WWYD - Neighbor's Kids

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
The neighbors have 3 grandsons that are probably like 8-13 years old. I have no idea, honestly.

Just a minute ago, I noticed in my periphery a human scurrying around in my backyard. For a quick second, I thought it was my SO, but then realized he was in the bedroom watching TV. I walked out, and it was one of the kids. He and his brothers had hit like 3 baseballs into our yard, and that little turd climbed my rickety old fence to get them.

He was making a run for it, but I stopped him dead in his tracks and asked him very nicely not to climb my fence again. He started moving again, and I asked had he not heard me; he said yes and continued on his journey back over the fence. I then asked him if his grandparents were home, and the grandmother pipes up and goes, "I told him not to hit them over your fence."

Yes, well. The grandfather has told them that before too, and clearly they don't listen. I told the grandmother that if they hit the balls over the fence, just send them to my front door and I'm happy to go retrieve the balls for them, and reiterated that my fence was not made for children to climb, and oh by the way I have five dogs. She said okay and I went back inside.

This isn't the first time they've jumped the fence, and I know my SO has talked to them about it before (them being the kids & the grandparents). Clearly, talking isn't doing anything, so what I do I do to prevent this in the future? We are saving for a new privacy fence, but it's going to take a while to save the money to fence in an acre.

Xandra

My guess is the kids are intimidated by you. I'd try and befriend them a little so they don't feel awkward coming to your front door. I think you should explain directly to the kids in as chill a way as you can that you don't mind getting the balls for them, but you don't like people in your yard because of the dogs, etc.

Also, if you have any guardy dogs, might be an idea to introduce them to the kids so there's less of a chance of a problem if the kids are naughty and climb the fence while the dogs are out.

Also, motion sprinklers? If you set them high enough you should be able to target only humans right near the fence line.

Lyzelle

.....Maybe I'm just a tad harsh, but a bit of hottape run along the top wouldn't maim them for life. And bonus points for keeping out critters or anything else that would climb over your fence.

Just let the grandparents know that you are doing it so there's due warning.

Otherwise, if there's ever a time you're outside and a ball comes over, just throw it back or ask them to come around to the door and you'll meet them there. Give them a glass of lemonade or something and ask them to take it easy in the heat.

Xandra

.....Maybe I'm just a tad harsh, but a bit of hottape run along the top wouldn't maim them for life. And bonus points for keeping out critters or anything else that would climb over your fence.

Otherwise, if there's ever a time you're outside and a ball comes over, just throw it back or ask them to come around to the door and you'll meet them there. Give them a glass of lemonade or something and ask them to take it easy in the heat.
:rofl1::lol-sign: ahhahahahhhaaa

(it would be funnier if you didn't tell them first but I suppose telling them is the humane way to go about it...)

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
The kids came to my door previously when StiXxX escaped the yard. I was very thankful and kind to them, obviously.

I'm very fortunate that none of my dogs are guardy, per se, but I have two Rottweilers that are large enough to hurt a kid just by knocking them off balance. I also have a geriatric chow that is deaf, going blind and startles easily. StiXxX can be a jerk sometimes and will lash out if he feels threatened. Zellie is the happiest dog ever, but is still large enough to knock a kid over.

I guess my biggest issue is that these kids are trespassing, and by the grandparents ignoring verbal requests for them to stop, they are condoning it. We have offered them another option to retrieve their balls, and they are ignoring that as well.

This is what I was thinking as well. I personally wouldn't tell anyone jack, because its YOUR property, but maybe I'm a little cruel :p

CaliTerp07

Seriously. Or chicken wire, or spiky things, or anything as a visual deterrent.

You've asked nicely, you've talked to those in charge...not sure what else you can do. Your concerns are legitimate.

Are the kids' parents ever around? Can you cut them off sometime when they are picking up munchkins from G&G's, and explain the situation to them? Parents might be more likely to discipline than grandparents.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I vote for the hot tape too, and DONT tell them. Stay the F out of my yard!

joce

The hot tape I use for most of the back yard works well on kids.

