Aussie people!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Random question. I live in ranch country, and I saw an ad today for Aussie pups from working parents. The ad said there were two colors of pups, "reds" and "blacks." When I think of Aussies, I always think of merle. Do they really come in red and/or black? Or is the ad referring to some kinda merle color?

Clarify or elaborate, please? I'm very curious.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
They can, but its usually either red or.black bi or tri color. Solid blacks I think are a bit harder to find in border collies than Aussies, but I've seen it. I don't think I've ever seen a solid red, but I wouldn't see why it couldn't happen. I see most Aussies in black tri or blue Merle personally, but I've seen red tris as well.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Here are some aussie coat colors :)

So as far as the puppy ads

here is red

red merle

black tri

and also totally black/black bi are possible

^^^That is a really nice chart!
But the deal is, if you haven't seen the Westminster collie thread yet, you can't have a just merle breed. That is why the "Harliquin Pincher" of old is extinct, it can't breed true, you get mutant freaks by genetics. Merle is a modifying gene, so with Aussies you have every "base" color (in this case, Black, and Brown/red), then every variation with the Merle gene (in breeds with "sable" red, you also get sable merle, like our Dachsie Noods).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also even though Aussies can come in gold (ee), it's DQ'd.

Also BCs come in sable, Aussies aren't supposed to. BCs also come in blue and brindle and Aussie's aren't supposed to either.

Here's a solid black and tan Aussie I know:

aussie by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Oooh. Those solids are pretty. I never knew Aussies came that way. Thanks for the clarification, all.

Members online

No members online now.