14 week old puppy

It has been so long since I have had a puppy, I can't remember what it is like! So, I have a question. We have the option to get a 14 week old standard poodle puppy. How much different will it be getting an older pup rather than an 8 week old?

~Tucker&Me~

Well, with a puppy you would of course have to pay for all the shots, AND neutering (you may have to with older pup as well though).

Older puppies have longer attention spans, they are more mature and depending on the dog, can come housetrained and with some obedience under their belt.

They are also more flexible with hours that they can be left alone etc.

~Tucker

He won't be neutered but he has his shots. I guess my main concern is trainability. I know that puppies have a "window" in which they are really receptive to training. I want to make sure that we are still within that window.

Herschel

If I were you, I would go for the 14 week. That's still an extremely trainable period and you won't have to deal with taking him out every 30 minutes, etc. House training will be easier, teaching bite inhibition will be easier, and like you said--he already has all of his shots.

By the way, I hope you're going with a reputable breeder. We can help you find one or tell you if yours is responsible.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Dante was "old" when I brought him home :) 4 1/2 months.
(Good Lord I forget sometimes how cute he was!)
Bonded with me quickly, very very trainable and didn't have to go out as often :D
It was perfect!

Members online

No members online now.