Actuall felt horrible when I did see one girl run up to the fence and full out grab it. Horses knew what was gonna happen and they ran lol!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
honestly I vote hot tape too. I seriously love kids, but would NOT be ok with them coming into my yard. If they still kept doing so then dang straight I'm going to put hot tape around the top of my fence... but then I have a dog that is NOT super kid friendly and if he happened to be in the yard when a kid came over the fence I would be worried about that outcome... would much rather have that added deterrent of hot tape to keep kids out of my yard.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Seriously. Or chicken wire, or spiky things, or anything as a visual deterrent.

You've asked nicely, you've talked to those in charge...not sure what else you can do. Your concerns are legitimate.
Agreed. I would feel kinda bad but you definitely have legit concerns.

around here, using electric stuff for anything other than livestock is a no-no. You'll be in trouble if anyone comes in contact with it, so check your local ordinances.

I'd just go over again with a bunch of new baseballs, whatever kind they are using and be as nice as pie. Tell them these are to replace any they hit over the fence and can't retrieve when you're not home so they can keep playing.

And when you get home tell them to just please come over and tell you they hit a bunch of balls in the back yard and you'll gladly get them for them.

You just don't want there to be any incidents with the kids or any dogs. NOt that you'd expect any, but kids and strange animals don't always mix. Let them know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass (even though they're being pretty disrespectful) you just want to avoid accidents.

noludoru

Bored Now.

Both of these. I think the barbed wire would work best because everyone knows what it is and they wont even try to get past it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Maybe it's just me or just where I live, but I completely can not imagine anyone having barbed wire on their fence... especially with the purpose of keeping out children. o_O

Seriously other than talking I don't know what else could/should be done.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I have an 8 wire electric fence for the sole purpose of keeping people out my yard. Touch it and it will knock you out. Its my yard, don't come in.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I have an 8 wire electric fence for the sole purpose of keeping people out my yard. Touch it and it will knock you out. Its my yard, don't come in.
Unfortunately, in the US, that's a great way to get sued.

As for the original problem, I like the idea of befriending them with some new baseballs. Somewhat of a "grand gesture" to show that you are sincere that they shouldn't be climbing your fence.

Also, why do I keep picturing the movie "The Sandlot" in my head? Especially when after they go through all of the crap to get the ball, they finally knock on the door and the old man says, "Why didn't you just knock on the door? I'd have gotten if for you." :rofl1:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Would you be at risk of getting sued if the wire was there "for animals" though?

I mean, you could go warn them it's there so they can't claim booby trap. Just say something like, "Stray cats are spraying and crapping in my yard so I put up some hot tape to keep them out. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I know the kids sometimes climb over to get their baseballs. Here's some extras in case they hit them into my yard when I'm not home and can't get them back for you."

Or use the excuse that one of the dogs started climbing the fence, so you put hot tape up to discourage him before he learns to climb over.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Maybe it's just me or just where I live, but I completely can not imagine anyone having barbed wire on their fence... especially with the purpose of keeping out children. o_O

It's semi-common around here to keep trespassers out. You see it a lot across the top of chain link - because chain link is easy enough to climb, but once you hit the top and put your hand down over barbed wire...

I've never heard of anybody having an electric fence except out in the country though, and it's supposedly to keep the livestock in rather than trespassers out.

Thank you

I am honestly very saddened by some of the posts here...just disturbing.

AND this is coming from someone who has lots of neighbor children who I DO have to watch and make sure they know not to come into the yard etc because one of my dogs is guardy and anxious around children.

RTH had awesome advice on how to handle it.

I dont know, I grew up in an actual NEIGHBORHOOD...which means being neighborly. We jumped fences all the time to retrieve things or just to shortcut. If anyone had asked us to stop, sure we wouldve. But as long as we werent hurting anything who freaking cares?

(Again, dogs bring a WHOLE different level and I totally understand that angle, I have the same issue. But just because its "MINE" to me is a silly and rude position...again, as long as its for something like ball retrieval etc)

Members online

No members online now.