Preventing Muscle Soreness/stiffness

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Obviously stretch, which was my problem on Friday for my fitness evaluation... I didn't stretch enough as I felt like vomiting from drinking too much water during activities so I just laid down until I didn't feel sick anymore. So my muscles were pretty sore, though its almost gone today. I hot tubbed a bit and did some yoga which was nice.

So I'll be doing work outs (push ups, weights, chin ups, squats, etc.) MWF and cardio (treadmill) TThSa with only Sundays off, about an hourlong for each.

Anything special anyone does? I'm thinking of doing some gentle yoga after class as kind of a cool down.

They are showing us a bunch of stuff on Wednesday (our regeneration and flexibility sessions are every Wednesday for this month) but I'd like to do something in the meantime.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Really the only thing you can do for muscle soreness is warm up, stretch, workout, cool down and stretch. Consistently workout and improve your endurance and fitness levels. When you are out of shape and then exerçise it's going to hurt. Heck when you are in shape and you really workout it's going to hurt.

Stretch :) and even if your muscles are sore workout anyway and just modify your moves if you can't do them full out.

Pops2

Obviously stretch, which was my problem on Friday for my fitness evaluation... I didn't stretch enough as I felt like vomiting from drinking too much water during activities so I just laid down until I didn't feel sick anymore. So my muscles were pretty sore, though its almost gone today. I hot tubbed a bit and did some yoga which was nice.

So I'll be doing work outs (push ups, weights, chin ups, squats, etc.) MWF and cardio (treadmill) TThSa with only Sundays off, about an hourlong for each.

Anything special anyone does? I'm thinking of doing some gentle yoga after class as kind of a cool down.

They are showing us a bunch of stuff on Wednesday (our regeneration and flexibility sessions are every Wednesday for this month) but I'd like to in the meantime.
Big dose of vitamin c, an anti inflamitory like ibuprofen & a hot shower right after your work out.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Big dose of vitamin c, an anti inflamitory like ibuprofen & a hot shower right after your work out.
Ah, now i understand why they have us prescribed to take big doses of vitamin C right after our workouts haha ;)

I was hoping you'd reply so thanks :)

I really like this place. I don't like all those "gimmicky" (for lack of a better term) classes that try to mask working out. This is an olympic weightlifting gym's "transformations" class and it's all back to the good old fashioned basics. Simple stuff that works ya know? Anyway, I'm excited to do these next 3 months and hopefully another 3 after that of this program (and a little scared as while I was a competitive athlete for many many years, i took the "retirement" from ita little too seriously haha!)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Really the only thing you can do for muscle soreness is warm up, stretch, workout, cool down and stretch. Consistently workout and improve your endurance and fitness levels. When you are out of shape and then exerçise it's going to hurt. Heck when you are in shape and you really workout it's going to hurt.

Stretch :) and even if your muscles are sore workout anyway and just modify your moves if you can't do them full out.
Yeah, that's the plan. I was felt sick and was silly and didn't do what i know i should and i paid for it (why is my house all stairs ugh!).

Pops2

Ah, now i understand why they have us prescribed to take big doses of vitamin C right after our workouts haha ;)

I was hoping you'd reply so thanks :)

I really like this place. I don't like all those "gimmicky" (for lack of a better term) classes that try to mask working out. This is an olympic weightlifting gym's "transformations" class and it's all back to the good old fashioned basics. Simple stuff that works ya know? Anyway, I'm excited to do these next 3 months and hopefully another 3 after that of this program (and a little scared as while I was a competitive athlete for many many years, i took the "retirement" from ita little too seriously haha!)
When you're a Marine in your late 30s & early 40s trying to keep up with 18-24 year olds, well you just have to learn & try as many recovery short cuts as you can. Another trick I used back when I drank was to down a nearly frozen beer while I took the hottest shower I could stand. It made the tired & sore muscles relax into a jello like state. Followed by plenty of water & I was ready to go to the clubs & chase girls all night.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah, that's the plan. I was felt sick and was silly and didn't do what i know i should and i paid for it (why is my house all stairs ugh!).
Ugh... Stairs= torture devices. If you ever wonder how sore you really are... Take the stairs lol

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Drinking water before and after worked better for me than drinking during. I'm with you, drinking during just makes me feel sloshy and like puking. Wheneveg I get home from working out I do a hot shower followed by about 15 minutes of yoga/stretching and at least 16 oz of water before bed (I usually work out at 10pm)

I've always had a problem with the muscles over my shins being crazy sore after jogging, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to stretch them so they aren't vengeful the next couple of days.

I've always had a problem with the muscles over my shins being crazy sore after jogging, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to stretch them so they aren't vengeful the next couple of days.
Place your feet about a foot apart, keep your whole foot flat and squat down. Stay in that position and lean torward and backward and side to side, slowly. Don't bounce or rock really fast. You'll feel a good stretch to the muscle in front of your shin as well as pretty much your whole lower leg.

