1 year old dog wont play

We recently got a one year old Havanese from a breeder; formerly he was a show dog and lived primarily in a barn/kennel. He so far has no interest in interacting with our six year old son and doesnt want to or know how to play in any of the typical ways with anyone in the household: fetch, tug of war, etc. He's been with us 5 days. Otherwise he is friendly and easygoing, albeit a bit skittish about unfamiliar things -- which seem to be a lot of things inside the house. We want to know if he will learn over time how to play or if this is something he should have learned earlier in life and may not get into now (regardless of what we try with him). Any advice or opinions?

Saje

Island dweller
I think that he will learn. Especially if you socialize him with other dogs. It's been my experience with all my animals that they need at least a month to start to truly settle in.

He also probably doesn't consider you to be his "pack" quite yet. Give him lots of time and once you get to know each other I'm sure you'll see what kinds of things excite him and peak his interest.

Hope that helps

Saje

Poor little guy! Saje's right. Give him some time and space to explore his new life. Leave interesting toys around his bed; a stuffed Kong toy might help him get started, maybe on Orbee bone for gnawing. The little guy's been raised to behave a certain way to be as sedate as possible to make it easier to show him; he's never really had the chance to just be a dog and it's going to have to sink in gradually.

Debi

AAWWWW, sounded like the poor pup didn't have a chance to have much fun. Since he's only 1 yr. old...he still has plenty of pup in him. I bet you'll be surprised how he will change after you continue to love and play with him! It would take a little time to get used to the new life. I think you'll be telling us how spoiled he is in no time! lol I also think he is very lucky to have found a good family like yours. Once he really bonds to your son, they will be such good pals for life. :D

Awww...poor baby. I can't believe someone would make a poor dog have to live like that. He'll come around...and...then he'll be such a happy dog with his new family!! :D

avenlee

Take him to a park or open field and toss a tennis ball! He's got to feel like a dog and welcomed in the family and all that goes with it. Five days seems too early to be overly concerned. Just give that puppy love and interaction and I'm sure he'll come around.

Members online

No members online now.