Urinary incontinence in male dogs?

Saeleofu

Sooooo this morning at around 5am I woke up to the sound of trickling water...right next to me! Gavroche was completely asleep and peeing the bed :wall:

I've suspected he's been doing this occasionally for the last couple months, but never caught him in the act. Also it's usually been on days I sleep late, which means he might have been 12-14 hours without going outside. Well, he went outside and peed after 11pm last night, and was peeing the bed at 5 this morning. That's not even 6 hours!

I think he may have had some small accidents in his crate, too. It smells fainly of pee once in a while, but I never found any spots.

Took him to work with me this morning and had a UA done, and everything was perfect, except his specific gravity was a little low. So we're going to check that a few times in the next couple weeks and see if it stays low, to try to rule out diabetes insipidus. He has been drinking more lately - seems like it started a few months ago when he was on a round of Benadryl. It got better when he stopped the benedryl, but come to think of it he has never returned to "normal" levels after that. He does no have diabetes mellitus, thankfully! I check his glucose a few weeks ago and it was around 70 an hour or two after he ate, which I found kind of odd (I expected it to be at least a little higher).

He's due for bloodwork (mini panel and T4) on Monday, so we're going to recheck a urine specific gravity then. We didn't do an xray because there's no blood or protein or anything in his urine to indicate he might have stones. Our ultrasound is out for repairs right now, but should be back tomorrow. So Monday we'll stick the probe on him and take a look to make sure there aren't any stones.

Anyone have experience with anything like this in a male dog?

elegy

overdogged
Mushroom has it intermittently. He was on Proin for awhile years ago because we couldn't find any cause for it- UA and culture from cysto were clean, bladder xray was normal (he's dysplastic in one hip though), bloodwork was fine. Proin stopped the leakage and I weaned him off it after a few months. Every once in awhile he'll leak- he did the other night, actually- but it's so sporadic that I haven't done anything about it.

Saeleofu

If it was just a little leaking I wouldn't be too terribly worried. But it was almost full-out peeing, like, several ounces.

I wasn't sure proin would work in males, so it's good to know that if all else fails we can at least try it!

Right now I'm just thrilled that odds are he doesn't have stones. I was even trying to think on the way to work how to manage a home-cooked diet for it, because there is NO way he's going to eat Hills or any of that crap. Hopefully that won't even be a concern! If it's diabetes insipidus at least it sounds fairly easy to treat/manage. We have one dog we've seen with it at the clinic and she gets desmopressin eye drops.

elegy

overdogged
If it was just a little leaking I wouldn't be too terribly worried. But it was almost full-out peeing, like, several ounces.
Yeah, that's how he was. He'd get off the couch and there was a huge puddle.

(Luce takes Proin for leaking as well, and she'd make big puddles too. She still occasionally leaks even with the Proin, which is frustrating.)

The other thing we tried was the herb Black Cohosh but I don't remember dosages, so you'd have to look into it. It didn't help with him, but if you want to avoid Proin, it might be worth investigating.

Saeleofu

We sent off a culture since his specific gravity hovered around 1.020 which is pretty low, and his kidney enzymes were higher than he liked for a young dog (still in the normal range, but BUN was 26 and Creatinine was 1.8...was also 1.8 6 months ago).

Turns out he has a UTI that we couldn't pick up on an in-house UA. Still waiting for culture/sensitivity results to see what's growing and what will kill it. Now the question is does he leak because he has a UTI, or does he have a UTI because he leaks?

Saeleofu

Well apparently Idexx fails at growing bacteria. They saw a lot on the UA along with WBCs, but didn't grow anything. So he's on cephalexin for a couple weeks now and go from there.

elegy

overdogged
You know, I feel like half the time the cultures we send out don't grow anything even if we're seeing bacteria on the slide. I hope the antibiotics is all it takes!

Mach1girl

My Chocy will pee the bed every time he sleeps a full night in it. Will not pee the couch, his pen, the floor, but will the bed?!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Poor Gavroche! I hope that the course of antibiotics makes him feel better (and keeps you from having to do a 5am bedsheet change- I HATE nights like that!) :)

dogsion

I used to have a lab that did this...though, I'm admittedly not sure whether he wet the bed, or just peed before anyone woke up.

Members online

No members online now.