How many dogs do you prefer to own at a time?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like having 2, it's only frustrating because Lucy is a puppy. I think I could handle 3 or 4, but if I have puppy, I'd like it to be my ONLY dog until it's an adult!

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I like two kinda like how Smkie said so they have each other. When we had the farm we had 5 dogs at once. Its one thing to have that many when some have jobs to do and some belong to certain family members so they do get a good amount of attention from that person.

But I can't imagine having maybe more then 3 (3 being my absolute limit) out on my own or even with my mom.

showpug

I don't know if I have a limit and that is what scares me about myself LOL!

Thankfully we are looking for a bigger house so the dog crates can have their own bedroom because we are soon to have 4 dogs. :eek:

I really do think 5 will be my absolute limit though...

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
smkie said:
two..for a couple reasons..
first off they have each other to communicate with..in ways i cannot
secondly they exercise each other, in ways i could not

if i only had one dog, i would be unable to fill in for what is missing ]

Exactly my reasons for having two right now :). I find that they both want 100% of my attention at the same time!!, so I don't think I can handle three dogs on my lap at once :D. That, plus my dogs love to be hand fed, and I have two hands, so it works out perfectly for us right now :p

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Well..... I would like to have 3 or 4 dogs at one time but my parents would not allow me to have that many!!! Guess I will have to wait till I am older and gone to college, have a job(dog trainer)and a big house with lots of yard space, married(hope to be then!)!

But it will be about 7 or 8 years before I get out of college then get a job and get married!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I'd say my minimum is 2, and my maximum is 6. Right now I have 4 and that seems to be a good number. I can fit all of them in my SUV at the same time (pretty good, considering they're not small dogs!)

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
For right now just one is all I can handle. I'm just gone to often to get another one. When we have kids though my husband really wants to get a golden retriever too. :)

bubbatd

I had 1 from birth until 1964 and then 2 ...3 ---4 -5- 6 ..... then in 1998 back to 2 until my Bubba died . Then it was just Chip and me and now just Ollie and me. I'd love to have 2 ( for his sake ) but financially really need to stay with one..... desides , 2 in my twin bed is 1 too many !

L

LabBreeder

2 is usually enough. Providing they are both old enough to be potty trained and pretty much trained (unfortunately I've only got 1 that fits that description, the other is 5 mo old).
Puppies are always cute, but not necessary to have a "happy" home. If we have them (in a good while) it will be hard not to keep one or two.

Yeah, 2 on average. :)

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Well, I have had from 3-5 dogs for the past 18 years .. *L* .. so I can't imagine having less than three now.

I really like the interaction that they have, and how I can stand back and watch the "pack". With my current five, I have a (almost) 15 year old, one that is ten, one that is nine and one that is eight .. and then the 21 month old pup. With that many older dogs, the pup always has someone to play with (read here: harass unmercifully .. *L*). There is a need in dogs to interact freely with other dogs, I feel. They're able to do that on a daily basis here.

But I think my criteria will always be based on what I can afford (and continue to afford) and how many I can physically keep. I don't think dogs should (overall) live in kennels, and people with kenneled dogs just plain have too many. My dogs are companions first and all live in the house with me. That's a lot of dog, when you consider that two are shepherds and three are chows (roughly 270 pounds of dog, 20 feet to wipe down when it's muddy, 90 nails to trim, etc.). But I'm willing and able to take that on and accept it, and so I do.

Five dogs wouldn't be appropriate for everyone, but I'm already looking for my next addition. With so many older dogs, I know that I won't be at five for a whole lot longer. I hate to think of loosing anyone. Reality is staring me in the face, however ..

I have to admit, if I had the money and the time .. I'd probably build a huge house and have dozens of old dogs living out their final years. I have a special affinity for the old ones, hate to see them in animal shelters because some idiot threw them away when they weren't convenient any more.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Well, as I don't own any dogs . . . ;) You don't seriously think that I own them did you . . . But living with three is more fun than one or even two since the dynamic is so different. You can see one setting the other one up for trouble, then a few minutes later the tables turn, then the two Grrrrls will join forces temporarily while Bimmer looks on horrified, but as soon as he wades in to foil the plot or discipline them, one of them will switch sides and act like she had nothing to do with the nefarious plot the BAD GRRRRL was hatching :rolleyes:

And Charley wants puppies - and he plans on keeping most - if not all - of them :eek:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Right now I have 2. . .The most I've ever had was 4. If it was up to me I'd have as many pound dogs I could afford and keep happy. When I start my own rescue I'll have a big happy household.:D

Members online

No members online now.