A bit of Advice needed on grooming schools....

AmySimmons

Hey everybody. I just joined.

I have been online all day looking at grooming schools (online courses and ones to attend). I am not looking to start up my own business just yet, just to take the proper course and be a groomer for a while until I'm ready for the next step. I'm so new to this and I just wanted any opinions or stories or points of view on...

1. Online courses....are they worth it, frowned upon? Has anyone taken and completed them and had success?
2. Grooming schools - tuition fees....being possibly ripped off? The ones I have looked at in my area range from 6 thousand to 36 thousand dollars...I'm not joking.
3. How long the courses you have taken were....I'm seeing 20 weeks to 42 weeks.

At anyone's convenience...anything anyone can tell me would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy L)

corgi_love

I'm not any serious help, as I chose not to do dog grooming just this year and go back to college, however I did find out that a lot of grooming schools are out to make money.

There is no set criteria, so basically grooming schools can teach you anything they feel like, and they can charge whatever they want. Even $6,000 is crazy to spend on a course, but that depends on how long it is. I would NOT spend more than that.

What I would do before anything else is call ALL of the grooming shops around you and in near area's and ask if a certificate of graduation from a grooming school means anything. Especially ask if an online course means anything. I just don't see how an online experience counts as any experience at all.

I think the BEST way to go, and this was suggested to me here, was to ask grooming shops if they are willing to apprentice you. It could save you thousands and you will get complete hands on experience, plus the experience you get will completely count towards getting a job at a groomers shop, because you can say, "I apprenticed with ___ for ThisAmountOfTime." And you can use that as a reference.

I'd honestly skip the school thing and do apprenticeship- it makes a lot more sense and saves you A LOT more money.

I just graduated from a 3 month course and paid $6500
That seemed pretty standard for the schools in my area. I am now working in a salon, although I still have a lot to learn I have been able to groom many different breends to clients satisfaction.

As far as on-line courses go, I looked into them as well, now that I have been to school, I really don't know how you can learn on-line, there are so many tips and tricks you will learn from your teacher that you can't get out of a book. I found a lot of learning grooming is learning angles, sometimes I just couldn't figure out how to hold my shears to cut a certain area and I would ask my teacher, she would show me her method.....it was as simple as that. Myself, I think I would have gotten very frustrated with the online method and am glad I didn't take that route.

I would go somewhere where you get all hands on experience, and find out the course material first.

Hope that helps!

What I would do before anything else is call ALL of the grooming shops around you and in near area's and ask if a certificate of graduation from a grooming school means anything. Especially ask if an online course means anything. I just don't see how an online experience counts as any experience at all.

I think the BEST way to go, and this was suggested to me here, was to ask grooming shops if they are willing to apprentice you. It could save you thousands and you will get complete hands on experience, plus the experience you get will completely count towards getting a job at a groomers shop, because you can say, "I apprenticed with ___ for ThisAmountOfTime." And you can use that as a reference.

I'd honestly skip the school thing and do apprenticeship- it makes a lot more sense and saves you A LOT more money.
I agree. Call shops and ask if they will hire you on or teach you for free how to groom.I was looking in to grooming schools. And then I stumbled upon my shop hiring. so I applied. now I get paid AND hands on experience froma real groomer. I work under her and she teachs me along the way. which is alot better then school, as you dont need any type of certificate to be a groomer. any one could technicaly open a shop. so find a good groomer and learn from them. Heck if they wont, try even a "crappier" place like pets mart or somthing, and work with them, they are not the best, but atleast you will get hands on experience and paid for it.

Hi Amy,

I was in the same situation as you -I couldn't afford the intensive courses which cost thousands, but was wary of learning this practical subject online.

I have found a practical course which is 4-5 months long, one evening per week and was much cheaper (£250), also I work full time so could fit it around my day job. I realise I am in the UK, but maybe see if any of your local colleges run similar evening classes?

I have done an online course in Dog Psychology which was great, but I wouldn't recommend it for grooming, because I have found it invaluable to have the teacher there to ask for advice if I come across a problem or if I am unsure of anything, as every breed is different and its really useful to have an expert on hand, especially if the dog is difficult. I have learned much more from being able to have a go myself rather than watch someone else do it on video - its very different and much harder when you come to do it yourself!

Also maybe you could get a job as a grooming assistant or volunteer in a local salon to gain experience?

Good luck and I hope this helps

Whipple

Apprentice in Training
I know that there are a few shops in Ontario (Probably more than I know of) that are looking for apprentices. This is usually the best way to go. Make sure you have everything in writing, as it can get confusing.

I wouldn't bother with a school. Unless you want to go to the NY School of Dog Grooming. I've always wanted to go.

Members online

No members online now.