Post about Ojeriza

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The CAFIB standard has been around for decades, if not longer; it's not a new-fangled piece of write-up, really. What the issue has become is that the Fila is moving out of the shadows and into more of a spotlight, in part because of the misunderstanding about ojeriza.

Renee and BP are right, there really is no good way to describe the proper temperment via the internet, it does need to be experienced. I've met Kharma a few times and it was just awesome to see her go from "I don't know you, GTFO, noob" to loving the scratchings she was getting, to attempting to find and disarm someone after she heard a gunshot during the night and then went happily through Petsmart the next day. There is something dangerous in a dog that can think for itself, but I would rather have a dog that can reason than a dog that tends to bite first and ask questions later, such as a Malenois.

I personally can't wait to get a Fila. I understand that it's going to be a daily schooling to teach my dog how to comfortably move through the world and not over-react to everything around it. I've had the overly thinking Lab, so I've had practice of sorts in that venue. ;)

Heheh . . . I'd forgotten you'd got such a dose of Kharma, Zoom ;)

Remember when Hunter almost knocked Grammy down and Kharma put herself between Grammy and Hunter and wouldn't let him come near her again :rofl1:

PIRARUCU

"ojeriza"

Oi from Brasil, tudo bem? I hope I posted this right? This man's opinion and comments are disturbing, such words thrown around without knowledge or care and without even any words on the POSITIVE about the love The Fila gives. And for a man that seems intelligent and has some good things to say this is just outright tripe:spam:.

No the dogs are not expensive In Brasil, they are very cheap here. And rehomeing can be done, if done properly. The breeding program of the fila is not to breed crazy nutty sharklike dogs that will kill children and such, I would be more afraid of a Rotty or Belgian dog, I have seen the look in their eye and it is very different I have known some that would chew your fingers off if given the chance, very scary. I do not trust those german dogs, dobermans too I have been bitten by some, but I am not going to sit here and slander a breed and call for a ban,in an entire country that has individual people some of whom love and repect these dogs dearly and take proper steps to be responsible owners, until you have owned a True FILA, CALA BOCA, which means close mouth, and until you have visited Brasil and been to a CAFIB expo you have no clue and are very uninformed and should not speak on the subject.

Extinction is forever, watch what you say. The actions of maladjusted owners will always be around and much rather a focus and in the spotlight and in the paper too ,the media love that stuff, there is always a menace and scapegoat to blame and treat as such and name as a TERROR and menace, it is very sad, but the people who feed that monster are the ones who keep talking about it like gossip.

Some people in north america give their dogs prozac because they are hyperactive? What the hell is that? Let's give a drug to a dog that I am too LAZY to walk, next they will have doctors diagnosing dogs with ADHD and MANIC DEPRESSION and such absurd ideas,what a joke,:confused: when hey, take your dog for a walk, pay some attention to it, these animals used to have jobs and work you know! Before the mcdonalds urban texting apartment realityshow lifestyle came into play your sheperd used to herd sheep and your Terrier used to kill rats and such.

I am writing to educate lovers of this breed. I have read all replies and all posts on this subject so I felt it nessecery to write out of love and respect for this animal The Fila, I write these words for the sake of this breed and to respect the evolution and love of The dogs that have passed away into memory and time and into our hearts and minds as memories.:eek:

These dogs are rare even in Brasil, many People here have never even seen one or even know what one is. You do not see them walking around everywhere. As said before if not for the Fazendas from Minas and other rural areas In O Brasil and the men and women who fought to preserve it's purity this breed might have been lost amongst the confusion of a modern world, just like other breeds that have been dumbed down and ruined by the mad scientist breeder who has no clue and wants huge dogs and cares less about the temperment of that huge dog and wants a certain look rather than a certain personality, the latter is scary, in a world where money reigns supreme and more is better than the chosen few that are correct and trustworthy.

