How much have you spent on training?

Taqroy

Basically what the title says. I just added up what it would have cost me if I had paid full price for all the training classes my dogs have taken. The grand total? One thousand eight hundred and ten dollars. :yikes:

That's just the price of the classes. That doesn't include how much I've spent on treats, collars, leashes, harnesses, etc. It's not including the behavior work either - that would add another 400-500 dollars since I would feel obliged to include the costs of the vet work we did on Mu and Tipper.

So, how much have you spent? And for people that get free or reduced classes how much would you have spent if you paid full price?

I'm not going to sit down and actually calculate it, but just by brainstorming the number of classes they've all taken and an average cost for each class... probably around $2000-2500.

Which honestly for 3 dogs who have each taken multiple classes for various activities over a period of several years, I'm not unhappy about. It's an investment. ;)

Shelteez

$70 here, for puppy class and basic obedience. Then i train on my own after that. I've shopped around too but after not agreeing some of the training methods i did/do it on my own. I can be picky LoL.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No way to tell. Seriously. We've taken so many lessons. Just since last August it would be around $500 in herding lessons.

If I had to guess, training classes + lessons + clinics + rentals = somewhere around $3000. Some of this was not paid for, though.

That doesn't include entry fees and membership costs. :yikes:

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Probably around $1200 just for Quinn. Obedience, agility, and a herding assessment. It's hard to tell as we don't pay a big sum for x months of classes, but pay for each class individually so I just kind of guesstimated! This is just classes, not gear, gas, anything like that.

Oh, and tack on $50 for a tracking clinic we did!

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Around 300 give or take for Teagan.

I am planning on hopfully getting a behavoural consultant in to help with Teagan and Mitsu and their issues, if it can't be resolved by some training and managment on my part. And thats gonna cost me about 350.00

JacksonsMom

Training classes... literally barely anything. He's done one agility class at $150 so that's it. lol. Everything else I taught at home. :)

However, this year I REALLY wanna do a nosework class or dock diving. So we shall see.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
When I was taking weekly agility classes with two dogs it was running about $1800/yr, but now that I'm taking classes with 4 dogs less regularly I'm not quite sure how much it adds up to and I'm not sure I want to know. ;) Thankfully I just got approval to become a member of the local dog training club, so after my intern period is up in a few months all my classes there will go from $75/dog to $0/dog! :D

MicksMom

Between assisting when we had rally classes, and now running the run thrus, I get free classes. I added up what it would have cost me and came up with $1,220. That's for 1 dog.

I hate to count. Are we talking yearly? Several thousand, unfortunately. My club dues are $400 a year, but we travel often to train. So plane, hotel, rental car, etc. And club is $25 of gas twice a week.

Ugh I need a job.

M

mutts

$0.00!! I did it all myself. Hard work but I am enjoying it. I don't agree with a lot of trainers in my area (just the local PetSmart personel that have literally no idea what they are doing) so I decided to do it on my own and my dog knows all basic commands. That's all I really need from her anyway even though I think flyball would be really fun for her and myself to learn. Also, she is OBSESSED with frisbees. Something to think about :)

Those of us paying lots of money mostly compete, big difference.

I refuse to count. Counting my feed alone for tax purposes was painful enough.
Ugh...competitions. Yeah, add on more money, our big ones are all out of the state or out of the country. Last June we traveled to Belgium to compete. NOT cheap.

I have a "buying food" rule. I absolutely CANNOT buy horse feed and dog food at the same time, I get so depressed. :p

Taqroy

When I was taking weekly agility classes with two dogs it was running about $1800/yr, but now that I'm taking classes with 4 dogs less regularly I'm not quite sure how much it adds up to and I'm not sure I want to know. ;) Thankfully I just got approval to become a member of the local dog training club, so after my intern period is up in a few months all my classes there will go from $75/dog to $0/dog! :D
I get free training classes (now) but spent at least 1300 on classes before that. I was actually getting really sad because I didn't think I'd be able to do training for everyone because of costs. So yeah, $0/dog FTW. Lol.

I hate to count. Are we talking yearly? Several thousand, unfortunately. My club dues are $400 a year, but we travel often to train. So plane, hotel, rental car, etc. And club is $25 of gas twice a week.

Ugh I need a job.
My total is from the amount of time that I've been in formal training classes - about two years. And I forgot about the cost of gas. I don't even want to add that up.

$0.00!! I did it all myself. Hard work but I am enjoying it. I don't agree with a lot of trainers in my area (just the local PetSmart personel that have literally no idea what they are doing) so I decided to do it on my own and my dog knows all basic commands. That's all I really need from her anyway even though I think flyball would be really fun for her and myself to learn. Also, she is OBSESSED with frisbees. Something to think about :)
I envy you a bit because I just couldn't do it... frankly I lack the discipline to train very effectively on my own. I benefit a great deal from the structure of a class and being answerable to someone else (even though they don't really have authority over me, in my head they do and I've spent the money, dangit! :p ).

Although... I also like that they are regularly exposed to different groups of dogs and people in classes, and I've tried some things like agility (just "for fun" classes so far) and nosework that I wouldn't have been able to do on my own. I guess I am doing all the mushing training myself, but that's a bit different. It's not that hard to teach your dog who already likes to pull, to pull. :p

Members online

No members online now.