Be careful where you get your dog from

Fran27

When I got Boris, I knew about puppy mills - or I thought so. I knew it was a place that breeds sick dogs. I never realized to what extent it was true.

I really wanted a dog. I was depressed and wanted a dog to help me feeling less alone during the day. All the dogs at the shelter were too bold, and I couldn't find one I really felt attracted to - plus I didn't really have much experience and didn't dare starting with a big dog I knew nothing about and was wild enough to jump at the door in his cage.

So we went to the petstore. I didn't really want to buy a dog there though, having had a problem with a petstore puppy years earlier that was sick, and not really wanting to support puppy mills anyway. And I decided to wait another day to really think about it.

The next day, I was decided, and my husband told me about that place that sells puppies. He warned me that they might have health issues also, but I checked their website and they said they sold quality puppies, there were testimonies of people getting several dogs there and being really happy, so I figured we would have a look to see and look for ourselves.

Boris caught my eye right away. He was the only one in his cage, when the other cages had several puppies of all breeds. He was just so cute. There were other goldens but they were nowhere as cute. We went to see the owner, and he told us that this guy was the best of the place, that they were only two in the litter and that his breeder actually decided to keep his sister to breed because she was so beautiful. So I was happy, if the breeder kept his sister, it meant that they were good quality dogs, right? Plus he came from a breeder, not a puppy mill, so it was ok.

We brought him home. I was happy because he was not sick at all, in fact he was very healthy! But around 5 months, I realize he was walking weirdly. He was moving his butt left and right when walking, and seemed to have some stiffness in his back legs. At 8 months, he started limping occasionally from his front legs. We went to the vet and he told us he might have dysplasia, or it might be pain from growing.

I kept reading that goldens were easy to train, willing to please etc. Boris only seemed interested in food. He was doing great in training class, but when he knew we had no food, he didn't care. He was getting way too excited when we had guests in the house and nothing we could do was calming him down. I started questionning my training - obviously we made mistakes, but mistakes so bad that Boris started having resource guarding issues and growling or snapping? It was worrying. Then we got Tips, and he was so much easier to train, I realized that maybe Boris wasn't quite the typical golden retriever character after all.

So we hired a trainer, and when I told her where Boris came from, she said 'oh, a puppy mill'.

Even after reading Chaz for months, that's when the truth sank in... Boris really came from a puppy mill. I don't know why I was convinced for so long that it was from a breeder, although I guess in the end it's really not that different, when it's a bad breeder.

Now Boris still has health and behavior issues we are trying to fix as we can. He's slowly getting over the growling thing, but sometimes it just seems that whatever we do, it's never enough to get him to drop what he stole, or to come to us when he's happy somewhere. He seems to only want to please you when you have food, and it needs to be good one. It's surprising that he's so good offleash when you think of it. Thanksfully, other than that he's a really good dog, but he's still a pain sometimes.

For his hips, we put him on glucosamine and thanksfully he hasn't limped for months, although his back legs still seem stiff at times. At this point I'm just hoping we won't have to pay to have his hips replaced.

The worst though, is when I think about his sister. She's 21 months now, and probably has got 2 or 3 litters already. She's probably locked in a small pen and bred at every heat to make more puppies to sell. I guess Boris was just lucky to be a male. And I have to live with the guilt of supporting that traffic.

Just wanted to give my experience, hopefully it will encourage some people to really think twice before getting a puppy...

bubbatd

Glad you posted the warning .... how could you resist Boris ...from his puppy picture !! They're such sweet pups !! I'm glad you have him to see him through any " issues ".

CamzKees

Sad

I'm really sorry that things happened the way they did for you. When people mention that they don't buy specifically from a breeder that works and shows their dogs, I get chills up my spine- not only for the owner, but for the poor dog.

I am so thankful that I went about purchasing my puppy the way that I did after reading these horror stories. My breeder both shows her dogs, and has them in obedience and agility.

I know exactly who her parents are, what they look like, and what they act like. (I met her sire at a show).

Even if I wasn't interested in showing, I'd still buy the way I did.

The scary thing about it is that even some show breeders aren't up to snuff- if you don't get a health guarentee, if both parents aren't OFA and CERF certified, if you can't go see specifically the premisis where at least one parent is kept, if you have to pay extra for "papers" DO NOT BUY FROM THAT BREEDER.

Petstores and puppy mills, and fishy online breeders...it's so easy to fall into the trap of buying a puppy from them. Especially since its easy to feel sorry for the pet store puppy, or perhaps that online breeder (when contacted) is so very charasmatic.

I'm sorry for the rant, and I'm sorry you're having to go through both health and behavior problems with your pup. I hope that things work out well for you and him. Hopefully, when he ages he'll calm down.

Goldens typically take years to fully mature, and hopefully with maturity he'll loose some of that bad behavior.

Also, for the hip and joint problems you're having, get him on a chondriotin or glucosimine supplement specifically for bones and joints. They probably won't be able to heal his bad hips, but they'll slow down the wear and tear and help to keep them as healthy as they can be.

Good luck!

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Thanks for sharing. We all make mistakes...I posted on here awhile ago how I bought a mix bred puppy from a petstore and had to put him down a year later because of severe agression. Good luck with him, and don't beat yourself up about it. You're the best home he could have gotten :)

Members online

No members online now.