"In Shape" for a cat?

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
This may seem like a dumb question, after how long I've owned cats...

What are the visible cues to an "in shape" cat?

I know what to look for in dogs (you can look up my picture threads in Morgan and let me know whether or not I'm doing alright...), but I'm just not sure what to look for in the cats. Especially since they are both so different!

Right now, the Kitty-Boy Brothers are eating Innova (canned) and Eagle Pack Holistic Select (dry). Ticheli gets ~1.5oz canned with ~1/2oz dry twice a day. Whitacre eats ~1oz canned with ~3/8oz dry twice a day. I say that everything is approximate because I try to adjust from day-to-day.

Ticheli is just under 13lbs. You can see some definition to his hips when you look down at him from above. The thing that I wonder about him is that he has a lot of "belly swing"... I've never had a cat without this, but then again, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's "normal".

Whitacre is about 15lbs, and you can't really see any definition on him for anything. I wouldn't say he's "fat" per se (as a kid, my family had one obscenely fat cat, and Whitty is nowhere close... but again, I could be wrong), though he is definitely a lot "denser" than Ticheli. He also has some "belly swing", though it's not quite as obvious as Ticheli's.

So... cat people? Thoughts? I know I should probably just post this on a cat forum, but I honestly have much better luck here. :)

I'm sure the "belly swing" probably has something to do with their food not being grain-free. That is, if it's not supposed to be there. I am trying to slowly transition them to EVO (at least the dry EVO... but canned also if it's not too rich for them), but at the same time I have to hope and pray that I get a better job soon so that I can afford it. LOL!

Or am I doing alright? Or do I need to sign them up for Maxy24's "Kitty Fit Club"? :D

TIA!

Maxy24

All cats, for the most part have the belly flab, male cats tend to have a larger one than females, I call it "man flub". In fact if a cat does not have this fat store he is likely emaciated or too thin (adult cat, kittens usually do not have it yet). Willie has one but it does not swing when he walks, it is not chalk full of fat. Neko's has a decent swing to it, Neko needs to loose a few.

Because of that flab of skin it's really hard to see any tuck up the cat might have to visually, unless the cat is really fat, it's hard to tell if a cat is a healthy weight by sight. Looking over the top of the cat tells more, if his tummy bulges out then that's a problem, where his rib cage ends there should be a waist dipping in.
But probably the best thing to go by, at least on most cats, is whether or not you can feel ribs. Just like in dogs ribs should be felt without having to really push through fat or anything. Rub your fingers up and down the ribs(while the cat is standing) and you should be able to feel the bumps of the ribs to the point where you can tell one rib from the other, they obviously should not be heavily protruding, you'll have to use your own judgment on that.

My bet is most pet cats are at least somewhat overweight, even if it's just a pound or two. A less than ideal diet (ideal being mice and birds) and a sedentary life are to blame.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Maxy, I'm sorry that my response time is slower than dirt. LOL!

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that the Kitty-Boy Brothers are closer to being "in shape" than I thought. I was really worrying that I was doing something wrong.

Whitacre could probably stand to lose a few ounces. I can feel his ribs, but there is definitely some squish there. I can see some definition in his waist when I look down at him from above, though.

Ticheli is much closer. He has obvious definition at his waist, and I can feel his ribs pretty easily without them being visible through the skin.

I should still probably sign them up for Kitty Fit Club, though. :p Any suggestions?

Maxy24

Neko is failing kitty fit club to be honest. I'd need to take him entirely off of dry food I think, for him to loose any weight, his metabolism just will not handle the carbs. All wet is too expensive for us so unless I can get this cat eating raw (Willie eats half raw-it's cheaper than canned) I fear Neko is going to stay a chubby kitty.

Members online

No members online now.