Rottweilers and love

Heter

Hey, we've recently adopted a Rottweiler named Veeno, we've been noticing that he really doesn't seem to care for affection. When we pet him he always trys to move away, and doesnt get very excited at all when we see him for the first time in the day. My experience with dogs has always been them being open to any petting and attention, and i use to have a dog that got so excited to see me in the morning, that she would pee all over herself. So what's the deal here with Veeno?

oriondw

user not active
Some dogs take alot of time to trust their owners. Depending on breed it could be few days, months or even a lifetime.

Doberluv

For him, it may be a big adjustment coming into a new family...maybe causing him some stress. Do you know his past? Maybe he was neglected and it's outside of his aquired "comfort zone" to be too demonstrative. Give him time and let him come to you and make the overtures.... give a little, gentle encouragement without too much pushing into his "space." I bet he'll come around after a while. He'll learn that you are ALL about goodness, safety and that you are his provider of the things he needs. It takes time to develop a bond. When that gets going, I'm sure he'll latch onto you like most dogs. He is, after all, a pack animal and he NEEDS his family. It will all work out.

Doberluv's right. Don't force things. Let him learn that you love him and that affection is a good thing. He's probably overwhelmed right now if he came from a situation that wasn't affectionate. It's not unusual for a dog like a Rottie to take some time to size up the situation either.

I agree with everything that was said. He'll probably get more affectionate over time. Rotties are wonderful dogs, smart and sensitive. Just give him some time to mull over the situation and he'll come around. I'd love to see a picture!

Amstaffer

Rotts don't change owners as easy as some breeds, it might just take some time too make the change. Rotts do not give their affection as easy as some dogs but when they do they are as loving and loyal as they come. They bond really tightly to their owners.

I just read your post and had to register just for you and as a rottie owner I want to give you my thoughts. You have already been given awesome advice.
I rescue rotties, right now I have a 4 year old female I got last Monday, she had a rough past and I've just let her warm up to me, it's going to take a long time to trust but when they do look out, you wont be able to go to the bathroom alone, they want to be by your side all the time. I dont know if I'm allowed to refer you to a great rottie site but if you do a search on google and just research rottie forums there are 2-3 great ones he's a baby and you have alot to learn about the breed, they are very head strong and do have your pup nutered asap, better for him & you. I hope this helped a little. I cant wait to hear more

LOVE THE TAIL......

GSDFan05

I have to echo what others have already said, just give it some time, try not to let your feelings get hurt if the dog doesn't seem to bond with you right away. I have seen some extremely loving and affectionate Rotties (there's one boarding where I work right now that loves to rub against my legs like a gigantic cat). They are very intelligent, which means they may need a little more time to adjust than other breeds because they actually do think things through. Hang in there and keep us updated on how things go for you!

Athe

Some dogs/pups are just more aloof than others. I have seen it in all breeds of dogs with all sorts of socialization and cuddling when pups. One Newf pup was aloof right from 4 weeks of age, no health problems etc. He is now 5 years of age and still aloof, he comes for affection on his terms, and this started as a pup. What I do with him (and I have been bringing him around slowly since I first met him). I talk to him constantly; when I talk to him I use an extremely high pitched child like excited tone I pretend to be overly excited to see him. Example, I come into the kennel and get down to his level and say in a very excited tone, "hey puppy dog, how are you?" talk talk then when I go over to see him I go directly for his belly for a belly rub, or rub him behind his ears or under the chin...or scratch his rear end. The belly rub works for most dogs (I have met a few that don't like the belly rubbed). This is not a dominant gesture and cannot be misconstrued by the dog and put them in defense mode. I have to be extremely upbeat around him, and low and behold he is coming around and now gets excited to see me and comes at a gallop and stops short in front of me so I can rub his belly.
You can also try desentizing them by using favorite treats (I live boiled liver peices). Make of the pup, and give a few treats...the pup soon will associate good things happening when you or others are around and belly rubs will be appreciated.

Last edited:

avenlee

What a cutie pawtootie! Look at the size of that tongue! Adorable.

Oh, and everyone seems to have the same tiles on their floors :p

Members online