Beagle shedding excessively

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
I was curious what the best way/type of brush to use is for a short haired breed like a beagle. In all of my initial research, never did I read that they were excessive shedders. But, maybe with summer approaching and him losing his puppy fur, I am constantly cleaning the couch covers, vacuuming and when I bathe him, the tub is covered in hair. I have been trying not to bathe him too much, say about a month 1/2 or so, because we just can't go any longer. In between, I use wipes to freshen him up, and I have one of those rubber hand held brushes for short hair breeds, but it pretty much does nothing at catching hairs. I am about ready to take some duct tape to him to get the hair off.... (totally joking, i'd never do this to him ;) )

zoe08

Shedding blade!! You can get one in the dog section or cat section @ PetSmart...they are cheaper in the cat section! But I am warning you, you can sit there for hours and keep getting hair out. It is worse now because with summer they are loosing a lot of their coat. But the shedding blade works wonders. Zoe had a big floofy neck around her collar and after a good going over many times with the shedding blade she looks much better and the hair around her collar does not stick up so much.

I'm sorry you didnt get the warning before hand but Beagles shed! lol :)

I also give a couple brewers yeast tablets to her everyday, 1 for every 10 pounds. It has helped her coat a lot and she usually doesnt shed as much except now that summer is coming on it is pretty bad right now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm not sure what type of rubber brush you were using, but I am a HUGE fan of the Zoom Grooms.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I use a shedding blade for Emma. Yes they shed a suprising amount for a small short hair breed.

Zoom said:
I'm not sure what type of rubber brush you were using, but I am a HUGE fan of the Zoom Grooms.

I agree !!! :D I would defiantly recomend Zoom grooms by Kong. They are quite cheap and get the job done really well! Do you take you pup to be bathed at the groomers? I find the blasters work wonders on my Labs coat she sheds SOO much but its really reduces it because it gets right down to the dead coat and blows it away :)

Tugger's Mom

Yes, He's A Beagle
Hey...I appreciate reading this!!! We have had issues with Tugger shedding lately, too....and I just use a wire brush/soft brush combo...but then when we give him a shampoo---the hair that falls off him is incredible. I'm off to buy one of the ones you mentioned to try out.

ALSO....hubby took the dog to the vet last night...and to look for ticks and fleas, they combed the dog down.....with a metal comb with small spaced teeth....I'm getting one of those, too!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
If you figure something out, please let me know.

I have yet to find something that works on Zeus. He has the same short hound coat. I've tried blades, brushes, combs, gloves, and even those Zoom Groom things. Nothing seems to pick it up.

I think I'm going to try the vaccuum cleaner attachments. Seriously. Maybe that would work better.

Pomp

I use a flea comb for regular brushing of my beagles. They love it and it seems to work well.

Pomp

zoe08 said:
Shedding blade!! You can get one in the dog section or cat section @ PetSmart...they are cheaper in the cat section! But I am warning you, you can sit there for hours and keep getting hair out. It is worse now because with summer they are loosing a lot of their coat. But the shedding blade works wonders. Zoe had a big floofy neck around her collar and after a good going over many times with the shedding blade she looks much better and the hair around her collar does not stick up so much.

I'm sorry you didnt get the warning before hand but Beagles shed! lol :)

I also give a couple brewers yeast tablets to her everyday, 1 for every 10 pounds. It has helped her coat a lot and she usually doesnt shed as much except now that summer is coming on it is pretty bad right now.
I just took a look at some shedding blades. Why are they all circular-shaped?

Like I said in my above post, I've been using a small flea brush, but I'm also open to new ideas. One thing I like about the flea brush is that the hair gets caught in the comb and you just take it out. What happens to the hair with the shedding blade? And would you recommend using the shedding blade on a daily basis?

Members online

No members online now.