To Insure or Not to Insure

Doggie07

Well, I've been thinking and looking into getting medical insurance for my puppy or dog. I've been looking at VIP insurance or whatever it's called. I talked to another dog owner in person and they said they do not have Pet insurance on their dogs because they believe it's a waste of money because they'd be paying a monthly and nothing has ever happened. I see their point. What if I got insurance, was paying a monthly note, and nothing EVER happened? But I also see it like this, what if something DOES happen? It's be hard to drop $2,000 and up on surgery or something but if the pup had insurance the insurance would cover it.

So, what do you guys think? Please tell why and if you think a pet owner should get insurance, what kind of insurance? In other words, what should it cover?

MPP

petperson
I've been toying with the pet insurance thing myself. I'd be interested to learn more about it. Wasn't there a thread or a stickie about this somewhere?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I have PetPlan on both younger dogs because the $138/dog I put in each year will cover up to $8000 in medical bills annually - even after 10 years paying $138/yr will only mean $1380 in savings, so one major injury or illness and I've made my investment back.

I only use insurance for accidents/illnesses/injuries and have a pet savings account for routine vet costs and our insurance deductible ($250).

Barb04

Super Moderator
My friend uses VPI, but I have to let you know that there are many different VIP insurances offered on the internet. She had to get this exact one from one of the vet's clients who has had a lot of success with them. My friend has been using it for her puppy for many visits as well as emergency vet visits and got a lot of money back. The reimbursements have already paid her back for what the insurance would cost for the year. Here is a link to the VPI she is using:

Cat, Bird and Dog Insurance Plans for All Pets - VPI - Veterinary Pet Insurance

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Do research VPI - when I was looking at insurance I heard that their payouts were pretty outdated. That means that their reimbursement has not kept track with increasing costs in vet medicine and thus you can't get as much back as you might think you should.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have a feeling it depends on where you live. Here in TN it's cheaper than back up north in CT & NY.

This particular VPI out of California seems to pay my friend a big percentage.

Members online

No members online now.