crested or poodle

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ok folks, im currently researching my next breed, chis will always be the love of my life, but id like soemthing a little different.

ive been looking into chinese cresteds and toy poodles.

firstly of course im looking for a small breed preferably under 10lbs so the chis wont be overwhelmed with size and for eas of transport and living situation.

im looking for a breed that, assuming is well socilized from day one is good with strangers/other people and dogs.
this dog will be my store "mascot" and would be comming into the shop every day with me so meeting new people and other dogs would be part of daily life.
and ill be honest and say im looking for a dog that will put up with me putting cute pet jewelry and little outfits on. my family owns a pet boutique so my next girl will be a model for our newest items.

i like cresteds for their personality and the fact that they are very unique, but to be honest they have a face only mothers could love as they get older...if going this route id probably go with a powderpuff and trim the coat into a hairless cresteds cut then let it grow out as she gets older.

i like poodles again great personality and theya re gorgeous.
id probably do a white female and keep in a simple but "girly" cut.

id like to possibly show, and i want to be able to possibly persue cgc for therapy work.

grooming: is no problem, im currently looking into training to become a groomer so have no problem spending the extra time grooming either of these breeds (it would be good practice)
excersize: i have a securly fenced 1/4 acre for free playtime and running before and after "work", but most of the day would be spent indoors in the shop.
training: id prefer an easier to train breed, i love my chis but they can be difficult to house break and lets face it, there more cat like making you earn the responces lol. id like a dog whos willing and eager to please and even show off :)

so opinions folks...should i go for a powderpuff crested or a toy poodle?!

please note this wouldnt be for a while but i like to get started on the research early.

~Tucker&Me~

I would say poodle, though I don't know a whole lot about cresteds.

Poodles are very eager to please, quick learners. Good with people and other dogs as well.

~Tucker

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
From what I have seen of crested, they are clever little dogs indeed...

I really like them, and I think you will love watching the little sweety age ;)

I know I would!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I think if you're looking for a good model, no dog looks better in clothes than a Crested. :D I find Cresteds to be a bit less excitable than Poodles but both are terrific breeds. Tough choice!

Hands down, a Crested. I definitely suggest getting a powder puff and shaving it to look like a hairless if that's the look you want, since the hairless can have some skin problems.

My friend has 3 Powder Puffs and they're awesome little beasts!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i keep looking at both and keep comming back to the cresteds...
i guess i just have to be patient, whatevers right for me iwll fall into my lap, they always have a tendency to.

theres 2 4month old female cresteds available being placed by an old frined of mine so you never know, one might end up comming home sooner than expected lol.

i keep looking at both and keep comming back to the cresteds...
i guess i just have to be patient, whatevers right for me iwll fall into my lap, they always have a tendency to.

theres 2 4month old female cresteds available being placed by an old frined of mine so you never know, one might end up comming home sooner than expected lol.
My friend has a GORGEOUS 2 or 3 year old female that may be looking for a home (she was an owner surrender, they haven't decided if they're keeping her or not). She is a powder puff, white, with black erect ears. She's BEAUTIFUL. And she loves wearing clothing. LOL!

Just, you know, in case you decide you want an adult ;)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well to my suprise it looks like i may be getting 2 4month old female puffs.
these 2 are littermates are already leash and are supposedly housebroken. my frined in indianna pulled them from a high kill shelter (they both have slight underbites and their so called "breeder" dumped them because "cresteds are hard enough to sell, if they have faults i get stuck with them" so she left them there. my friend pulled them and our casual conversation about cresteds led to the inevitable. she cant keep them simply because there moving back to the uk and not willing to put them through 6 months of quarrentei and dont have time to do the pet passport program. im thinking ill take both and then try and rehome one of them, worst comes to worst i keep both, but its worth a try.
Both girls are fairly small, estimations are putting the smallest in the 5-7lbs range and the bigger of them in the 6-10lb range, making them a nice size for joining the "pack"

now my biggest question is how are cresteds with other dogs from those with experience?

now my biggest question is how are cresteds with other dogs from those with experience?
From my experience, no prob.

Lisa has a Standard Poodle in addition to her Cresteds and they get along fine. I go over with Wally (Greyhound) and Teeny(Alapaha Bulldog pup) and we haven't had much in the way of problems. Only one of the Cresteds will play with Teeny, but the rest are okay with her being there. All of hers are rescues that she got as adults so they each have some issues, one is nervous around dogs she doesn't know, but shows no aggression issues. Her male comes to the daycare where we work and plays with other small dogs, but prefers to play with Teeny!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
awsome. these 2 were aparently great with the other dogs in the shelter so fingers crossed. both are real cute, but aparently there both kinda tangled so might need body shaving whether i wanted to or not. we'll see what happens.

i think these 2 are both real cute though.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
so this time tomorrow it looks like ill have 2 little powderpuff girls running round my home.
im going to see what happens, in this case this seems like the best solution and if things dont work out, i stand a better chance of rehoming them than a high kill shelter does so fingers crossed for a safe trip for the girls and that they settle in quick!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Lucky! Multiple dogs in the time I've waited for my one, lmao. Lots of pics to share please!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
lol, not sure if lucky is the word, i honestly wanst realy looking to get a pup yet, my apartment is still about 2-4eeks from completion and its the start of renfaire season, i was planning on mabe for my b-day in dec. butlike with everything else, these 2 girls seem to have fallen in my lap for whatever reason, mabe they are meant to be with me forever, mabe im just the halfway house to somewhere better...

ill admit im a little worried at this point, these girls are a lil older at 4months and the smallest is a little more timid, i just hope its not too late to properly socilize and get them on the right path.
i was hoping to get a young pup (10-12 weeks) and start from scratch, but hey, vixie and dodger were both 5-6months when they came into my life and there ok other than their typical chi nerosis lol.

dont worry though, i promise, LOTS of pictures!

bubbatd

:hail: you for taking either breed in !!! I'm not fond of any breed that small , and I'm sure that there are many who wouldn't consider any Retriever size .!! Glad Chaz covers all sizes !!

I think you've made a good choice. I love cresteds, and if I could see myself having a tiny dog, they'd be up their on my list of choices.

One of my pet sitting clients had a few along with her Briards, and let me tell you, as dominant as those dogs were, the cresteds really gave them a run for their money. They know NO fear, but they also didn't antagonize the bigger dogs either...which is probably why I liked them.

Good luck with them, I think you'll be hooked.

Members online

No members online now.