The Santa Topic... *possible spoilers*

darkchild16

We are Home.
I believed until 6 or so. Then some kids in the bathroom at school made fun of us (my sister and I) because we still believed... after that we acted like of course we never really believed. I don't really remember... but I do remember the bathroom accident.

I didn't want to do the Santa thing with my kids but with them going to school, it's just pretty hard. We definitely don't overdo it though... although I *might* have slipped a comment about how Santa only comes for kids who are good... ok... maybe a couple times... or 3 or 4. But Lisa just said 'we are good!', so I guess she just doesn't understand what 'being good' is LOL... and it's probably just going to bite me in the ass when they get presents even though they're being brats. So definitely not going to do this again lol.

But yeah, between seeing Santa at the mall, and the North Pole train ride we had last year with Santa... and Santa going to their school and bringing them stuff... it would just seem mean and totally killjoy to tell them he's not real. I guess they'll figure it out eventually.

And yeah, tough one explaining to them why we're going to bring toys for Toys for tots or why I sent a girl I 'adopted' some toys. It's seriously really hard to try not to ruin it. I'm probably overthinking it but at some point they'll realize that all the presents come with the same gift wrap right? And that it's Mommy's writing on them? And where do you hide them anyway? Right now it's in the office and there's a door knob cover on it but I'm guessing they'll figure out how to open that eventually...

Mine are in my closet with a eyelet latch thats almost at the top of the door :rofl1::rolleyes: They can get anything else open/

milos_mommy

My mom hid ours in the attic I think or on the high shelves in her closet and just put them in shopping bags we couldn't see through. I NEVER found my christmas gifts when I was a kid, but I also never looked for them.

Miakoda

We do "Santa" with the boys. And no, we don't hold them to "you better be nice and not naughty" stuff. Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.

However, as a Christian househould, we also celebrate the birth of Jesus. Contrary to popular belief, most Christians know Jesus was not born on the night of December 24th/early morning on the 25th. ;) But I explain to the boys that since we don't know exactly when Jesus was born, we just celebrate his birthday that day. So in addition to leaving cookies for Santa, we also bake a cake for Jesus' birthday. :)

Especially during this time of year, I try to stress the importance of kindness and love towards other people to the boys. I want them to know that not everyone has the material things we have, or the food or necessary items that we do, or even a family of their own to spend time with. So we put together food baskets and buy toys and household items (including medicines! you wouldn't believe how many go without basic Tylenol all because of the cost...), and then we donate them to the church or specific group of people collecting such items to distribute to families in need.

The "Christmas spirit", for my boys, is one in where they go out of there way to show love to others. Now, I urge this all year long, but let's face it - holidays are especially hard for many people.

I almost cried today when Cole hugged the lady bagging our groceries at the local Winn-Dixie and told her "thank you". He does these things so often, and he's such a selfless child, especially for a 6-yr-old. (This is a child that went up to an elderly WWII veteran in a wheelchair at Sam's Club and asked him if he could sit in his lap and ride. He didn't say one thing about the man missing his legs, but rather asked the man all kinds of questions about monster trucks and horses and just jabbered on. The wife was almost in tears because she said children always just stare at her husband and people hardly ever speak to them. Not Cole. He has no fear of people, and loves to say "hi" to everyone we meet.)

LindaJD

My kids believed in Santa and I did too as a kid, wouldn't do it any other way. So many memories. When my son asked if Santa was real and I could tell by the way he asked it was time to fess up, the first thing he said was "does dad know?".

Miakoda

Who says they'll be empty? :p
LOL. Because you, the parent, are so darned excited about all the goodies you bought, and you honestly just can't wait to see their faces when they get to see it. :lol-sign:

For example, I sold enough baby stuff to get the older two boys LeapPad 2's, and then I found a LeapPad 1 on Amazon for just $35, so he got one too. Then I found out you can share the apps between three different devices, so I got all excited that I only have to buy something once. And let me tell you - those things are COOL! I've been playing with one all night tonight. :rofl1:

(I wanted these because Cole will be starting therapy in the spring, as well as begin seeing some new doctors, and waiting isn't Cole's best trait. These will be awesome to help him pass the time without wandering all over a waiting room. And if I buy one for one boy, I must buy one for all. That's a rule most parents know pretty well. LOL)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We do "Santa" with the boys. And no, we don't hold them to "you better be nice and not naughty" stuff. Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.

However, as a Christian househould, we also celebrate the birth of Jesus. Contrary to popular belief, most Christians know Jesus was not born on the night of December 24th/early morning on the 25th. ;) But I explain to the boys that since we don't know exactly when Jesus was born, we just celebrate his birthday that day. So in addition to leaving cookies for Santa, we also bake a cake for Jesus' birthday. :)

Especially during this time of year, I try to stress the importance of kindness and love towards other people to the boys. I want them to know that not everyone has the material things we have, or the food or necessary items that we do, or even a family of their own to spend time with. So we put together food baskets and buy toys and household items (including medicines! you wouldn't believe how many go without basic Tylenol all because of the cost...), and then we donate them to the church or specific group of people collecting such items to distribute to families in need.

The "Christmas spirit", for my boys, is one in where they go out of there way to show love to others. Now, I urge this all year long, but let's face it - holidays are especially hard for many people.