"The breed standard", is like pizza, I like mine with cheese, but when you start adding fish and all kinds of fruits and stuff you have just ruined "the standard", your pizza will get a thumbs down. Black dogs, will get a thumbs down, black dogs no existe. Dogs that are white will get a thumbs down, Dogs with too many white stains will get a thumbs down, Dogs overly aggressive for no apparent reason will get a thumbs down and should not be bred. Mind you when you see a CAFIB exposition ,when the dogs come out it is not like some rabid beast that just go haywire berzerk insane at everything and everyone, it's in fact the exact opposite! They just stand there very still by there owners and do nothing,with their long tongues hanging, but mind you, stay five or so feet away, they would rather be left alone. Eyeing too many people and paying attention to the crowd is a thumbs down. Temperment test, when the dog is approached in agressive manner which is when it acts and why it acts, if it looks back at handler while defending it's space that is a thumbs down. If the dog does not look back at handler and goes straight ahead showing courage and confidence, I think a dog CAN posess courage and faith in his owners and return the same type of love in my opinion , that would be a thumbs up. Temperment test with chair, the dog should not be put off by the strange chair and should try to go around it to the actual person, hence a smart dog, thumbs up. The judge NEVER is allowed to touch the dog at any time, and you don't see dogs biting the judge, come on GET REAL! These tests take mere seconds to see what the dog does and how it reacts in a situation where the breed standard is evident, it is very different than some type of schutzhund trained dogs, those dogs scare me more than any fila.

The breed standard is there for a reason.Only the strong survive, imagine Brasil many hundreds of years ago, these dogs had to survive and people needed them as well to survive, imagine the stories of such dogs, defending farmers and working so close with them as well to do their job ,communication and action was and is a must or life was quickly over. Brasil is very different, Communication is very different here. Translation, please do not get hooked on the one word " OJERIZA" and in trying to define it, just know it is real and exists and is shown through action and love for the family and the understanding instinctual of precious life and the need to be loved and such and fed food, pack preservation and so on.

Dogs have always had jobs, regardless of how big their head was or how fluffy they were and how much money one could sell a dog for, the fact remains that this species has evolved into a releationship with humans, we are the weird ones who walk upright, they are all we have in this world besides each other, so watch what you say, extinction is forever.

So, Translation now, the simple fact that portuguese is very different from english, english has two words as in portuguese one word for the same,means several things, example, PARE, means stop, it also means to and from, like a gift pare me to you, also Portuguese from Brasil is very different from Portuguese from Portugal.

Back to the dogs, The fila is not a mean violent dog, I have met and seen mean crazy dogs that are both scary and dangerous and will bite anyone or anything even the handler if given the chance, now while I would not pet one Fila that is not mine or try to give it a kiss on the mouth, I understand the drive which is apparent and displayed through action and respect is due for animal and handler. Now, this word "ATTACK' I think is the wrong word to use, it is more a defense when provoked, like any smart animal defending it's cubs or family or pack from danger, it is warrented if you approach with intent, the dog would rather be left alone, that word"ATTACK" to me is a human word that has violent intent tagged to the meaning and should be left out of discussion and reserved for the crazy unsound dog that has no loyalty and just wants to bite anything and everyone, I would not want a dog that would just attack for no reason, who would? I do not want an attack dog, rather a smart dog that has traits and confidence and has a sound history of being stable.

I saw a show yesterday about some people who owned Chimpanzees, and got their faces ripped off or even worse , got killed by this animal, some people are just crazy to own such a thing and to think it human and as such. The breed standard is there to trust that steps have been taken to breed sound dogs that are not full of fear , the kind that turn around and bite the owner so as to run from somethings that scares it , who would want that in a dog? Those quiet dogs in the corner full of fear are very scary. So, in closing, The breed standard is there to preserve and outline what, how, why, where, who, and when exact specifications on the future breed and squelch all fakes and frauds,for this or dogs that look more mastiff, I have seen many websites with fila that does not look like a fila at all, they say it is and talk all this and that but to me some of these are mutant mutts and fakes and some people who just want to breed some mean monster dog, IE:check said pedigree and how far they wandered from it to unsound dogs not of fila descent more a mixed race, I think it abuse and genitic deformity of a loving animal with purpose stated through life and action that has been EARNED throughout time with both history and fact laying as evidence beside the carcass, skeleton and hearts of our faithful breed and those of us who love and know what their hearts contain.

If you read this Muito Obrigado, I know it was long.I do not want the pure race of the Fila to return to dust unloved for their precious life given throughout time and evolution by the hands of a few unscrupulous people with the wrong wording , words are powerful. At a CAFIB expo all dogs look the same, the same gait, the same body and the same face, the same. Let's try to keep them the same even if the modern world changes the duties of our faithful friends, the blood is old, the will is even older and the love is legend.:hail: Eu amo O Fila, Tchau

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Thank you for taking the time to write such a long post! It's obvious how much you adore this breed. I'm assuming you own at least one Fila? Would you mind sharing pictures?

Members online

No members online now.