I have to use a stationary object to support me when I do this. I read somewhere that children and lots of tribal folks use this squatting stance quite frequently, but if you don't practice it often the muscles stiffen and its hard to do. Basically, most adults have a hard time doing it at first.

Also, one other thing I did when I had shin splints was to take a 25lb plate at the gym, sit down on a bench, then place the weight on my toe and stabilize it with my hand, then raise my toe up off the floor repeatedly about 10 times. 3 sets on each foot will strengthen your shin muscle (for lack of a better word) Obviously, if that's too hard use a smaller plate and work your way up. Wear shoes while doing it ;)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Feeling much better today. Stretched and took a nice hot shower after workout and did some yoga after shower. My muscles feel fatigued but not painful to the extent I can't move naturally, which is how I like it. ESD (cardio) starts tomorrow!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I didn't read through all the replies, but cooling down is really the only thing you can do. My physics teacher, who does track and field, said that muscle soreness is caused by the lactic acid build up in your legs/arms/etc. So after running, or even power walking, make sure to keep moving for a little while to cool down and get rid of the lactic acid. I'm assuming the same goes for arms too, but I had no idea about the lactic acid before he explained it to us.

RBark

Got Floof?
I do some yoga stretching on the really bad days. I used to do yoga regularly for nearly a year, and I still find it pretty handy now.

Some iboprofen helps a lot, as well. I also like to lay down flat on my back on the concrete outside. It's cold and feels nice.

A hot shower always helps, I make sure to do the stretching after the hot shower.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Feeling much better today. Stretched and took a nice hot shower after workout and did some yoga after shower. My muscles feel fatigued but not painful to the extent I can't move naturally, which is how I like it. ESD (cardio) starts tomorrow!
Good luck! I am horrid at cardio lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
Place your feet about a foot apart, keep your whole foot flat and squat down. Stay in that position and lean torward and backward and side to side, slowly. Don't bounce or rock really fast. You'll feel a good stretch to the muscle in front of your shin as well as pretty much your whole lower leg.

I have to use a stationary object to support me when I do this. I read somewhere that children and lots of tribal folks use this squatting stance quite frequently, but if you don't practice it often the muscles stiffen and its hard to do. Basically, most adults have a hard time doing it at first.

Also, one other thing I did when I had shin splints was to take a 25lb plate at the gym, sit down on a bench, then place the weight on my toe and stabilize it with my hand, then raise my toe up off the floor repeatedly about 10 times. 3 sets on each foot will strengthen your shin muscle (for lack of a better word) Obviously, if that's too hard use a smaller plate and work your way up. Wear shoes while doing it ;)
It's really good to get in the practice of doing anyway. People can definitely habituate their bodies to it regardless of lineage. Several of my Anglo friends saw me doing it while weeding the garden and thought it looked really handy. It took them a few months of stretching and strengthening muscles, but now they do it as easy as anything. Saves your knees for sure!

Also handy to be able to "kneel" and keep your clothes dry when the ground is wet.

For after exercise burn, I always love massage. Either pro, or trade with a buddy. My sister and I like going for runs together and will swap working on each other's backs the next day. Those percussion massager things can work pretty well too.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I like being sore ... It means I'm making progress & building muscle (so I have been taught) there is an old proverb (I think it's one the martial arts teachers like to use) that says "pain is just weakness leaving the body" I believe that.

Pops2

I like being sore ... It means I'm making progress & building muscle (so I have been taught) there is an old proverb (I think it's one the martial arts teachers like to use) that says "pain is just weakness leaving the body" I believe that.
That proverb is commonly found on Marine Corps t-shirts. It's on my favorite running shirt along with the EGA.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I'm okay with some pain. Like there's sore and then there's excruciating muscle screaming where I can't make it up the stairs in my house. The latter is not good. I expect soreness and fatigue but outright not being able to move means I'm doing something wrong.

I recovered well after Monday and Tuesday sessions, today is our flexibility session.

RBark

Got Floof?
I have a weightlifting routine called AllPro Beginners Lifting, and I've been in a constant state of soreness since I begun it. It's basically centered around compound lifting exercises like the deadlift and squats. I have pain in muscles I never new existed.

So I've been doing a lot of stretching, lots of pain meds, etc. Even though I only actually lift 3 days a week. It is super cliche, but the saying "no pain, no gain" is true. So I'm just dealing with it and keep on trying.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Maybe that's why I was never sore? Because here at our place from the house gate to the front property gate is half a mile ... So when I be Done running I have to walk back, so maybe that "cool down" is why I never got sore.

Members online

No members online now.