I almost cried today when Cole hugged the lady bagging our groceries at the local Winn-Dixie and told her "thank you". He does these things so often, and he's such a selfless child, especially for a 6-yr-old. (This is a child that went up to an elderly WWII veteran in a wheelchair at Sam's Club and asked him if he could sit in his lap and ride. He didn't say one thing about the man missing his legs, but rather asked the man all kinds of questions about monster trucks and horses and just jabbered on. The wife was almost in tears because she said children always just stare at her husband and people hardly ever speak to them. Not Cole. He has no fear of people, and loves to say "hi" to everyone we meet.)
Yep this.

Just because we do the Santa thing doesn't mean Hannah doesn't know that gifts and things aren't also given by us. She helped me pack up bags full of food to donate to the mission and bags full of toys for a local organization

Practicing lOve and givIng and selflessness is top priority(wrll after celebrating Jesus' birth) but Santa is a super fun little extra that brings us all so much joy. And like Linda posted... It is amazing how kids will sometimes focus on keeping it alive for their parents even when the truth comes out for them. Kids are truly amazing beings

Pops2

Just curious - what do you mean by so there is no conflict about God? Do you mean you don't want them to see that adults talk about things they can't see such as Santa, find out it's not "real", and believe God is in the same category as Santa?
close. we don't wat them to learn that mom & dad LIED about santa & decide that maybe they lied about god too.

I definitely do Santa, just relate it more to Yule when possible. He is, for us, the energy of the season manifest in a character. So, yes, we give presents from "santa" but as the kids grow older they will understand we do that to honor the giving energy. I like it, to me it makes it bigger than just a present exchange. And we do also give presents from "mom and dad" as well.

We do tooth fairy and Ostara bunny as well.

Rach

I believed in Santa when young and so did my son. He's now 20 and I still say to him to this day "If you don't believe, you don't receive" I never played the naughty or nice thing with him.... His gifts from Santa always came wrapped in a different wrapping paper....

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Fun fact: We had the little mouse (La petite souris) and not the tooth fairy lol I guess it's a european thing my mom picked up? but same concept.
I hope to go with tooth fairy for future kids. Fairies > Mice.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Oh yeah... don't really do the naughty/nice thing here either since I know I will not be able to withhold the presents I have for her LOL. I also don't want to taint the season with a "be good or else"

discipline is everyday stuff not the special stuff like Christmas. she may lose out on allowance money or have something taken away but not Christmas

Lyzelle

I got the Santa threat when I was little. Nothing about being good or thankful or whatever. Just the threat to do whatever my parents told me to do "Or else". Same with the Easter Bunny. Birthday presents. So on so forth.

I can't remember a time when I believed in him as a kid. Not sure if my brother ever did, either. Same goes with the other holiday characters. The most I ever believed in was my Grandmother's food. ;)

Brattina88

My parents did the Santa thing, they never really threatened behavior with Santa, we we pretty good kids, the only thing I remember was going to bed on Christmas Eve otherwise he'd skip our house if we were awake lol

I stopped believing pretty young though (around 6) and we talked about it and she told me not to ruin it for my brother, so I played along and even helped them. I distracted him at the store when she bought presents from Santa, too :p I remember my friends being MUCH older than me and believing, but I never said anything to any of them because I didn't want them to lose the fun because it did take the fun out of it for me knowing like that :p

If I ever had kids, I'd probably do the same thing, pretty laid back. But I do want them to really know the religious importance of Christmas, I wish I would have.
I know a family that goes all out, making Santa footprints in the house, reindeer poop, the whole nine yards. I thought the Santa footprints were creepy personally (lol) but the children (they're adults now) were MAD as heck when they found out their parents not only lied but went to extreme lengths to decieve. It's interesting hearing everyones perspectives on it.

Taqroy

This drives me insane. Once my cousin's kid was 5 and up EVERY Christmas my cousin would threaten to take Christmas away. Starting in November. "Do you want to have a tree? Do you want to have presents? Because you're going to get it all taken away. Do you want to ruin Christmas for everyone?"

/facepalm. And no, she never actually took Christmas away and there's very valid reasons her kid is awful.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I was always told that there was a Santa, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

When I was 6, I really wanted this toy called GoGo The Walking Pup for Christmas. I opened all of my toys and was disappointed that she wasn't under the tree. My dad was all like "wait- there's something in the fireplace!" Apparently "Santa" forgot to put her under the tree. It's one of my favorite Christmas memories :)

We always left cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer. My parents wrapped the "Santa" presents in different wrapping paper to make it more believable.

My parents never used Christmas or Santa as a threat against me. I knew about the "naughty and nice" list, but I figured you had to be REALLY naughty to not get gifts.

My parents told me that the Santas in the mall were "Santa's helpers." Santa is obviously very busy and can't leave the North Pole until Christmas Eve, so he sends his "helpers" to find out what the kids want. Haha.

I believed until I was 10. After that, I always helped my parents play "Santa" for my little sister.

I definitely want to do the whole Santa thing with our kids. I just think it's too much fun to not do it!

milos_mommy

Do people really threaten to not have Christmas if their kids are bad or don't do certain stuff?

When I say I'm going to use the naughty/nice thing I mean I'm going to remind my kid "santa is watching" and good behavior gets rewarded and give them opportunities to have good behavior noticed - like a letter from "Santa" saying how it was nice that they've been sharing so well at school or something.

Not like "if you don't quit whining we're not getting a Christmas tree and SANTA ISN'T COMING TO OUR HOUSE THIS YEAR." People are INSANE.

I'm not a parent. If I was a parent I wouldn't tell my children Santa was anything other than a fictional character. I would feel I was being dishonest with my children otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.