puppy pads for potty training

acee

Ace my now 1yr old toy fox terrier has always used his puppy pads for all his business. When I got him I tried newspaper and taking him out frequently, but none of that worked. I started using puppy pads and I haven't had any trouble with him since! If it's not his pad he won't go-literally! He'll hold it in or look at you like "where's my pad mom?" It's kinda funny. Ace will only pee outside but will not poop. I guess he thinks his poop is too good for the outside !!! haha :) Anyway I guess the scent or something in the pad lets them know to use that instead of the carpet.

SammiesDad

So do you plan on using pads forever? Or will you try to ween him off of them sometime in the future?

acee

I take him outside but he'd rather play than use the bathroom. He'll come right in and use his pad. I think he's only peeing outside to mark his territory..
They're not expensive and they're absorbent so I'll play it by ear.

gracelund

Just a thought but as he associates the pad with potty take it out into the garden to an area you want him to use, once he is happy about the new arrangement try making the pad smaller and smaller till he no longer requires it

acee

I've put his pad outside before and he'd still rather play. I'll try the smaller pad idea, thanks!

What do you do when he wants to play though? Do you play with him? There should be NO play time allowed until he goes potty outside. When he finally does, make a HUGE deal out of it. Praise like crazy!

But if the pads are working for you than that's great. I know of someone who litter trained two of her dogs. Maybe you could look into that? Or place the potty pads into some sort of litter box.

acee

That's a good idea as well, thanks. When it's playtime I tell him we're going out to walk or play or potty.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
both of mine are box trained, i put the puppy pad in a large litter box (we tried litters both cat and the "dog" litter but neither of mine liked to walk on the dog litter and the cat litter stuck to their feet, the pad in the box gives a defined area where they can go and is easily changed...
if you have no problem with the pad being his primary potty this might be a good direction to take it...you wont have pads just laying around your house like with the lose pads but dont have to worry about confusing him in the change.

Members online

No members online now.