Best Dog for Shows/Breeding?

Many more of us have working dogs and companion dogs than show dogs. Very few of us are terribly concerned with the show ring at all, and some of us will do our utmost to keep our breeds from being subsumed into the AKC or other mainstream show associations.

Owning a show dog and handling a show dog are not necessarily tied together, either. You'll notice that it is a rarity for the owner of a top show dog to actually be handling the dog once it begins to make its way toward the top ranks. If you do want to show your dog, the most important part of choosing a breed is to choose a breed that you love and enjoy and want to live with - and can handle on a daily basis, as the best show dogs are also typically family dogs and are loved companions.

moe

It dosnt really matter what the breed is, if the dog(any breed) is of excellent conformation, has excellent movement, has excellent temperment then it will win, if wire fox's have won more often that because those particular dogs excelled in the areas mentioned, you may get a wire fox, that has non of these attributes, and be a loser in the showring, so you need to look what breed suits you, then do your research into that breed get to know exactly what is expected from that breed, and hunt down a breeder that consistantly breeds quality dogs, then see if they will sell to you, but you must also remember that if it is not successful in the ring you are still left with a loving living breathing creature thats whole life is dependant on you to provide for, would you still be interested then.

MO

bubbatd

My dogs were of show quality and Bushwacker was taken to a National Golden Retriever show by his sire's owner( who was a breeder and did show his dogs) and won first in puppy group. We were proud of our boy, but showing would have meant no running through the woods and being real member of our family. I did do Obedience Classes, since the "Puff and Fluff" classes ( Confirmation)weren't up our alley . To do well there, you have to trim etc to the Judge's liking at the time. Today they trim off the end of golden's tails (blunt) trim hocks and chests etc. which I don't like. My dogs live in the coats the good Lord gave them. Please, go to a show and walk through the owner's grooming area. As stated before, talk to owners. Also, as stated, most show dogs are not handled by their owners.....that's an art of it's own to really show off a dog. Add that to the entry costs, grooming etc etc etc......mucho buckos !!

moe

Bub cant see why there would be no running through woods and being a family member would be out of the question if you showed your dogs :p I have show dogs my ***** got Best ***** at Crufts last year, they run through woods on a regular basis, as this is what we do during working season, our dogs are shown in natural condition (no trimming) so I think it depends on what particular breed you have, a show dogs life is not just shows, ours live in our home and are first and formost pets.

Mo

bubbatd

Moe...I do agree that some breeds are shown naturally. But if you notice, the winning breeds are usually groomed and clipped to the 'nth degree. As to the Goldens running through woods and brush, you'd have to comb out a golden that has gone through a burr patch etc......to understand the loss of coats.

I'd say there's definitely a big difference there, Grammy! I don't even want to think about de-burring a Golden! :eek: I'm afraid if I were doing it there would be scissors involved, lol! Shiva and Kharma do a great job of de-burring Bimmer for me - not so sure how much he enjoys it, though. He gets most of them by himself, but they take care of any he misses.

moe

Renee, it would be eiaser if you went to my website :p for some reason I have real problems getting pictures on here. this is my web addressICESCAPE ALASKAN MALAMUTES you can see in the working page and Bailey and willows page my dogs working and showing

Mo

Members online

No members online now.