Locke

My mom swears by diluted vinegar and water. The vinegar kills the bacteria and it also overpowers the urine smell...but can leave a vinegar smell for a while.

CaliTerp07

We got a bottle of the anti-icky poo from the shelter when we got Lucy. Never needed it for her, but it's worked great on foster messes.

Well, if nature miracle worked, my living room rug wouldn't be outside right now. With that, I DID find something recently that worked fantastic!!! I found it at Lowes and it's called "Home remedy PLUS, pet stain plus odor eliminator", WOW!

Back story, I've been wanting to haul the living room rug out of the house for over a year now and power wash it, my mother didn't seem to want to believe me that it smelled like pee in front of the sofa. Needless to say, she got into a game of ball with Enda and as usually End stuffed her ball under the sofa, my mother bent down to find and, all I know is the next thing I heard was the thud of her rolling up the rug, I WON! Except, the first "treatment" to clean to rug, made it smell worse, the second, didn't remove the new odor either and left it reeking of lavender, the third, talk about salad dressing (wont be playing with Vinegar again), but I was looking around at Lowes for ANYTHING! Well, I know you shouldn't buy based on price, but this stuff looked the best and was the cheapest so I went for it. Yeah, next time I'm in the store I'm buying up the entire display! Does that tell you anything?

Brattina88

HOT vinegar and water solution. Seriously... It's cheap and it WORKS! After switching to more 'natural' cleaners... A lot of the store bought cleaners leave a sticky residue in comparison, even if they do smell "nicer". If you mix he vinegar and water solution right it smells nuetral and not vinegar-y. ;)

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I like to use Woolite Pet Stain and Odor Remover (with Oxygen!). It has worked very well getting rid of stains and odor. You can buy it at Home Depot, and probably walmart.

adojrts

Zero Odor, works amazing. We had someone staying with us over 10 yrs ago with old dogs on steriods. They left huge puddles on my carpet, bad enough that we had to remove the carpet and underlay. I could still smell it after all those years and using various products to get rid of the odor which came back all the time. Finally used Zero Odor and the smell (esp when it is humid out) has gone :)

HOT vinegar and water solution. Seriously... It's cheap and it WORKS! After switching to more 'natural' cleaners... A lot of the store bought cleaners leave a sticky residue in comparison, even if they do smell "nicer". If you mix he vinegar and water solution right it smells nuetral and not vinegar-y. ;)
Nope, it just didn't work at all to remove ANY of that nightmare smell!!! Used it quite liberally, let hose stand in the sun, it just didn't work. That rug's been on our living room floor for about 10 years now, been through Jinjo and all his digestive problems (which are still ongoing), Enda puppy, and now also "The Dachsie who can't be house broken". There are just some things that "natural" can't fix, and I'm a FREAK about using "natural" products only! Which again, is why the living room rug had to be uprooted in the first place, and I think I've decided I actually now don't want it back at all. Hardwood all the way!!! How people do wall-to-wall carpet and pets, I'll never know, :yikes:.

Drempan

Apple of the Eye
In order to get urine smell/residue out of carpet,

it must get applied having an acid treatment for rot the alkaline salt and remains around the carpet. Many cleaning supply or janitorial retailers could take suited tannin, caffeine or pee solution spotters that can get the job done. The substance should then get groomed to the fibres and remained to respond for around 10 mins.

After that, rinse off the spot with hot water and apply using an chemical complex created for pee neutralization remedy. Keep this in the carpet for Fifteen minutes.

The last stage is to wash the carpet completely, using the normal carpet cleaning methods. Deep steam cleaning together with truck-mounted machines are the most preferred process.

Hope it helps!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Neat vinegar glugged onto the carpet removes all odours. Our carpets reeked of pee when we moved in. I tried everything and eventually soaked them in vinegar and its all gone.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We loved Natures Miracle for our problem with Belle. she peed ALL over our living room and the dog sitter just left it sit. I tried everything to get it clean. even rented a carpet cleaner.

The only thing that got rid of the smell was taking a bottle of natures miracle and SATURATING the area right down to the pad. I mean I SOAKED the spots and just let it soak in and let it air dry and voila. no more smell. but just spritzing it won't work if the pad has soaked up the urine... you've gotta soak it completely

Members online

No members online now.